Why become a member? ×

I've done a very stupid thing. Ebay bid dilemma

Guest MoJo

2 hours ago, Teebs said:

Ps. 5 & 6 string basses are generally played by people with ridiculously expensive haircuts & no friends!

So there! :D

*runs to fall-out shelter in fear for life* :D

F*ck, I'll have to sell some friends to buy some dreadlocks and go to California. :biggrin:

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Teebs said:

Ps. 5 & 6 string basses are generally played by people with ridiculously expensive haircuts & no friends!

I object to that. I do not have a ridiculously expensive haircut!

I must admit to being in the "not surprised but a little disappointed" group that so many people are happy to renague on a deal just because everyone else does it. I certainly flag them up as a non paying bidder or a non selling seller when it happens, and have my selling settings set to not allow anyone who has more than (whatever the minimum) strikes against them is.

Edited by Woodinblack
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, Hellzero said:

F*ck, I'll have to sell some friends to buy some dreadlocks and go to California. :biggrin:

Or...now don't get cross Hellzero...but you could just play the bass guitar without harbouring ambitions to be a guitarist *spits* ;)

It's perverted is what it is! :D

• Haha 1

I'd buy it if I bid on it

I'm genuinely saddened by the amount of people saying don't buy it there'll be no consequences , there's been so many threads about timewasters etc

Serious question to the OP why did you bid if you thought your bid was under the reserve and you didn't want at that price anyway

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, spencer.b said:

I'm genuinely saddened by the amount of people saying don't buy it there'll be no consequences , there's been so many threads about timewasters etc

Serious question to the OP why did you bid if you thought your bid was under the reserve and you didn't want at that price anyway

I've occasionally won auctions in this way.. I don't desperately want it, but if I can get it for only that much I'll have one!

Some years ago I ended up with actually too many nice electric guitars by this method,  even for me, so sold most of them! 😃 

Edited by hubrad

Guest MoJo
44 minutes ago, spencer.b said:

A moment of madness. That's all I can put it down to. Maybe subconsciously I wish I my technique was good enough to handle such a beast. I'm quite looking forward to getting my hands on it, if only to marvel at that massive neck 

1 hour ago, Daz39 said:

Ofc - just because it's a No Returns Listing does not mean you can't return it. Sale of Goods Act still applies: just say it's not as described.

I have won several bids on Lego items only for the sale to be cancelled because the item didn't realise enough. Just set a reserve or higher starting bid. Ofc eBay do nothing about that either.

I read between the lines. Deffo buyers remorse.

26 minutes ago, stingrayPete1977 said:

What if it is 'as described'? 

Don’t return it? 

I wasn’t advocating blind returns but meant that No Returns does not mean what the seller thinks it does.

2 hours ago, leftybassman392 said:

This. I don't do much trading these days but I've bought and sold hundreds of items on both BC and eBay over the years. Feeling it's ok to renege on a deal just because other people do it or because the host doesn't enforce the rules sets an unwelcome precedent IMHO. It may be common on eBay; pray it doesn't become common on Basschat. Thin end of the wedge and all that...

Mistakes happen, I think it's a question of how you deal with it - I'm not advocating repeatedly changing your mind, or not showing up at a meeting, or stringing someone along for days, pretending you still want it but never paying etc. But a polite simple and honest  'sorry i made a mistake here' for me (as a seller) would be no problem :)  (but once only!)  

7 minutes ago, tedmanzie said:

Mistakes happen, I think it's a question of how you deal with it - I'm not advocating repeatedly changing your mind, or not showing up at a meeting, or stringing someone along for days, pretending you still want it but never paying etc. But a polite simple and honest  'sorry i made a mistake here' for me (as a seller) would be no problem :)  (but once only!)  

The original post states that the item had been relisted as the seller had already been messed about once?

18 hours ago, Doctor J said:

I bought an “as is” 89 SR1000 over the weekend with (potentially) a borked truss rod and blown preamp... from Japan. I think it was the free shipping which pushed me to do it. That and the bottle of wine. Hey, nobody forced me to drink it, so it’s all on me. If you buy it, pay for it and you and the seller get on with your lives. Very simple.

I’d love to know what percentage of ebay purchases are fuelled by booze 😂

A pal of mine drunk bid on and won a military vehicle which was in London, he lives on the Isle of Wight... Ended up having to get the ferry over and try to drive it back, broke down 3 times before Southampton. Still he now owns a weird little armoured military vehicle for some reason so there's always that...

• Haha 4

28 minutes ago, tedmanzie said:

Mistakes happen

Not if you're paying attention they don't.

Sellers are entitled to assume people making offers for their stuff actually want to buy it. Buyers are entitled to assume stuff appearing for sale is actually for sale. Both are entitled to assume whoever's at the other end has thought the matter through by the time it comes to do the transaction, and that if they were going to change their mind they'd have done so already.

Inebriation may explain screw-ups but it doesn't excuse them.

While I'm here, why on earth anybody in their right mind would go on a site like eBay when they're drunk is not something I understand. Once, maybe. After that you should have learned the lesson.

Edited by leftybassman392

2 hours ago, stingrayPete1977 said:

What if it is 'as described'? 

Makes absolutely no difference. I sold a headless retrovibe bass to a guy on fleabay who was absolutely delighted that he'd won it.

Sent it off, he received it, next thing he's opened an eBay dispute case saying it had sharp edges on the frets - so wasn't as described, and he'd cut his hand playing it. He wanted a refund. I argued for a bit, but after taking advice I just had to suck it up - plus I had to pay for the return shipping. I assumed in my innocence that it's got damaged in transit.

As you may have guessed, there was absolutely nothing wrong with the bass when I got it back - the frets were dressed perfectly with not a sharp edge in sight. It was in perfect condition. The guy had just changed his mind when he got his hands on it.

Moral = eBay will ALWAYS side with the buyer in such cases. You just need to have the brass neck required to tell bare-faced lies when you decide you don't want something you've bought after all.

I once sold an effects pedal on eBay and did not mention a PSU, nor did Pics include one.

Buyer sent it back saying not sold as described as his assumption would be that it came with a PSU, even if not pictured. Return postage swallowed, case closed. No use arguing, eBay aren't bothered about buyer's remorse, or the fact the bidder ended up paying more than he wanted for it.

• Like 1