Why become a member? ×

Who is wireless?

la bam

18 hours ago, dave_bass5 said:

I was using my Boss WL-20L last night at rehearsals, every time my guitarist came closer (although not close) I noticed the signal was cutting out. He uses an Xvive2 but we weren’t on the same channel. A bit worrying but might be a one off. 

When you say not on the same channel, what do you mean by that? An arbitary number on each device, or exact frequencies?

11 minutes ago, EBS_freak said:

When you say not on the same channel, what do you mean by that? An arbitary number on each device, or exact frequencies?

I just mean we weren't coming out of each others rigs, what was going on behind the scene is a mystery as neither systems display that info. its been working fine for both of us, even at a gig on a very small stage, but on Tuesday something must have changed.

Edited by dave_bass5

I bought a Samson AP1B through this site 4 years ago, and I've generally gotten on well with it. The only issue I had was entirely my own fault - I hadn't been keeping track of which of my AAA batteries were freshly charged and which weren't, so I got within about 3 songs of the end of the gig and it conked out. Grabbed my spare lead and finished the gig with that.

S.P.

9 minutes ago, Stylon Pilson said:

I bought a Samson AP1B through this site 4 years ago, and I've generally gotten on well with it. The only issue I had was entirely my own fault - I hadn't been keeping track of which of my AAA batteries were freshly charged and which weren't, so I got within about 3 songs of the end of the gig and it conked out. Grabbed my spare lead and finished the gig with that.

S.P.

Eneloops AAA. Get into the habit of charging them after each gig and they'll be fresh and ready for the next.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, EBS_freak said:

And this is when running multiple, different types of wireless starts becoming a headache...

Well in all fairness ive been running wireless for over 15 years, as have most of the guitarists ive played with, and we have never had any real issues. I think the issue is more these cheap bug systems that are as robust as even the Line6 stuff, and with no way to adjust them.

1 minute ago, dave_bass5 said:

Well in all fairness ive been running wireless for over 15 years, as have most of the guitarists ive played with, and we have never had any real issues. I think the issue is more these cheap bug systems that are as robust as even the Line6 stuff, and with no way to adjust them.

It's the autosensing feature that generally works out ok (e.g. find free spectrum)... however, as soon as you mix brands that have different preset frequencies, the changes of finding intermodulation free frequencies decreases because unless the frequencies of the preset are identical between units, there will be intermodulation clashes.

At one of last weekends gigs the main vocal mic kept cutting out. The sound man said he was having trouble with the wi-fi signal which up until we played had been fine. And we were the only band to use wireless kits. And he hadn’t realised we were wireless so he wasn’t taking the easy option. Hmmmmmm......

Edited by Lozz196

14 minutes ago, EBS_freak said:

It's the autosensing feature that generally works out ok (e.g. find free spectrum)... however, as soon as you mix brands that have different preset frequencies, the changes of finding intermodulation free frequencies decreases because unless the frequencies of the preset are identical between units, there will be intermodulation clashes.

Agreed, but im still confused as to why this one time only. I tend to plug mine in last, and always do a rescan before (at rehearsals anyway), once his are on.

19 hours ago, dave_bass5 said:

I was using my Boss WL-20L last night at rehearsals, every time my guitarist came closer (although not close) I noticed the signal was cutting out. He uses an Xvive2 but we weren’t on the same channel. A bit worrying but might be a one off. 

I've had the exact same with our guitarist when I used a Smoothound and my G30. Our guitarist has a G30 also and we are on different channels.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Linus27 said:

I've had the exact same with our guitarist when I used a Smoothound and my G30. Our guitarist has a G30 also and we are on different channels.

Only thing i can think of right now is we were in a different room, and one that is next to the main reception area. Could be the wifi is stronger there. Back to our old room on Tuesday so ill keep an eye on it.

1 minute ago, dave_bass5 said:

Only thing i can think of right now is we were in a different room, and one that is next to the main reception area. Could be the wifi is stronger there. Back to our old room on Tuesday so ill keep an eye on it.

The surrounding area is certainly a big factor...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EBS_freak said:

Eneloops AAA. Get into the habit of charging them after each gig and they'll be fresh and ready for the next.

Yep, I use Eneloops, I have a little pack of 4 in a plastic case, and ostensibly I'd use a different one for each gig and then after every 4th gig charge up the lot of them. What happened on this occasion was I just mixed them up and accidentally put in one that had already been used for at least one gig. Once bitten, twice shy, won't make that mistake again.

S.P.

2 minutes ago, Stylon Pilson said:

Yep, I use Eneloops, I have a little pack of 4 in a plastic case, and ostensibly I'd use a different one for each gig and then after every 4th gig charge up the lot of them. What happened on this occasion was I just mixed them up and accidentally put in one that had already been used for at least one gig. Once bitten, twice shy, won't make that mistake again.

S.P.

All my eneloops have been subjected to the P-Touch tape... so I can track which ones I'm using.

Conflating two things from recent posts on this topic - I have the G50 on my big pedalboard which I was using at rehearsal, but I'd forgotten my spare Eneloops and the ones in the transmitter were nearly flat so I went in direct instead. While rehearsing, though, I noticed the green lights on the receiver come on, so someone else in the rehearsal studios was using a Line 6 on channel 1. Couldn't be arsed to plug the receiver back in to find out what was using it, but I was tempted to plug my transmitter back in and send a bit of signal back the other way.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, stewblack said:

Line 6 G75. Anyone have any idea how to attach the transmitter to a guitar strap?

What about those little packs that attach to the strap? Think i have one here, I’ll see if I can dig it out. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, walshy said:

This one? Levy’s one and attached to strap, Velcro or strap through.  

2F4798C7-0925-442D-B314-C17042C043A1.jpeg

I use the cheap T Bone one from Thomann. Great value if you are getting other stuff and get the free postage, otherwise very expensive!

• Like 1