Why become a member? ×

Barefaced video

ben4343

9 hours ago, EBS_freak said:

Interesting stuff - if this works as described, that should start to sort out some of the nasty directional situations you get in the pubs. Logo is better too.

It's not a completely new idea, though an interesting application of an old one to electric guitar. The bit that I do like is the angled pieced behind the speaker. You always get standing waves in a square box and these would prevent that. I've put a triangular brace on the back of closed hi-fi cab designs before now and there are lots of similar ideas floating around in 1940/50's designs. This is a neat solution.

Back in 1973 I built and sold a few PA speakers with conical horns on the ports. I didn't know about Thiele/Small  in those days and there were all sorts of designs floating about. Amps were very expensive and speaker handling fairly low so efficiency was all. I'd started to design a direct radiating cab with a horn on the back when I needed something for a quick job, so instead of building the folded horn I intended I just moved one of the panels to make a simple triangular horn like the one Alex came up with but facing forward. The cab sounded good, was simple to construct and people started asking for them so I never finished the design, just sold what I had. 

Very little treble came out of my horns and I hate the idea of sound bouncing around randomly off everything behind the cab. As a sound engineer you'd probably share that horror. You'd also have a cab that sounded good in some rooms and not others. To be fair Alex was only speculating when asked, and if it sounds good then it sounds good, I've been amazed how long it's taken for people to get round to looking at better guitar cabs. 

• Like 1

I think were all sometimes a bit prone to the "must buy a sexy bass" and then amp and then possibly, if we have a bit of money left over some sort of cab. One eureka moment for me was after a number of years of playing through a variety of mongrel amps and cabs I bought a second hand Trace amp and 410. It was like night and day to what I'd been used to. I still like having a sexy bass but having owned and used a number of high end Barefaced, DR Bass, Vanderkley and Berg cabs I do notice a big difference to the sound when I use more budget or older design cabs. I think a good cab and matching amp can make a cheaper bass sound better but a cheaper system doesn't get the best out of a good bass.

• Like 2

I really enjoy @alexclaber's enthusiasm and I would really like to meet Rob Chapman as I think he'd also be great for a geek out. Great video and a thumbs up from me! Looks like I gotta try the guitar cabs too then! :) 

13 hours ago, Phil Starr said:

Very little treble came out of my horns and I hate the idea of sound bouncing around randomly off everything behind the cab. As a sound engineer you'd probably share that horror.

With my sound engineers hat on, this is what was actually my concern when I was watching the mic moving around the room. Sound guys like cabs for the fact that they are directional and don't flood the stage with (too much guitar). I can imagine a load of sound guys facepalming as guitarists turn up with these cabs. As I say though, it'll be great for those bands where the PA is just for vocals and the backline does all the heavy lifting. Having said that, I can't imagine Dorje playing many places where there isn't PA support... so Rob Chapman is going to be peeing sound engineers off across the lands!

36 minutes ago, Musicman20 said:

I do think BF should use that styling on the bass cabs as well. 

I doubt whether they will. Guitarists tend to like a vintage look - hence the script logo and so on. We tend to prefer a more functional look. I'm sure Alex realises this.

19 minutes ago, Dan Dare said:

I doubt whether they will. Guitarists tend to like a vintage look - hence the script logo and so on. We tend to prefer a more functional look. I'm sure Alex realises this.

Isn't the look of the barefaced cabs one of the most common complaints about them?

• Like 1

I exchanged mails with Alex discussing a cab build and asked if the new logo design would be introduced on the bass cabinets and he replied saying it wouldn’t work well cosmetically or in terms of placement on metal grilled cabinets. 

On 06/07/2019 at 14:45, wateroftyne said:

Not a criticism of the cabs themselves. I just don’t know why they’ve persevered with that logo for so long (IMO etc.)

Am I the only one who really likes the logo on their bass cabs? :D