Why become a member? ×

I've done a very stupid thing. Ebay bid dilemma

Guest MoJo

1 hour ago, Shaggy said:

With his more than passing resemblance to Fred; mystery-solving pal of Scooby-doo, I'd imagine him driving one of these.....

image.jpeg

It's certainly a mystery what goes into David's burgers.

In other news: sudden decline in local rat population.

• Sad 1

On 05/07/2019 at 22:07, Richard R said:

I'm going to get t-shirts printed with a picture of a Caterpillar sitting on a mushroom smoking a hookah and playing a bass guitar. Underneath will be the words "BassChat Forums - and you thought Alice went down a weird rabbit hole"

Any takers?

Like this?

fender.jpg.6a59feb39502f0f9a0e18404a8b0edbe.jpg

Edited by Jean-Luc Pickguard
updated image!
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Principality Shocked As Greatest Ever Welsh Poet Blasts Pop Star Richter Von Rickenbacher In Kids TV Sci-Fi Spat
By Fox News Wales Reporter Tudor Fordor

1741464231_dylanthomascodswallop.jpg.fcbdf4057c4aabed3088d3fcf217f9dd.jpg

The late Dylan Thomas spells it out

Le tout Wales reeled today as previously dead poet Dylan Thomas rose from the grave to denounce pop musician and respected international cheese commentator Mr Richter 'Ricky' Von Rickenbacher as a purveyor of codswallop.

Said Mr Thomas:

'There I was having a fag and enjoying eternity when someone came round to my house and said "That Ricky, he reckons the whole Gerry Anderson TV show thing was nothing to do with him". Well, I'm here to tell Ricky Von Rickenbacher I don't know if it was him or if it wasn't. But it's codswallop. Or it isn't. I don't care actually.

Mr Thomas added: 'Christ, this 21st century is a bit unpleasant. I need a drink. I need several drinks'.

A spokesman for Mr Von Rickenbacher said that his client entirely refuted any suggestion that he was responsible for the puppet-related thread derail.

The spokesman added: 'It's not the sort of thing he does'.

Next story: 90 Year-old Nun in Mercy Dash To Palace

Edited by skankdelvar
  • Haha 4

This thread certainly makes for disappointing reading. It is a shame to see so many BC'ers giving advice to suggest that the OP renege on the bid or simply make a fraudulent claim to force a refund. Buyer's remorse is unpleasant, but it is surely better than being a waster who backs out of a deal of their own making. I wonder, if the OP really didn't want the bass, why he felt compelled to place a bid? It is not really a huge amount of money by any standard. 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Chris2112 said:

This thread certainly makes for disappointing reading.

While I agree entirely with almost everything you said there (and have said so a few times)

It is not really a huge amount of money by any standard. 

I have a problem with this line. What is not a huge amount of money 'by any standard' of yours or mine, might not be of any standard to someone else. Obviously the OP could afford it, or he wouldn't have bid on it, but it always feels wrong deciding what is a lot of money to some people. I do know several people for whom £250 is a really huge amount of money.

• Like 1

This thread certainly makes for disappointing reading. It is a shame to see so many BC'ers giving advice to suggest that the OP renege on the bid or simply make a fraudulent claim to force a refund. Buyer's remorse is unpleasant, but it is surely better than being a waster who backs out of a deal of their own making. I wonder, if the OP really didn't want the bass, why he felt compelled to place a bid? It is not really a huge amount of money by any standard. 

+1. I suspect those suggesting the OP reneges would be frothing with righteous indignation if someone did the same to them.

• Like 1

As someone who sells, I really get annoyed with buyers who renege. The seller can flag you to eBay for action, he cannot leave you negative feedback but he can block you and post about you on eBay forums with a defence of truth if you reneged. Take it on the chin, he/she might be selling reluctantly to fund something important 

• Like 1

We obviously can't speak for the OP but I understand his "not wanting" the bass as he wasn't looking for that exact bass and had justified a bid of £250 and no more for it. Part of him must have wanted that bass to press the button and it was an unexpected result. He has said he'll buy it and there might be a bargain available for the next person 😁

• Like 1

I think it’s the willingness of people here to resort to untruth and poor dealing that is actually what @Chris2112 and I were commenting upon (I could have been more succinct). I don’t think that the fact that the OP is going to do the right thing after all is anything more than just exactly what one could reasonably expect 

Guest MoJo

Picked the bass up yesterday. Couldn’t resist having a little ‘go’, which only confirmed that I can’t play a six string bass

Now for sale here

40C08F3F-5705-420C-844D-41C8D28F8D14.thumb.jpeg.91917e56ccb9ffefd4e3e6806e9606ef.jpeg

3 hours ago, Dan Dare said:

+1. I suspect those suggesting the OP reneges would be frothing with righteous indignation if someone did the same to them.

An admission of a genuine mistake, politely worded, wouldn’t froth me. I certainly wouldn’t want to force the thing on someone who didn’t want it. What would froth me is someone trying to claim it wasn’t ‘as described’ etc. 

1 hour ago, MoJo said:

Picked the bass up yesterday. Couldn’t resist having a little ‘go’, which only confirmed that I can’t play a six string bass

Not even tempted to give it a bit more of a go?

Personally I can't play BTB basses either because the string spacing is crazily wide, but surely worth a try for a bit? :D

• Like 1