Why become a member? ×

Who is wireless?

la bam

5 minutes ago, gt4ever said:

Think I’ll be going for the line 6 G10, the ease of use and the clever way it charges up is a winner for me.

don't know whether you saw my earlier post about the flimsy power supply socket, it will probably fail without some sort of support bracket, both me and the guitarist had to do this, apart from that it is an excellent unit with no other issues that I have found even when we were both using them at the same time20190703_164832.thumb.jpg.9d90800a30130dbea1169f420e66036e.jpg

2 hours ago, PaulWarning said:

don't know whether you saw my earlier post about the flimsy power supply socket, it will probably fail without some sort of support bracket, both me and the guitarist had to do this, apart from that it is an excellent unit with no other issues that I have found even when we were both using them at the same time20190703_164832.thumb.jpg.9d90800a30130dbea1169f420e66036e.jpg

Yes thanks I did see that and will no doubt have to do the same thing, it’s a silly thing to have to do but the design and operation apart from that seems perfect

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, gt4ever said:

Yes thanks I did see that and will no doubt have to do the same thing, it’s a silly thing to have to do but the design and operation apart from that seems perfect

I’ve have one and it seems ok to me. Only use it now and again in the house so maybe not getting as much use as yours. My G50 is my go to! 

59 minutes ago, walshy said:

I’ve have one and it seems ok to me. Only use it now and again in the house so maybe not getting as much use as yours. My G50 is my go to! 

yes it would be fine just for home use, but the rough and tumble of doing gigs with it exposes the design flaw, shame because apart from that it's excellent

5 hours ago, PaulWarning said:

0AF9D42F-BF8B-4B56-8C05-14B5C53F284A.jpeg

Bit of tape over the top if you concerned about it falling out.

Edited by EBS_freak

5 minutes ago, EBS_freak said:

0AF9D42F-BF8B-4B56-8C05-14B5C53F284A.jpeg

Bit of tape over the top if you concerned about it falling out.

it's not just falling out, the socket is just soldiered onto the circuit board with no other support, so eventually a poor connection results

I'm new to wireless but went for the Smooth Hound.

Only negative for me is the transmitter. I use a small strap pack and just keep it in there rather than plug direct into bass mainly because its easier if changing bass rather than suction pads that come with it. Also means i can unplug it easily if taking a break during gig or rehearsal.

Dave

9 hours ago, PaulWarning said:

Just re-enforces my belief that personal computer grade connectors have no place on stage at a gig.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BigRedX said:

Just re-enforces my belief that personal computer grade connectors have no place on stage at a gig.

exactly, anyone whose has charged up a smartphone with this sort of connector knows how flimsy they are, that's the design flaw, which is a real shame and idiotic,  because the rest of it is really well thought out

Edited by PaulWarning

Line 6 G50 and a Smoothhound for me. G50 got damaged when it fell on the floor and the battery door came off. Got a replacement door but couldn't get it to fit right, which was why I got the Smoothhound. Then I splashed out on a replacement transmitter (and another battery door in case I can make a better job of it). No problem with either system, though I did find that the G50 was liable to drop out when I was more than 5m or so away when I had it on the power saving setting.

I use Smoothound, I have 2 transmitters and use it with a variety of basses. Aria SB1000, very high output active, WAL Pro active, Cort B4 active and Gibson Thunderbird passive. Never had a moment of concern. Very low latency, almost completely transparent, utterly reliable. Can't reccommend it enough.

Neil

• Like 1

On ‎02‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 23:51, la bam said:

Thanks for the replies.

Interesting that line 6 seem to be the most popular. But what made people choose a g30, say over a different model (and vice versa) ?

the guy at the shop recommended the G30 over the more expensive G50 because "we've had a lot of returns of the G50, battery cover issues", ironically

Yesterday I picked up a Boss WL-20 system to try with my DB. I may also use it with my EB and EUB(both active) but the main purpose is to avoid cables and be able to move around more when I play the DB. I tried a Line 6  G10 a while back but it developed problems and also didn't like the active pick ups.

Similar to the G 10 the Boss unit has a small transmitter that plugs into the instrument and an equally small receiver that I have going into my Schatten design mini pre and then a cable to the amp or mixer. I have the pre amp mounted on my mic stand for easy access, it is basically a volume control, I EQ on the amp or mixer and I can move around all I want and even (gasp!) spin the DB if I feel the need.

After an hour or two of playing I'm quite happy with the unit and will give it a tryout at an outdoor gig tonight, if it doesn't get cancelled due to possible thunder storms.  

Well I tried the Boss WL-20 with my DB last night at an outdoor street gig with the jazz standards quartet and it was great. The sound was good and no cables underfoot so I could move around as much as I wanted.The batteries had a factory charge on them when I bought them and I used them at home for an hour or two and then played three 45-50 minute sets at the gig and the batteries are still fine.

My bass has a KNA DB 1 pick up and after the preamp it goes into our Bose PA which is perfect for this band (keys, sax/clarinet,vocals,bass into the PA,drums acoustic).

So far I'm impressed with the simplicity and the sound of this rig and I hope it will continue to work as well.  

I’ve been gigging the Audio Technica system 10 stomp box for about 4-5 years now. Never misses a beat and sounds good to me.  My rhythm guitarist uses the shure system which also works faultlessly.  My lead guitarist’s tone is far too delicate to be defiled by a wireless system 😂

• Haha 3

My G50 went down for some unknown reason last weekend at a festival. Been spot on til that point and actually working at home. Do I trust it? Hmm.... Still I bought the new G75 and that seems excellent at home. 2 x gigs this weekend so see how it stacks up ‘live’. G50 now a spare until I can get it looked at.

Realised its a power issue, not getting enough from the CS6 on a single 9v 200a supply. Working beautifully now.

Edited by walshy