Why become a member? ×

I've done a very stupid thing. Ebay bid dilemma

Guest MoJo

20 hours ago, dannybuoy said:

I don't see it as a question of morality, just a simple question of do you want the bass or not?

It's too easy to impulse buy these days, but I believe you should have the right to change your mind without feeling guilty. No money has changed hands or item been dispatched, you haven't agreed to meet him then not shown up. The seller can relist with a single click and begrudgingly accept that's what happens from time to time when you sell on eBay.

Like many of us, I have on more than one occasion cancelled an order from a shop shortly after ordering, or returned the item after trying it out. That's a lot of inconvenience for a shop, yet seems more socially acceptable here!

Although it stands for nothing he's placed a bid in an auction not bought from a shop .That bid is meant to be binding but people just do what they want which is why ebay is no longer worth a look for  a lot of old devotees 

Just now, NikNik said:

We've all had impetuous and questionable button-hits on ebay but the etiquette for all buyers should be to pay up and wear the grief later. And sell on after a period of reflection. 

This. It's not that massive a sum, so take the hit. I've done the same. You can usually get much of your money back unless it's truly a piece of garbage.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, NikNik said:

...maybe do that nut and bridge work he's infamous for??

Or perhaps make it into an ambi-dextrous bass that can be flipped  - why hasn't Mark Phillips tried this yet?

If he strung it EADGDAE it could be done ;) .100 .80 .60 . 45 .60 .80 .100

Edited by Twigman
  • Like 1

I dont think the seller is obliged to pay for returns. The buyer who decides to return an item due to not being described correctly or has damage, has to return it at their cost by a trackable method.

AFAIK, only businesses pay to have items returned to them, unless the  rules have changed

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Twigman said:

Or perhaps make it into an ambi-dextrous bass that can be flipped  - why hasn't Mark Phillips tried this yet?

If he strung it EADGDAE it could be done ;) .100 .80 .60 . 45 .60 .80 .100

That will be seven strings : he'll be lost as he is accustomed to widening not narrowing the strings spacing. 🤔 😁

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HengistPod said:

Makes absolutely no difference. I sold a headless retrovibe bass to a guy on fleabay who was absolutely delighted that he'd won it.

Sent it off, he received it, next thing he's opened an eBay dispute case saying it had sharp edges on the frets - so wasn't as described, and he'd cut his hand playing it. He wanted a refund. I argued for a bit, but after taking advice I just had to suck it up - plus I had to pay for the return shipping. I assumed in my innocence that it's got damaged in transit.

As you may have guessed, there was absolutely nothing wrong with the bass when I got it back - the frets were dressed perfectly with not a sharp edge in sight. It was in perfect condition. The guy had just changed his mind when he got his hands on it.

Moral = eBay will ALWAYS side with the buyer in such cases. You just need to have the brass neck required to tell bare-faced lies when you decide you don't want something you've bought after all.

I'm not doubting it doesn't happen, I'm saying you're a douche bag if you're one of those that does it. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Hellzero said:

That will be seven strings : he'll be lost as he is accustomed to widening not narrowing the strings spacing. 🤔 😁

Thinking it would be easier to play if it was strung ..45 .60 .80 .100 .80 .60 .45 wouldn't it?

I might try it in a 'future project'.

Another thing worth mentioning that eBay offer these days - if the bid winner pulls out, as well as having the option to relist, the seller has the option to offer it to the second highest bidder.

If by taking part in the bidding war, you helped to push the price up a bit, then by placing a winning bid and pulling out, the seller might end up selling for a higher price than they would have done had you not participated! 😋

1 hour ago, Twigman said:

Thinking it would be easier to play if it was strung ..45 .60 .80 .100 .80 .60 .45 wouldn't it?

I might try it in a 'future project'.

Buy a Chapman stick. 😉

I quite like the idea, but prefer the first version as it's anti-stick, if you know what I mean.

6 hours ago, Ricky 4000 said:

Somebody said that the Russians once sold a nuclear submarine on ebay.

If they did (which I doubt), I'd bet that @skankdelvar would have put a bid on it.

31842224_aquaphibianterrorfish.jpg.231162760ca2ac48e94652d729514d22.jpg

In the event that I elect to pursue The Life Aquatic I shall instruct my people to build a full-size version of this above, an Aquapibian Terror Fish as deployed by His Majesty King Titan out of the TV documentary series Stingray.

Obviously I shall demand that my vessel be considerably more terrifying than the model above which exudes - rather - an air of cheerful gormlessness.

• Haha 6

21 minutes ago, skankdelvar said:

31842224_aquaphibianterrorfish.jpg.231162760ca2ac48e94652d729514d22.jpg

In the event that I elect to pursue The Life Aquatic I shall instruct my people to build a full-size version of this above, an Aquapibian Terror Fish as deployed by His Majesty King Titan out of the TV documentary series Stingray.

Obviously I shall demand that my vessel be considerably more terrifying than the model above which exudes - rather - an air of cheerful gormlessness.

Man! Is that a Chinese knock-off? - the eyes are all wrong, the colour too - it's neon green! (Percy) and the body proportion is all mushed up. 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, skankdelvar said:

His Majesty King Titan out of the TV documentary series Stingray.

Triton you derrière! God! I bet you play a...  Gibson. Oh you're right 'Titan'... Everything I know is lie..

Edited by visog
  • Haha 2

Guest MoJo
5 hours ago, Twigman said:

If you don't want it don't bid on it.

If you never wanted it why did you bid on it?

No idea why

1 hour ago, visog said:

Man! Is that a Chinese knock-off? - the eyes are all wrong, the colour too - it's neon green! (Percy) and the body proportion is all mushed up. 

Exactamundo! Not remotely terrifying. 

1 hour ago, visog said:

Triton you derrière! God! I bet you play a...  Gibson. Oh you're right 'Titan'... Everything I know is lie..

For the purposes of clarification:

Titan = Despotic marionette ruler of vast undersea realm, his reign enforced by '000's of spiky headed goons in 'terrifying' mechanical fish; also former master of Marina, slave, mute hottie and Lt. Atlanta Shore's rival for affections of Capt. Troy Tempest

Triton = 1. A Greek god, the messenger of the sea, offspring of Poseidon. Often confused with Titan (see above). 2. Popular brand of electric shower appliance

Aquaphibians

stingray-troy-aquaphibians.jpg

Aquaphibian 1: "Troy Tempest! You're f*cking nicked, me old beauty"

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

11 hours ago, skankdelvar said:

Exactamundo! Not remotely terrifying. 

For the purposes of clarification:

Titan = Despotic marionette ruler of vast undersea realm, his reign enforced by '000's of spiky headed goons in 'terrifying' mechanical fish; also former master of Marina, slave, mute hottie and Lt. Atlanta Shore's rival for affections of Capt. Troy Tempest

Triton = 1. A Greek god, the messenger of the sea, offspring of Poseidon. Often confused with Titan (see above). 2. Popular brand of electric shower appliance

Aquaphibians

stingray-troy-aquaphibians.jpg

Aquaphibian 1: "Troy Tempest! You're f*cking nicked, me old beauty"

I think this might be the furthest off topic I've seen a thread go on Basschat 😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

18 hours ago, fleabag said:

I dont think the seller is obliged to pay for returns. The buyer who decides to return an item due to not being described correctly or has damage, has to return it at their cost by a trackable method.

Not quite ... if the buyer is returning because he's decided he doesn't want it then he has to pay postage. He has to submit a "return request" first, which you can refuse.

If, however, he is a little poo who has decided he doesn't want it but claims falsely that it's "faulty" or "not as described", then the seller has to pay for - and arrange - return shipping. You can offer alternatives like a partial refund to get a set-up done but, if the buyer is insistent, you have no option but to accept and pay for the return.

1 hour ago, skankdelvar said:

I don't like to point the finger of blame but it's all @Ricky 4000's fault. As Mr Billy Joel once observed: "I am an innocent man.
Oh yes I am."

That's codswallop, guv'. The original subject of the 'fred was done.

30% of chatters (including the OP), are painfully honest. 30% are feckless liars. 40% did 'ave a bit of a drink.

And:

15 hours ago, MoJo said:

No idea why

See? Done. 👍

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Ricky 4000 said:

That's codswallop, guv'. The original subject of the 'fred was done.

30% of chatters (including the OP), are painfully honest. 30% are feckless liars. 40% did 'ave a bit of a drink.

And:

See? Done. 👍

Eloquently put, my leetul Welsh Richter Van Rickenbacker!

smiley

Edited by Teebs
  • Confused 1