Why become a member? ×

The Star, Guildford. Noise abatement case.

In recent months, The Star in Guildford, a venue I've both frequented and played at several times, was subject to a noise abatement case bought about by the occupants of an apartment block adjacent to the venue.  The apartments had been converted from an older office block, the new tenants had taken residence, failed to do their due diligence and get this, din't like the noise emitted from the venue, so a legal case was brought against the venue by Guildford Borough Council.

Happily the matter has been quashed; it appears moreover that the GBC case was fundamentally flawed and the judge threw the matter out.  It's a moral victory and a victory for sensibility.

It's a wonderful venue and so geared up for live music; killer PA system.

https://www.getsurrey.co.uk/news/surrey-news/live-guildford-star-pub-court-16511558

717783-3600x2700.jpg

• Like 13

I’m sure I ve read somewhere about a recent addition to ‘bylaws’ for anybody moving into buildings near music or live venues that they can’t actually complain.....the Bulls Head in Barnes, West London went through this a decade or so ago. A block of flats was built right outside the load in door to this very long established music venue. A resident then complained, the pub built in £20000 grand of new staging, doors and sound proofing and that resident then moved out! 

Edited by mybass

The worry is, how did it go from a bunch of residents complaining to Guildford Borough Council starting legal action on behalf of them? Especially if there was recent legislation and no prospect of success. Sounds like a massive waste of public funds etc.

• Like 1

I wouldn't buy near a live music venue unless I had no choice, I want my kids to sleep! Same as not buying a flat above a takeaway because of the smell, noise, etc. Isn't it just common sense? Or are there just loads of misguided social justice warriors who love fighting for their cause no matter what?? No wonder there's fewer venues left (other big factors also recognised here!)

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, uk_lefty said:

I wouldn't buy near a live music venue unless I had no choice, I want my kids to sleep! Same as not buying a flat above a takeaway because of the smell, noise, etc. Isn't it just common sense? Or are there just loads of misguided social justice warriors who love fighting for their cause no matter what?? 

No, its cost. A place near a venue is going to be cheaper as it is near a venue. People buy the cheap house and then complain about the thing that made it cheap, get the thing closed down, nice house cheap!

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, uk_lefty said:

I wouldn't buy near a live music venue unless I had no choice, I want my kids to sleep! Same as not buying a flat above a takeaway because of the smell, noise, etc. Isn't it just common sense? Or are there just loads of misguided social justice warriors who love fighting for their cause no matter what?? No wonder there's fewer venues left (other big factors also recognised here!)

It staggers me to this day when stories like this hit the media.  Irrespective of the tag you want to apply to these people (SJW/Snowflake/Strawberry/Me-Generation etc. etc.) SURELY if you move to an area you do your diligence don't you?  Man alive, go out in the evening and investigate the area.  Guildford is a reasonably nice area, The Star is literally at the bottom of the High Street, about 50m from a church.  Did anyone complain about the bells ruining anyone's lie-in on Sunday morning?  Nope, because music venues are easy game.

• Like 4

These people move to an area because of the culture & atmosphere - live music venues are a big part of this.

Then they complain because of the noise from a live music venue.

They should be strung up by their, erm, fingernails.

Night & Day in Manchester had a similar problem with some moaning git, & the council got involved. It looked like they were going to have to close, but it seems something was worked out & there's still live music on.

Drives me mad! >:(

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, NancyJohnson said:

Guildford is a reasonably nice area

See now how can you take anyone seriously who says that??

44 minutes ago, NancyJohnson said:

, The Star is literally at the bottom of the High Street, about 50m from a church.  Did anyone complain about the bells ruining anyone's lie-in on Sunday morning?  Nope, because music venues are easy game.

In a village I lived in, yes, someone bought a house and then complained about the bells (although not sunday, wednesday bell ringing). Didn't get far, I think the answer was 'did you not notice that large church?'

• Haha 2

another punter and performer at the Star over the years, and pleased this has turned out with the right decision

Always reminds me of an article in a Chelsea programme from then chairman Ken Bates, joyously pointing and laughing at the local residents who had objected to the latest rebuilding of Stamford Bridge because they said that the increased capacity would cause excessive noise and congestion on match days.  He repeated the planning committee's comments that if you buy a house that is next door to a very well known football ground you have to expect noise and crowds on matchday

Picking up on another comment, me and the ex once bought a house  that was over the road from a church - didn't really think about any issues that this may cause.  

No noise issues, but on Sunday morning we often couldn't get our car out of the driveway because Christians park like c#nts

• Haha 2

we have had so many inner city live music pubs shut down coz they built hi rise apartments next to them and they complain. Our city council is run by imbeciles that think if you move into the city, everything around you must stop making noise.

Even open air festivals have mostly by passed us coz they are hit with excessive noise fines and must end by 10pm. Pure malarky.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Monkey Steve said:

Picking up on another comment, me and the ex once bought a house  that was over the road from a church - didn't really think about any issues that this may cause.  

No noise issues, but on Sunday morning we often couldn't get our car out of the driveway because Christians park like c#nts

In the same village, it had a quaint little country school, so if you didn't leave for work before school time you couldn't move for 4x4s parked across the roads and driveways, the village was also only room for 1 car width in the main road, so that was often blocked, and you certainly didn't want to walk, that would have been lethal. Nothing more dangerous than a pack of middle class mums in land rovers who aren't paying any attention to anything.

• Like 1

As someone who grew up on the Heathrow flight path, I get frustrated by people complaining about noise from the airport.  Given that the airport was opened just after WWII, there can't be many people affected by it that bought their hose before it was opened. 

In fact my dad still lives in the house i grew up in, it was bought new by my grandparents in the 30s, so I guess he could complian but he doesn't.

It's not just band noise in urban areas that incomers abhor. After more than a decade in tiny rural villages I have seen newbies register official complaints about:

* Sheep baa-ing loudly in a nearby field
* Cow poop on the road
* Absence of streetlights (response from Parish Council chairman: 'Buy a torch. They sell them in shops') 

Edited by skankdelvar

13 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

No, its cost. A place near a venue is going to be cheaper as it is near a venue. People buy the cheap house and then complain about the thing that made it cheap, get the thing closed down, nice house cheap!

This is also a tactic that has been used for years by people (and developers) buying houses near motor racing circuits and then bringing actions about the noise. Croft, Donington, Mallory Park, Oulton Park - all had similar complaints and forced to introduce noise restrictions, cut down on race days, testing, etc.

Again, did you not notice the signs when you bought your house near to the racing circuit?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, skankdelvar said:

It's not just band noise in urban areas that incomers abhor. After more than a decade in tiny rural villages I have seen newbies register official complaints about:

* Sheep baa-ing loudly in a nearby field
* Cow poop on the road
* Absence of streetlights (response from Parish Council chairman: 'Buy a torch. They sell them in shops') 

As it is the legal duty of farmers to clear the road of animal excrement then I think it’s perfectly reasonable that someone is asked to perform what they are legally obliged to do. Having lived my formative motorbike riding years in a village the lack of care of some farmers was disgraceful. My GSXR1100 was bought from the payout after my shoulder, collar bone and two ribs were broken after I hit a patch of sh1te on a dark night. 

The morons that complained about the clay pigeon site next to their nice new house were a different matter........

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Nicko said:

As someone who grew up on the Heathrow flight path, I get frustrated by people complaining about noise from the airport.  Given that the airport was opened just after WWII, there can't be many people affected by it that bought their hose before it was opened. 

In fact my dad still lives in the house i grew up in, it was bought new by my grandparents in the 30s, so I guess he could complian but he doesn't.

My mate overheard a tourist asking why they built Windsor Castle under the flightpath to Heathrow.....

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, stingrayPete1977 said:

We've got a shooting ground a mile away, I find the noise really soothing, nothing better than sitting in the garden reading a magazine with a coffee and listening to the irregular pops and bangs. 

I've even heard people say clay pigeon shooting is cruel..... 

Shhhh, you’ll alert the vegans!

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, WHUFC BASS said:

Genuinely lol'd at that ...

I was on holiday some 30 years ago with a Swedish lady and told her how well Sweden had done at the small bore shooting competition at the Olymics. Her response was “those poor little piggies”. I still smile at this. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2