Why become a member? ×

Who is wireless?

la bam

I'm another Line 6 G30 user here, I've only had it for a couple of months have gigged and used it for rehearsals it without any issue, I was able to speak to the sound guy at the desk when there were sound issues (not related to the wireless.)

Battery life is good.

1 hour ago, uk_lefty said:

Line 6 G75. Not yet confident to gig it. When using in rehearsal it has dropped out a few times but my issue is once it drops out it doesn't reconnect. I think I've not been scanning for the best channel to use first, combine that with rehearsal studios being full of electrical interference, I need to experiment more before it goes out to gig so jury's out for me.

Definitely use the scan feature, I let it scan for 20 seconds or so. I've not had a single dropout, and have used it at some big festivals. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, uk_lefty said:

Line 6 G75. Not yet confident to gig it. When using in rehearsal it has dropped out a few times but my issue is once it drops out it doesn't reconnect. I think I've not been scanning for the best channel to use first, combine that with rehearsal studios being full of electrical interference, I need to experiment more before it goes out to gig so jury's out for me.

Scan every time you use it.

Even when returning to the same place.

I had similar issues with my G70 (same guts as the G75). Sometimes I needed channel 11 and sometimes channel 1.

The difference was an ancient tumble dryer being on or not!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, steantval said:

I have heard somewhere that some of these wireless systems don’t work to well with active basses, is this true ?

Some can be a bit sensitive if the transmitter is very close to the bass - like the Smooth Hound and other "bug" systems.

Easily solved by using a 30 cm extension cable on the bug and mounting the bug on your strap like a bigger pack would be.

14 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

BOSS WL20, no fiddly settings on a darkly lit stage, just plug the two units together and they find the best signal. Charge lasts pretty good, and as they`re both chargeable units no extra plug sockets to find on stage, just two little gizmos, one in your bass, one in your amp/tuner etc. Also simulates a 10ft cable so no sudden change in tone if for whatever reason you have to go back to using a lead mid-gig.

Did you see my post about the cable tone? I couldnt beam any TC Electronics Tone Prints via my WL-20, although i can with the WL-20L that i replaced it with. I can also do this with a 30ft cable so my thoughts are there is a bit too much attenuation going on with the WL-20. i only used it for one rehearsal and i also felt the tones wasn't as bright as i was used to with my Xvive 2.

Line 6 G30 here and it's been brilliant. Feels a little cheap but they are not expensive so can't expect everything. Only issue I ever had is our two guitarists use them as well but one of them is an older version. Sometimes, if he is standing near my receiver which is on top of my amp it cuts mine out so must be some interference thing. We've tried changing all my channels but it still does it. Looking at the manual it does say something about older models may cause interference. Apart from that it has been brilliant and about 150 gigs so far I'm very happy.

52 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

Did you see my post about the cable tone? I couldnt beam any TC Electronics Tone Prints via my WL-20, although i can with the WL-20L that i replaced it with. I can also do this with a 30ft cable so my thoughts are there is a bit too much attenuation going on with the WL-20. i only used it for one rehearsal and i also felt the tones wasn't as bright as i was used to with my Xvive 2.

Yeah that’s interesting, I’ve not really noticed any difference between using the WL20 and  a 20 ft lead.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Les said:

How many gigs are you Line 6 G30 users getting out of a set of batteries ?  

i used to get 3 gigs (2/12 max per gig) out of one charge, using Eneloop Pro's rechargeable with my G30.

Edited by dave_bass5

29 minutes ago, ped said:

I have yet to try one where I don't notice the latency (in studio environment). It's a shame because I really don't like cables all over the place and I love gadgets 

With the latency of modern digital wireless, I'd be very surprised at that. Things like Smooth Hound and alixpress specials where latency figures are up near 8ms when combined with the latency of sound cards and round trips... then sure, yeah, I get that. But latency figures of sub 2ms... you are superhuman and you are beyond a metronome.

24 minutes ago, ped said:

I have yet to try one where I don't notice the latency (in studio environment). It's a shame because I really don't like cables all over the place and I love gadgets 

IIRC you are using a load of digital stuff as part of your signal chain which already adds a degree of latency to the signal, and the wireless is just adding enough extra for the cumulative effect to be noticeable. Unfortunately sone of the more popular digital wireless units while perfectly capable on their own are already very close to the acceptable latency figures and couple these with any other digital effect you will be into noticeable latency.

Also as EBS-freak has pointed out if you are monitoring in software rather than hardware when recording again the cumulative effect might be just pushing the latency over the edge.

What wireless units have you been using and what is you studio signal path?

42 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

IIRC you are using a load of digital stuff as part of your signal chain which already adds a degree of latency to the signal, and the wireless is just adding enough extra for the cumulative effect to be noticeable. Unfortunately sone of the more popular digital wireless units while perfectly capable on their own are already very close to the acceptable latency figures and couple these with any other digital effect you will be into noticeable latency.

Also as EBS-freak has pointed out if you are monitoring in software rather than hardware when recording again the cumulative effect might be just pushing the latency over the edge.

What wireless units have you been using and what is you studio signal path?

This is pretty much it. Digital wireless can be a complete nightmare for some people - some units have stupidly high latency. A lot of modern name brand units are now under 2ms with the vast majority being under 3ms.

Digital pedals, fx units etc all have their A/D D/A conversion which all add latency. So if you have enough of those in a line, the ms all start to add up. Latency can crop up from a lot of sources in the studio - the conversion process itself, the power of the host, latency on plugins... and thats before we start talking about latency before it hits the DAW - things like digital pedals, modellers, VB99s etc.

Most people have a tolerance between 7ms and 10ms latency. The most extreme cases, people have a tolerance of 4ms. But there are very, very, very edge case. This is why I say that a Smooth Hound with a latency of 8ms is pretty poor - and by adding in a digital pedal or two can blow that 10ms limit. It always makes me smile when I read comments like "no latency" or "no perceivable latency" with regard to that particular unit, as thats more a comment on their user's sense of timing...! Should probably say though, if you are standing on top of your amplifier going in direct, then something like a SmoothHound is likely to be OK for a good many. IEM users? Digital pedal users... err... I'd err on the side of caution.

Edited by EBS_freak

Yes it could have been a cumulative effect - I think I was super sensitive to it as I'd just returned an iRig 2 HD because the latency was really noticeable. I'm pretty sure I had a Smoothhound and another I tried was a Shure (I think?) but really can't remember. I really like the look of the Boss wireless so perhaps worth giving another go. It's just that at home I play with what (to me) is a perfect setup which sounds so crystal clear that any noise or latency stands right out. I mean I am even able to hear a difference in cables, something I never thought possible.

I might give the Boss WL-20 a go then... 

5 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

The G70 and 75 are claimed at 1.5ms

I think that’s the lowest I’ve ever seen quoted. 

Lectrosonics D Squared trumps it... Massively faster at 1.4ms :p

I think Axient is still industry leader though, at sub 1ms.

Edited by EBS_freak
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, ped said:

I might give the Boss WL-20 a go then... 

One of the nice things about the Boss WL-20 system is there are 14 channels, so less chance of clashing with someone else. The system scans the area and finds the least congested channel. The downside is there is no way of setting this manually.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

One of the nice things about the Boss WL-20 system is there are 14 channels, so less chance of clashing with someone else. The system scans the area and finds the least congested channel. The downside is there is no way of setting this manually.

It will be interesting to A/B it with my favourite cable. I can definitely hear the difference between that and a few others I have, so I assume/hope the wireless will be up there in terms of quality (but I assume not as good as the best cable)

42 minutes ago, Blink said:

I use the Sony DWZ system and it works very well. The sax player in the band also uses one.

Thats what i use - gigged every weekend for about the last 4 years (so about 200 gigs and then rehearsals on top of that) and its never skipped a beat. Receiver is mounted on my pedalboard and the transmitter is a robust metal unit. Discontinued a few years back so i am on the lookout for a spare just in case....

Line6 G30

the two common problems are the flimsy battery cover and crappy clip. Both solved with the NeoTech pouch which is brilliant, elasticised sides apply pressure on the battery door and it easily velcros to any strap.

When I bought a second transmitter, I broke the clip off deliberately so it fits the pouch better hehe

4 minutes ago, bazzbass said:

Line6 G30

the two common problems are the flimsy battery cover and crappy clip. Both solved with the NeoTech pouch which is brilliant, elasticised sides apply pressure on the battery door and it easily velcros to any strap.

When I bought a second transmitter, I broke the clip off deliberately so it fits the pouch better hehe

? please tell me more....

17 minutes ago, ped said:

It will be interesting to A/B it with my favourite cable. I can definitely hear the difference between that and a few others I have, so I assume/hope the wireless will be up there in terms of quality (but I assume not as good as the best cable)

As i posted above, the standard WL-20 has a freq attenuation that is supposed to emulate a cable. I found it a bit too severe. Personally i prefer the full range version and knock the top end off on my amp if needed. Better to give the signal a fighting chance IMO.