Why become a member? ×

NBD: JMJ Roadworn Mustang

Mister RLP

1 minute ago, krispn said:

@CameronJ

I think this was always gonna be a ‘limited production run’ model. In interviews JMJ has said that there isn’t a high margin on these models so maybe fender are shifting to the new range as the non relic alternative. 

What he said ^^

Ah, makes sense. Thanks for clearing that up!

• Like 1

I think this was always gonna be a ‘limited production run’ model. In interviews JMJ has said that there isn’t a high margin on these models so maybe fender are shifting to the new range as the non relic alternative. 

What he said ^^

I'm surprised that the JMJ is discontinued already - it is still listed on Fender.com.

I wonder how many were made in total 🤔

There are some still listed on other sellers's pages. Maybe it's Andertons that have discontinued them. The Flea bass is still available. Would love to see a Klaus Voorman p bass if Fender were to bring out another artist signature bass:

image.thumb.png.5137e29bb503a8f3cb0a6e3e67929a6f.png

Or maybe a Guy Pratt jazz bass:

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_1c75.thumb.jpg.3289270cb7e5191a72db178ee401c0f1.jpg

• Like 1

Love my JMJ mustang, can't stop playing the thing. The setup was terrible though, intonation absolutely miles out and the nut needed work. But now it's sorted, i'm loving it.

Not heard about them being discontinued, they're still showing in stock for all the major stores online?

• 2 weeks later...

I know this is probably heresy but.....has anyone changed the flats to rounds on their JMJ? Now I think the flats it comes with sound awesome, it’s the nicest stock sound of any of my basses but the tension is just too high for comfort for me. Can anyone recommend a lower tension set that would work or god forbid a set of more compliant rounds?

Labella mustang flats are different gauges and might well be a more natural feel and fit. I’ve put roundwounds on mine and it sounds equally as pleasing. The tone knob does a great job in taking off that top end and if you’re wanting to keep some of the high end but not be too clanky it works as expected...which can’t be said for all tone controls!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I should add I'm not entirely confident which rounds are on the JMJ I think it was the set the guy had on them when I bought it (used) and they were rounds. I did use the Fender flats (which I believe came as standard) which I like but I also really enjoy GHS Precision flats as well but Iuse them on another P bass. I will likely succumb and get the Mustang specific LaBella's as it would be remiss not to at some point!

On 06/08/2019 at 19:33, martthebass said:

I know this is probably heresy but.....has anyone changed the flats to rounds on their JMJ? Now I think the flats it comes with sound awesome, it’s the nicest stock sound of any of my basses but the tension is just too high for comfort for me. Can anyone recommend a lower tension set that would work or god forbid a set of more compliant rounds?

I bought a JMJ last week. I'm really enjoying it...... apart from the flats. I'm sticking a set of medium scale D'Addario Pro Steels (45-100) on it next week. I'll let you know how I get on. 

• Thanks 1

On 06/08/2019 at 19:33, martthebass said:

Justin Meldal-Johnsen is a regular poster on Talkbass and he is running rounds on his signature bass, though he’s still got flats on his original Mustang. He has also confirmed it’s coming out in black. 

Edited by OllyW

On 11/08/2019 at 10:21, Low End Bee said:

I bought a JMJ last week. I'm really enjoying it...... apart from the flats. I'm sticking a set of medium scale D'Addario Pro Steels (45-100) on it next week. I'll let you know how I get on. 

After a proper set up I agreed to keep with the flats for a month or so as they seem to suit it.

it’s playing really well now and I’m trying to adjust my playing by using a thinner plectrum with a lighter touch. I normally bash away at a Precision with a 1.07 big triangular job. I suspect I will end up with roundwounds though.