Why become a member? ×

Have I been hacked? What do I do?

I have had a nice email from a .ru email address telling me I've been hacked.

I tend to think of such things more as scams as opposed to anything more sinister but I would be grateful for any advice from those who know about this stuff. I have an external drive I can copy all my data to and I'm not fussed about being in any way embarrassed by any great 'reveals' although I can't think of anything on the pc that would actually do that (a pic or two of me with a perm maybe!!).

Any advice gratefully received.

Update whatever anti-virus or malware applications you have and run a full scan of your PC and external drive, just in case.

As for the mail, does it mention your name or any personal information or is it entirely generic?

• Like 1

Here's the email.

For the record, I only have desktop and there is no mic/video connected (I don't even own such things) so my impression is that it's an attempted scam.

Whats up!

I'm actually a dude who currently possesses the access to your own system.

I also have entire admission to your user account.

We've also been keeping an eye on you for a few months now.

If you are not familiar with this, I am about to make it clear.

Computer virus provides me with complete access and {the total control of your notebook computer or perhaps any other device.

Which means I'm able to see all sorts of things on the computer, turn on the cam & audio recording, without you knowing about this.

Almost forgot, I do have your entire contact list plus your whole messages.

And, how come your ant-virus could not identify spyware?

To be honest, response is reasonably simple: My trojans uses the drivers, I renew the validations pretty much every four hrs to make sure that your anti virus continues to be silent.

I produced a video showing how you take care of your self in  one part of the screen, and the video you observed on the other side.

With only single mouse click, I could mail the following footage to any or all your emails and social networking buddies.

As well as i'll put up access to your own electronic mail letters.

If you desire to protect yourself from that, forward me the total of $500 to my bitcoin wallet address (in the event that you have no clue the right way to accomplish this, just simply search: "Buy Bitcoin").

My personal bitcoin address (BTC Wallet) is:  3EmY35qvGqyTBwoA4V7riyBtniJG9WMFWp

Soon after acquiring my payment, I most certainly will get rid of it and you won't ever hear from me back again.

Now i am allowing you 55 hrs . (even more than A couple of days) o cover everything.

I got a reminder placed on this note, and so it works when you are going to find it.

Filing a complaint anywhere will not seem sensible considering that this letter simply cannot be tracked just like my btc address.

I do not make mistakes.

But in case if i'll identify that you've talked about the current communication with another individual, the vid ?s going to be instantly shared.

Best regards!

Ignore and add 'bitcoin' to your spam filter :)

As a general rule, you should change your passwords on sites you use so they each have a unique code. You can use a password manager to help with that.

• Like 5

That is a well known scam email.  It is based on the some well known sites being hacked, your passwords acquired and then the hope that you still use the same password now to fool you into thinking they have hacked your system (PS change your passwords).  Keep your AV engine up to date (free ones are available) and I recommend the installation of at least a basic software firewall (WIndows comes with one now, Linux always has).

• Like 2

NEVER open an email from people you don't know, or are expecting an email from. It is possible just by clicking to open an email that you have unknowingly downloaded 'spyware' onto your computer. 

You will know if any damage has been done if your computer stops working. If nothing changes, then it is a scam, and you are lucky. Chalk it up as a lesson, and don't open unsolicited emails!!!!!!

Some dodgy people send out "phishing" emails, if people click to open them, they will get confirmation an email has been opened, and will sell your email address to other dodgy people, knowing you open unsolicited emails. So you may receive a lot of scam emails for the foreseeable future.

It's good you back up to an external device. That's what I do. If your computer does ever get a virus or whatever, it's not a big deal, you simply need to replace the hard drive on your computer, then restore your backup from your external harddrive.

• Like 1

Thanks all.

I didn't know merely opening an email would do it. I have always known about attachments and never open them. I will take that on board.

I should add I don't think I open them as such, the first line or two are visible. I opened this for the first time to copy the text (oops!!).

I have F-Secure running on my pc and it scans regularly and works in real time so I am pretty confident I am as protected as I can be.

Edited by Steve Browning

2 minutes ago, ped said:

No.

But obviously don't click any links or download any attachments. 

I knew that - I was being somewhat mischievous :-)

(Edit: it looks like my chin-rubbing smiley isn't showing correctly)

Edited by wateroftyne
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, wateroftyne said:

I knew that - I was being somewhat mischievous 🙂

(Edit: it looks like my chin-rubbing smiley isn't showing correctly)

Yeah I got that - and smiley is looking fine my end!

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, wateroftyne said:

Is it...? 🤔

Not really, unless someone manages to insert a script that exploits a vulnerability in your browser or email client. EXTREMELY unlikely unless you're still using a ten year old version of Outlook or something like that.

Attachments and links are the main danger.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, hooky_lowdown said:

NEVER open an email from people you don't know

This. Hover the cursor over the email (DON'T click) and the sender's address will display. If you don't recognise it - the sender's name will often be different from the one that appears in your email list - delete it immediately.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ped said:

This thread just goes to show how much misinformation and misconception there is out there that the scammers are able to exploit. 

Don't get me started on "Microsoft Support phone calls.....".  My F-I-L was only saved by the fact I had installed Mint on his PC, so they couldn't get access to his PC to hack him.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, DorsetBlue said:

Don't get me started on "Microsoft Support phone calls.....".  My F-I-L was only saved by the fact I had installed Mint on his PC, so they couldn't get access to his PC to hack him.

I had one of those - I stung them along for about 30 minutes, pretending I was completely computer illiterate (she spent a few minutes telling me which the space bar was) and when she finally said 'And what does it say on your executable window?' I said 'oh, that's strange - it says 'f&*k off'

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Just to agree with the above - it's BS.

I got one - they have film of me on dodgy sites they said, filmed me on my webcam they said.

They didn't say how that managed to film me through the thick stripe of insulation tape over my laptop's webcam that's been there since I bought it but hey, those hackers eh ?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ped said:

This thread just goes to show how much misinformation and misconception there is out there that the scammers are able to exploit. 

It is entirely possible to download spyware, malware and any other forms of virus' just by clicking on an email. If you don't know this, you should do some research my friend.

Obviously there are many levels of scammers/hackers, some are chancers, which I think the OP may have received. However, tech is so sophisticated, it's also possible to trigger or run clandestine software simply by moving your cursor over an email (you don't need to click on it to trigger).

I used to work in the web design industry for more than 20 years, and I've worked with many extremely talented web developers to know just how amazingly sophisticated tech can be.

As I've already said... NEVER open unsolicited emails.

Edited by hooky_lowdown
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, ahpook said:

They didn't say how that managed to film me through the thick stripe of insulation tape over my laptop's webcam 

We will never reveal how we managed to film you through the thick stripe of insulation tape over your laptop's webcam. 😈

BTW the script thing seems to be a thing of the past due to better protection these days, but it might come back, so I routinely switch off any preview window.

Password managers concern me though. My daughter swears by one and it's Russian. Who is to say it's not the Russian mafia acting as the good guys for some time before getting nasty? 
I don't know the answer to this, but don't take the (imagined) risk.

As a result I have all my passwords (different for each site) in an encrypted file on a memory stick. There must be vulnerabilities in my approach too, but I feel I'm doing what I can.

Edited by BassTractor
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1