Why become a member? ×

How fit do you need to be in your band?

TimR

For me it’s not how fit I need to be for my band, but for life really. Your health is the most important thing you have. You can be rich, have a huge house and a garage full of cars, but it means nothing unless you’re healthy enough to enjoy it. If you’re overweight, unfit, drink too much, smoke, then do something about it.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, chris_b said:

When you are hot, drink water. . .  lots of it.

If the guys in the band were flagging after 10 mins they should be seriously worried about their general health.

Sip it though, drinking too much in one go is what makes you need to pee.

Edited by ambient
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, cetera said:

I spent 26+ years in a KISS tribute, wearing many kilos of body armour, 7" stack heeled boots, a mahogany and maple bass, wig, make-up..... I breathed fire and had flames and pyrotechnics going on behind me. All my movements had to be BIG and exaggerated to fit the part I was performing....

Our shows were regularly 2 hours and I used to get VERY hot under such conditions - as you can imagine. I drank copious amounts of water to stay hydrated but I wasn't (still am not) particularly fit - however I have a 6ft 3" solid build and my body is reasonably strong. I was SERIOUSLY knackered after ever show though.....  lol!

Yeah, I used to roadie for them..... 😂 

• Thanks 1

Guest MoJo
10 hours ago, ambient said:

For me it’s not how fit I need to be for my band, but for life really. Your health is the most important thing you have. You can be rich, have a huge house and a garage full of cars, but it means nothing unless you’re healthy enough to enjoy it. If you’re overweight, unfit, drink too much, smoke, then do something about it.

Easier said than done when one has a pie addiction

I'm 53, move around a damn sight more than the singer, and do nothing to maintain fitness other than playing football with the bairn of an evening and playing a bit to keep finger and forearm strength up.

Having said that, I've adjusted my working conditions rather than myself - Markbass gear is a *lot* easier to move around than Trace Elliot (especially if you go for the super-lazy option of sticking wheels on one of the cabinets ... getting my entire rig in now is a one-person, one-trip job instead of two people twice. Stairs allowing.

I'll generally get through at least two pints of iced water in an 1.25 hour set. Beer is right out nowadays, though sipping from a pint of Coke helps with energy levels.

Our drummer plays with a fleece jacket on and sweats like a racehorse - says it's an integral part of his weight-control regime - then invariably heads straight to the kebab shop after a gig. :) 

18 minutes ago, HengistPod said:

Our drummer plays with a fleece jacket on and sweats like a racehorse - says it's an integral part of his weight-control regime - then invariably heads straight to the kebab shop after a gig

Right, no more 5:2 diet for me then!

• Haha 1

Guest MoJo
20 minutes ago, HengistPod said:

Our drummer plays with a fleece jacket on and sweats like a racehorse - says it's an integral part of his weight-control regime - then invariably heads straight to the kebab shop after a gig. :) 

🤣🤣🤣

Usually ain't enough room to swing a cat, let alone 4 of us move around in the venues we play.  However, loading in and out of some of these venues can be tiresome due to no parking, flights of steps etc.  4 gym workouts a week, two mountain bike sessions and as much surfing as I can fit in keeps me something like it at 49.  Just as well, as nobody else in the band does anything sportwise!