Why become a member? ×

Focusrite Scarlett 6i6

JapanAxe

I am looking to get one of these to replace my Roland Quad Capture, for 2 reasons:

• more routing options;
  • separate PSU, so hopefully less USB-related noise.

There is a used 1st Gen available locally, but the seller does not have the activation card with the software validation cards. Does anyone know whether I will have a problem installing or using Scarlett MixControl without these codes? @Sibob? Alternatively, how easy is it to set your routing by just using the options in your DAW (I use Reaper) without MixControl?

Also, what would be the benefits of paying the extra for the 2nd Gen model?

TIA

After some online searching, the main non-cosmetic differences seem to be:

• Improved latency / sample rate performance, but the new drivers will also improve the performance of the Gen 1 units at the sample rates that the Gen 1 units can achieve - see here; and
  • Better gain structure for the instrument inputs.

Also the seller say they have successfully used MixControl, so that sounds promising.

@Sibob has very kindly promised to come back to me when he has a bit more time.

And now they've brought out Gen 3. No direct replacement for the 6i6. The new 4i4 has as many outputs as the Geb 1 and Gen 26i6, but no digital in (boo!) and is USB powered (trying to avoid this!). I wonder if Gen 2 prices will start to come down now?

Just to clarify a few things:

- 8i6 3rd Gen is the direct replacement for 6i6 2nd Gen, it just has two extra line inputs.
- 4i4 has two less inputs and two less outputs than 2nd Gen 6i6.
- As you say, ADAT inputs only on 18i8 & 18i20, although 3rd Gen 8i6/ 2nd Gen 6i6 do have SPDIF in & out. 

Cheers :) 

Si // Focusrite

Edited by Sibob
  • Thanks 1

Just taken delivery of the 6i6 2nd Gen, installed the software, plugged it in, and - cowabunga! This is one of those go-up-a-level pieces of kit :)

• No USB buzz
  • Loads of headroom
  • Easy-to-use software with lots of routing options

Also I've got my request block size in Reaper down to 16 samples (3.6ms/2.4ms) - previously it didn't play nicely at anything less than 512 samples, despite setting the Roland Quad Capture to match.

I call that a win on multiple fronts. Congrats @Sibob, your company makes great products!

• Like 1