Why become a member? ×

LaBella 760fx flats

ped

I thought I’d give these a try since I haven’t used them before. My EB Cobalt flats went rusty (weird... but they’re sending me a new set) so put these on in the meantime. 

I like light strings and didn’t know that LaBella did them so previously I mainly used TI flats which I liked, which before the EBs came out I thought were the lightest flats you can get.

The labellas sound great - they’re smoother and more grippy than the Cobalts right now and they have a real chunky sound with a strong lower mid bias I’d say - the top end is very ‘barky’ and right, less sustain than the EBs but they really cut through. 

Otherwise not that different in all honesty. The G string is slightly lighter than the EB and tension feels low giving me some bite when I dig in. 

Nit bad value either, ordered from Bass Direct on Monday. 

11 minutes ago, M@23 said:

The EB going rusty likely wasn't a bad set. They seem to do that for some people. Me being one of them. I know a couple of guitar players that have the same issue with their skinny EB strings. 

Yes I found a couple of people who had mentioned it online (and some typically terse replies from Sterling Ball). Shame because I liked them. It can’t be sweat related because they have only need used for grooving at home. 

Still, I’m pretty convinced that the labellas sound really nice in their own way so I’ll stick with them for now. 

15 minutes ago, ped said:

Yes I found a couple of people who had mentioned it online (and some typically terse replies from Sterling Ball). Shame because I liked them. It can’t be sweat related because they have only need used for grooving at home. 

Still, I’m pretty convinced that the labellas sound really nice in their own way so I’ll stick with them for now. 

Shocked to hear that from him... Not. I don't think it's a sweat thing either. They sounded great when brand new, especially on a Stingray! Very strange, and I've never experienced/heard of it on other brand. La Bella are generally pretty dependable! 

• 1 month later...

I’ve gone back to the cobalts, actually - I did end up finding the LaBellas a little too dampened for my tastes and what I’m playing on currently. I’m sure I’ll try the. Again when I want a more Motown sound. They felt great, anyway. 

• 1 month later...

Ok I’ve been comparing these labellas to the cobalts for a while now. I’ve found the cobalts edge off quite quickly and the treble end becomes a bit too ‘snappy’ and harsh. The labellas have a more barky sound as they’ve mellowed and the output seems higher also although they’re a lot quieter acoustically. 

I think I’ll stick with the labellas now, especially as I wasn’t best pleased about ‘rustgate’ which EB continue to deny. I think the cobalt strings were great but I don’t want to have to replace them often to keep them sounding at their best. I’m hoping the labellas will develop positively with age - anyone able to comment to how they develop over (more) time?

Yes on the SB1. Initially I preferred the cobalts because I suppose I was clinging on to the nearly round sound but as they’ve mellowed I’ve started to like the flatter qualities more and more.. I’ll try and do a sample recording but the MFD with the tone half way sounds woody, barky, rounded and kind of bouncy. And definitely higher output - and it was high before!

• Thanks 1