Why become a member? ×

NBD: JMJ Roadworn Mustang

Mister RLP

Evening

Well, I finally pulled the trigger on one of these. Rather like it! Just a quick question if you've got one of these, too: are the marks on the side of the fingerboard part of the roadworness or are a later addition? e grateful for your thoughts. 

It didn't come with a case. Should it have done?

IMG_7377.JPG

IMG_7378.JPG

IMG_7381.JPG

IMG_7380.JPG

IMG_7379.JPG

Edited by Mister RLP
  • Like 3

Lovely! I’ve loosely GASed for one of these for a while now. I’d imagine the dings on the neck/headstock are part of the roadworn treatment...and if not, who cares? :crazy:

Good point re roadworn.

Andertons in Guildford. They are brilliant. Used them since the 80s. Great customer service - always happy to help. 

Edited by Mister RLP

Cool bass. It should arrive in a gig bag.

Re: the fretboard/neck marks. My Roadworn Flea bass is in storage, but I don't think (cannot confirm!) it had any major markings like that near the frets....the back of the neck was roadworn.

Your best bet is to check with another owner - maybe try Talkbass. 

Any little dings to the headstock are intentional.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Mister RLP said:

Thanks for the feedback. The E and A strings are also damaged (sharp) near where the ding is. Attached better pic. It's superficial (doesn't stop me playing it) but bothering me. Silly, eh, on a roadworn bass!

IMG_7387.JPG

Not silly at all mate, I’ve had a couple of roadworns and there’s a reason they don’t generally ding up the neck! I found myself laying mine down gently on a table at a jam night last week - had to give myself a stern talking to.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I received my new bass from Andertons after a six month wait. It too arrived with some dings and it wasn't a road worn. I raised it with a customer service manager, argued my case and received a 10% refund and triple loyalty points. I didn't send mine back as it was a special order from the States and didn't want another lengthy wait but I would if it was the JMJ as those appear to be readily available.

Edited by sPiKi
  • Thanks 1

I've owned a Road Worn Precision from new and apart from the aged lacquer, there was no knocks or dings in the neck (plenty on it now though!) 

Anyway, is the lacquer cracked or is it a sort of V-shaped ding? If you're keeping it, I've had varying success drawing those knocks out with a wet rag and an iron and steaming the knock out. There's a bunch of instructional videos on YouTube but YMMV of course! Either that or learn to live with it, the roadworn series seems pick up knocks and dings like no other. Kinda let's you add your own stamp to it in a way! 

Edited by Jonse
  • Thanks 1

To be honest, that is poor show that they've not send it in ANY kind of case....at all.

I know it is Roadworn but it still needs to be a softcase for posting. 

I've had a few issues with Andertons....they are usually decent but when they have messed up, it isn't that great at all.

I would send them photos. That shouldn't be there. Might be courier damage. It looks as though the strings also took a hit...at that price I'd want another fresh from Fender.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Musicman20 said:

To be honest, that is poor show that they've not send it in ANY kind of case....at all.

I know it is Roadworn but it still needs to be a softcase for posting. 

I've had a few issues with Andertons....they are usually decent but when they have messed up, it isn't that great at all.

I would send them photos. That shouldn't be there. Might be courier damage. It looks as though the strings also took a hit...at that price I'd want another fresh from Fender.

TBH - I could understand the damage not being picked up even if this was an open box despatch as the uninitiated wouldn't necessarily know what was intended and what wasn't.  Absolutely no excuse for the gig bag though.  This is premium range for MIM and the Fender site specifically states that it comes with a decent gig bag.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the feedback. All sorted now. Well, almost - issues with DPD not being able to leave a parcel (bass on Monday and gig bag today) with a neighbour (even though I've requested this on their app and by phone...but that's another story). I sent the photo of the damage and Andertons, to their credit, said it was damage and not intentional relicing. They also said the JMJ Roadworn bass is now a discontinued product so there is no option in ordering another one. (Have been out that long? Are the new range of Vintera Mustangs replacing this?) They have discounted the bass by £40 and sent the gig bag. Which I am happy with. 

• Like 1

They’re being discontinued already?! That’s mad. I actually played one today in @thebassgallery and very much enjoyed it. I can confirm that there was absolutely zero “relicing” on the neck whatsoever, until the headstock began. Played really nicely and sounded great through an Eich head and 112 cab - proper P thump.

12 hours ago, Mister RLP said:

Thanks for all the feedback. All sorted now. Well, almost - issues with DPD not being able to leave a parcel (bass on Monday and gig bag today) with a neighbour (even though I've requested this on their app and by phone...but that's another story). I sent the photo of the damage and Andertons, to their credit, said it was damage and not intentional relicing. They also said the JMJ Roadworn bass is now a discontinued product so there is no option in ordering another one. (Have been out that long? Are the new range of Vintera Mustangs replacing this?) They have discounted the bass by £40 and sent the gig bag. Which I am happy with. 

The vintera bass does look very similar, but I prefer the rosewood board on the JMJ.

It pretty much answers the request for a non-relic version of the JMJ though.

@CameronJ

I think this was always gonna be a ‘limited production run’ model. In interviews JMJ has said that there isn’t a high margin on these models so maybe fender are shifting to the new range as the non relic alternative. 

What he said ^^