Why become a member? ×

I've done a very stupid thing. Ebay bid dilemma

Guest MoJo

Guest MoJo

Going to do the decent thing and honour my bid. There could be a cheap sixer coming up for sale on the forum soon. Watch this space

I don't see it as a question of morality, just a simple question of do you want the bass or not?

It's too easy to impulse buy these days, but I believe you should have the right to change your mind without feeling guilty. No money has changed hands or item been dispatched, you haven't agreed to meet him then not shown up. The seller can relist with a single click and begrudgingly accept that's what happens from time to time when you sell on eBay.

Like many of us, I have on more than one occasion cancelled an order from a shop shortly after ordering, or returned the item after trying it out. That's a lot of inconvenience for a shop, yet seems more socially acceptable here!

55 minutes ago, MoJo said:

Going to do the decent thing and honour my bid. There could be a cheap sixer coming up for sale on the forum soon. Watch this space

Just take 2 strings off and pretend its a proper bass :-)

1 hour ago, dannybuoy said:

I don't see it as a question of morality, just a simple question of do you want the bass or not?

It's too easy to impulse buy these days, but I believe you should have the right to change your mind without feeling guilty. No money has changed hands or item been dispatched, you haven't agreed to meet him then not shown up. The seller can relist with a single click and begrudgingly accept that's what happens from time to time when you sell on eBay.

Like many of us, I have on more than one occasion cancelled an order from a shop shortly after ordering, or returned the item after trying it out. That's a lot of inconvenience for a shop, yet seems more socially acceptable here!

That's not how eBay works, if you don't want it don't click on it, not hard really. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

This one? For £250?!

no way. I took one in trade and sold it for £450.

nice basses, just didn’t get on with Sixers.

ED7CB828-7599-4075-8C28-651A88315D7B.jpeg

BARGAIN! - Nice basses.

56 minutes ago, stingrayPete1977 said:

That's not how eBay works, if you don't want it don't click on it, not hard really. 

Well in the real world, where unpredictable humans are involved and imaginary contracts are not enforced, it is exactly how eBay works. 

I've 'sold' stuff to people who haven't paid up nor even had the decency to message me to let me know they were no longer interested. After a week of no contact I gave up and relisted it. A little annoying but no big deal. If someone messaged me to say they're really sorry but changed their mind I would have no problem at all and just realise that it comes with the territory when selling anything online, or offline for that matter.

Edited by dannybuoy

“I’ve bought this and paid you. I’ve changed my mind...”

’I’ve posted them this afternoon and it’s a no returns listing...’

a genuine exchange over some Bauer FX3 Skates I bought piddled one night thinking I’d re-live my youth...and then sold...to someone who obviously did the same...😂😂😂

• Haha 2

18 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Learn to play 6 string bass and then sell all your four and five string basses! 😉

:o

Wash yo' mouf out Al Krow! :o

A bass guitar has four strings, no more, no less. Anything else is an abomination & an affront to the natural order of things. :D

*re. Your later point - bass players were given 4 fingers and a thumb on each hand. The thumb is for anchoring!

So there! 😛 :D

• Haha 1

Guest MoJo
8 hours ago, BassApprentice said:

Here's an idea - if you don't get on with it if you get it. Put it back on eBay and anything over the price you paid goes to a charity. Nobody loses there. 

What a great idea. Thanks

10 minutes ago, Teebs said:

Ps. 5 & 6 string basses are generally played by people with cheap ridiculously expensive  haircuts & no friends!

Fixed.

(For my facts and circumstances anyway).

PS I DO have an imaginary friend. But he recently issued me with a non-contact Court order.

• Haha 2

19 hours ago, MoJo said:

Recently a bass popped up on eBay that the search algorithms though might interest me. I'm pretty sure, that at the start of the auction, it had a 'Buy It Now' price of £450. Being the nosey beggar I am, I stuck it on my watch list. Yesterday, I got an alert to say that it the auction was ending. I had a look and the item was up to £155 (Reserve not met). I figured that if the seller was looking for £450, the reserve must be at least £350-£375. I stupidly placed a bid of £255, thinking I was safe. A short while later, I received the news that I'd won the auction. Initially I felt a bit sick then felt like a complete donkey, repeating, 'why place a bid'?' in my head. 

I don't need and can't play a six string bass (I struggle with damping a five string successfully) but hate backing out of an agreement, especially as I subsequently found out, the seller had relisted the bass 'due to a time waster'. Really don't know what to do and too ashamed to contact the seller. What would you guys do in this situation?

I've done something similar myself. Yep, you just gotta suck it up and speak to the seller and do a bit of grovelling and humble pie eating. It worked for me. Legally the bid isn't a binding contract anyway

• Like 1

20 hours ago, MoJo said:

What would you guys do in this situation?

Pay the money and buy it, as you are obliged to do under the terms of the sale. And chalk up the experience as a lesson learned in self-control.

If you don't want the bass, sell it on for a small profit. Someone else will buy it.

Don't be that guy who reneges on a deal 😒

• Like 1

10 hours ago, dannybuoy said:

Well in the real world, where unpredictable humans are involved and imaginary contracts are not enforced, it is exactly how eBay works. 

I've 'sold' stuff to people who haven't paid up nor even had the decency to message me to let me know they were no longer interested. After a week of no contact I gave up and relisted it. A little annoying but no big deal. If someone messaged me to say they're really sorry but changed their mind I would have no problem at all and just realise that it comes with the territory when selling anything online, or offline for that matter.

As my feedback on this site (and eBay for that matter) shows I'm still an old fashioned gentleman, if I say I'll buy it or sell it then that's what I do. 

Edited by stingrayPete1977
  • Like 4

7 minutes ago, stingrayPete1977 said:

As my feedback on this site (and eBay for that matter) shows I'm still an old fashioned gentleman, if I say I'll buy it or sell it then that's what I do. 

This. I don't do much trading these days but I've bought and sold hundreds of items on both BC and eBay over the years. Feeling it's ok to renege on a deal just because other people do it or because the host doesn't enforce the rules sets an unwelcome precedent IMHO. It may be common on eBay; pray it doesn't become common on Basschat. Thin end of the wedge and all that...

• Like 3

11 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

“I’ve bought this and paid you. I’ve changed my mind...”

’I’ve posted them this afternoon and it’s a no returns listing...’

a genuine exchange over some Bauer FX3 Skates I bought piddled one night thinking I’d re-live my youth...and then sold...to someone who obviously did the same...😂😂😂

Ofc - just because it's a No Returns Listing does not mean you can't return it. Sale of Goods Act still applies: just say it's not as described.

I have won several bids on Lego items only for the sale to be cancelled because the item didn't realise enough. Just set a reserve or higher starting bid. Ofc eBay do nothing about that either.