Why become a member? ×

*SOLD* Custom fretless ACG
£1400
London

Clarky

Continuing with my long-scale bass clear out  ... this beautiful piece of luthiery was originally made - around 9 or 10 years ago I think -  by the super talented Alan Cringean (of ACG Guitars) for Kev Hopper (aka Spoombung, bassist with the wonderful Prescott and formerly with Stump).

It has carved walnut facings (the only one of its kind), an ACG filter preamp, piezo bridge pickup option, and detuners on the E and G strings. Currently wearing LaBella black nylon strings so it can do an upright/Rob Allen fretless sound as well as more modern fretless sounds, courtesy of the very sophisticated Wal-like preamp. It weighs 9.5 pounds and played by someone with talent (not me) it sounds fabulous - Johannes Leitner of BC owned this once and here is what he could do with this fabulous bass: 

I am after £1400 (to include new semi-rigid Gator case) collected from SW London (south of Hammersmith) or post at cost on top.

I have a short scale ACG Recurve which is a wonderful instrument. Alan really is a genius when it comes to basses and this is a total one-off.

Specs here:

American Black Walnut body with a Native Walnut top.
Deep set neck made from Wenge/Bubinga/Flame Maple. Acrylic Impregnated lined Ebony board.
Hipshot Type A with piezo and FB neck pickup and SB bridge pickup, ACG EQ01 pre-amp.
Hipshot extenders on the E and G string.

*Sale only, no trades thanks*

20190702_162815.jpg

20190702_162828.jpg

20190702_162819.jpg

20190702_162900.jpg

20190702_162847.jpg

20190702_162842.jpg

Edited by Clarky
  • Like 6

You are right. Kev Hopper took inspiration from the Affirma when he custom spec'd it (he also owned an Affirma at one point, I know as I bought it!) I believe it took so much work (detailed carving etc) to make this bass that Alan said he wouldn't undertake this again, hence this bass truly is a complete one-off!!!!

1 hour ago, alyctes said:

That's lovely :)

The Affirma is fretless IIRC?  I couldn't justify buying it, sadly. 

The Affirma range came in 4, 5 strings, fretted and (rarely) fretless. Beautiful things

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Clarky said:

The Affirma range came in 4, 5 strings, fretted and (rarely) fretless. Beautiful things

I was thinking of the one you bought.  Should have said "That Affirma", sorry.

• Like 1

• ped locked this topic
  • gary mac unlocked this topic
  • 2 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, leos said:

For the uneducated could you please explain the electronics and controls in a bit more detail on this beautiful bass?

Hi there, the bass has an ACG EQ01 filter pre-amp from http://www.acguitars.co.uk/

This features two low-pass filters, one per pickup and a global high-pass filter, giving you the ability to EQ each pickup independently.  Its similar in concept to the filter based pickup system from Wal. The internal controls (which I admit I have never touched) include gain adjustment for each pickup, treble path selection, and a trim pot that allows you to choose which pickup supplies the feed for the high pass filter. 

The small switch on the face of the bass allows you to select the piezo pickup in the bridge or the two magnetic pickups and the small light indicates that the battery status is good when you first plug in.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...