Why become a member? ×

Mid control for Ibanez

B.Flat

Can anyone tell me, in layman's terms, If I could add a mid control, with possible two-choice freq. switch, to the existing Ibanez two-band preamp in my 1980 Ibanez RS924 ?

If it is possible it would need to take its power from the existing 9v battery.

I have a feeling this will not be possible but hope springs eternal etc..............

John East does a mid control (with variable freq sweep) that functions as a stand alone unit. I don't see why that couldn't be run either before or after your existing 2-band using the same power supply. Have a chat with John and I'm sure he'll sort you out.

Hi Ikay.

I have investigated the East mid control but I would prefer a switchable, 800/250hz ?, rather than continuously variable freq. pot.

I have looked for self-build mid circuits on the net with no joy as yet (wrong search terms?), do you have any suggestions ?

If you're up for building it yourself here's a circuit for a mid control. This has sweepable freq (160 - 1kHz) but, as ITU says, you could replace the dual gang pot (P2A / P2B in the schematic) with a switch and two trimmers (or perhaps two dual gang mini pots in this case) to select your chosen mid frequencies.

http://www.redcircuits.com/Page168.htm

It might be simpler to just swap out the existing preamp for a three-band with switchable mids! Eg. Aguilar OBP-3, Bartolini HR 2.4 AP/918 and others.

Edited by ikay

When faced with a similar issue as the OP, i did use the John East module, wiring it in series, after the original 2 band eq. It worked fine, but to be honest, if you are going to go that route, you might as well get a new 3 band preamp. I’ll explain why...

2 band preamps tend to be voiced differently to 3 bands, eg frequency centre and Q value of boost/cut (ie how smooth it is, or how far it extends). Generally, for 3 band; bass/treble EQ’s are a bit narrower in the frequency ranges they affect and frequency centres are pushed further apart - so that there is less overlap with the mids control.

Given the effort in moving the controls around, rewiring the circuit, finding a mids module you like... much easier to go with a 3 band preamp!

Edited by roman_sub