Why become a member? ×

Who is wireless?

la bam

1 minute ago, dave_bass5 said:

As i posted above, the standard WL-20 has a freq attenuation that is supposed to emulate a cable. I found it a bit too severe. Personally i prefer the full range version and knock the top end off on my amp if needed. Better to give the signal a fighting chance IMO.

Ah yes I meant to say I want the WL20L, I thought the models were the other way round. Yes just a pure signal please!

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, ped said:

It will be interesting to A/B it with my favourite cable. I can definitely hear the difference between that and a few others I have, so I assume/hope the wireless will be up there in terms of quality (but I assume not as good as the best cable)

There should be no capacitance that you get on a standard length of cable. It should actually sound better from that point of view... but whether that is something you like is debatable. Basically, wireless should reproduce top end better than a cable.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, sprocketflup said:

? please tell me more....

https://neotechstraps.com/wireless-pouch.html

the small size fits the G30 transmitter perfectly :)

PS I use Eneloop rechargeables and they last ages. But the Ikea brand Ladda are the exact same battery, out of the same factory,except hold 95% of the Eneloops, thats 2450mAh v 2550mAh and cost $2 each vs $8 for Eneloops.

Edited by bazzbass
  • Thanks 1

Just now, la bam said:

Thanks for the replies.

Interesting that line 6 seem to be the most popular. But what made people choose a g30, say over a different model (and vice versa) ?

For me it was cost. I knew i wouldn't be playing any large venues, we are a self contained function band. The Line6 has been more than stable enough. Ive now gone to the Boss only because its smaller and doesn't need a PSU so more convenient for me.

• Like 1

Only of the last few months I started using an AKG WMS40 which got great reviews on Amazon. None of us could detect any latency issues, although I have had a couple of issues with battery life if I don't watch it like a hawk i.e. fresh battery at the start of every big gig. I love the freedom of it, especially as we're an energetic band.

1 minute ago, Cat Burrito said:

Only of the last few months I started using an AKG WMS40 which got great reviews on Amazon. None of us could detect any latency issues, although I have had a couple of issues with battery life if I don't watch it like a hawk i.e. fresh battery at the start of every big gig. I love the freedom of it, especially as we're an energetic band.

AKG WMS40 isn't digital - therefore isn't subject to the analogue to digital conversion (and vice versa) (and the latency with which it brings) that the other systems in this thread mention. The downside is however, they have a compander - which can lead to you being robbed of botom frequencies and the higher frequencies being harsh and brittle. Of course, each implementation of the compander implementation is generally unique to each manufactuer (and model) which means results can vary substantially.

8 minutes ago, Cat Burrito said:

This is what i used before getting the G30. Ive still got it somewhere. It never gave me any issues other than as you say, battery life can be quite short. Before this i had the AKG Bug. Again, no issues.

Edited by dave_bass5

I've used a few systems over the years from an old Audio Technica system through to my current Line 6 XD-V75.  Also have a smoothound system but found the latency too high when used with a digital mixer and IEMs (no issue with the Line 6).  Also had a G30 system and, whilst i agree that the battery door design leaves an awful lot to be desired, a simple velcro strap around the case fixed the problem for me and i gigged that for quite a while.

I like the XD-V75 as it has channel scan and is rack-mountable along with all my other gear which makes for a very easy setup.  No issue with interference even though the rack contains my IEM Tx and a wireless router for the mixer all in close proximity (not recommended but works fine in our situation).  I have also been using a NUX B-3 wireless setup for my mic as well - i was pretty skeptical at first but no issues with interference, latency or sound quality - it's a great bit of kit

16 hours ago, fleabag said:

So far, i'm the only one using Xvives. No trouble with actives, though i now use passives, and no latency.

Xvives for me too.

The only problem I've had was interference from the guitarists wireless, which went away when we changed channels.

No lead is one thing, but no plug is real winner. Charge each unit and they last 5 hours.

16 hours ago, fleabag said:

So far, i'm the only one using Xvives. No trouble with actives, though i now use passives, and no latency.

You do know you were the second person to post about using Xvives dont you  lol. 

Edited by dave_bass5
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, fleabag said:

I use xvives too. Great sound and convenience but not good on any active basses I've got and it knocks out the house wifi, not so serious but it also knocks out the bands behringer digital mixer, do I don't use it live. 

Where do people put their receivers, pedal board or amp top... Or somewhere else? Also does where you have the transmitter affect things? I got a pouch for mine and might run it through my belt...

Got a knock about gig on Thurs night that is likely to have less than ten punters so might fly by the seat of my pants and go wireless making sure I use the scan function .. fingers crossed.

In the days before wireless I was mostly bass-cable-amp for gigs, so for wireless it’s the same:

Bass into G30 transmitter - receiver on top of amp.

Incidentally, the transmitter goes into my back pocket so swapping basses is a doddle, just unplug bass A pop into stand, grab bass B and plug in – job done.

Line 6 G30 user here. Bought it used several years ago and it has never let me down. It'll do 2 to 2 1/2 gigs or rehearsals on a set of batteries. I have it in a Levys pouch on the strap with the tramsmitter on my board next to my Zoom B3 and VT bass.

It looks like I'm the only person using an Audio Technica System 10. The thing I like about it is the receiver is built around a stomp box base so it fits onto my pedal board and is powered the same way as any other pedal. The transmitter, which takes 2 AA batteries, is about the size of a small cell phone and clips onto the back of my strap. 

It's got quite a sensive attenuator inside. Fully open, a Jazz bass, with swing bass 66 strings, is quite trebly and fizzy. So it needs quite a bit of attenuation. But it's mostly been reliable since I got it and am quite happy.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, uk_lefty said:

Where do people put their receivers, pedal board or amp top... Or somewhere else? Also does where you have the transmitter affect things? I got a pouch for mine and might run it through my belt...

Mine is on my pedalboard, which is a shame when I am not using that at practice as I keep tripping over the lead.

The position of the transmitter never affected anything, but as it is one of those with a hinge (has to be said, quite a weak one) and I have a load of ibanezes, I have always just put it on the strap or on my belt.

21 hours ago, uk_lefty said:

Got a knock about gig on Thurs night that is likely to have less than ten punters so might fly by the seat of my pants and go wireless making sure I use the scan function .. fingers crossed.

As I’m only using two pedals now i have to plug my receiver in to the side of  my MXR filter. On the floor.  I use a right angled male to female adaptor so its not sticking out of the side of the pedal in a way that if i stamp on the pedal it will snap off. 

Edited by dave_bass5

On 01/07/2019 at 19:18, Agwin said:

Line 6 G30 - Never had any issues apart from one sound guy who insisted I used a jack lead "because it would pick up interference from passing taxis or car engines" or something equally ridiculous.

It hasn't yet - although there's a first time for everything.

The only problem I've had with mine is the clip snapped off...I mainly use mine for sound checks .