Why become a member? ×

I've done a very stupid thing. Ebay bid dilemma

Guest MoJo

The dog did it, the kid did it, i was ill and not in control, since bidding i've been involved in a bizarre yachting accident,  i had a brain transplant the day before, the list goes on

After 14 years on there, i've heard them all

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Pfft. Tell the seller sorry you don't want it, all he has to do is click a button and relist it for free.

If the auction win made you feel a bit sick, that's your gut telling you not to buy it, I'd listen to it. You'll only feel like a plonker if you buy it and you don't really want it.

TBF I'm a bit dissapointed that several BC members seem to be seriously advocating pulling out of a contract you've committed yourself to. If it was another BC member you'd stiffed (might yet be for all anybody knows) I'll bet it would be a different story.

'Man up, pay up and deal with it' would be my advice.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

Buy it.

Lots of reasons, primarily - you wanted it enough to bid on it. You got a bargain, it's gorgeous, you might surprise yourself & really take to a 6, and if not you will easily be able to get your money back, might even make a small profit.

Just pay the dude & post the NBD thread already! :D

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Monkey Steve said:

as an aside, I do quite often toy with the idea of getting a dirt cheap instrument on eBay, just to try something new, the idea being that I can always upgrade to a better one if I take to it but avoid having chucked a load of cash at something I didn't really get on with it

A sixer would probably fall into that category (also an 8 string (2x4) or a fretless)

Think there's a bloke on here selling one..... Or will be soon 😉

• Haha 2

I bought an “as is” 89 SR1000 over the weekend with (potentially) a borked truss rod and blown preamp... from Japan. I think it was the free shipping which pushed me to do it. That and the bottle of wine. Hey, nobody forced me to drink it, so it’s all on me. If you buy it, pay for it and you and the seller get on with your lives. Very simple.

I’d love to know what percentage of ebay purchases are fuelled by booze 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Buy it, try it, if you don't like it someone else will have it for that money.

Although on the flipside I've had sellers cancel transactions when they don't get what they'd hoped for in the bidding - despite having been paid.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, fleabag said:

The dog did it, the kid did it, i was ill and not in control, since bidding i've been involved in a bizarre yachting accident,  i had a brain transplant the day before, the list goes on

After 14 years on there, i've heard them all

One hand-wringing wail-mail I got was 'I bought it on my girlfriend's account and she won't let me pay for it!!'

• Haha 1

Guest MoJo
47 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

This one? For £250?!

no way. I took one in trade and sold it for £450.

nice basses, just didn’t get on with Sixers.

ED7CB828-7599-4075-8C28-651A88315D7B.jpeg

That’s the one 

I don't understand why you put a bid in if you didn't want to buy it. You saw the reserve wasn't met, thought you'd be "safe" with a low bid and ended up winning. What were you trying to achieve? 

Time to man up and pay the bill, if you don't like it then just sell it. 

The other members here advocating people pulling out of paying to get of having to buy the thing is a bit sad to see. Dreamers and fantasy buyers who can't or dont actually come up with the money are a total pain, the seller shouldn't have to have their time wasted. 

Edited by Mastodon2
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Mastodon2 said:

I don't understand why you put a bid in if you didn't want to buy it. You saw the reserve wasn't met, thought you'd be "safe" with a low bid and ended up winning. What were you trying to achieve? 

Time to man up and pay the bill, if you don't like it then just sell it. 

The other members here advocating people pulling out of paying to get of having to buy the thing is a bit sad to see. Dreamers and fantasy buyers who can't or dont actually come up with the money are a total pain, the seller shouldn't have to have their time wasted. 

Totally agree with this