Why become a member? ×

dented cab grille

gunkbass

Hi all.

Ive got a old Hartke VX410 that works absoloutely fine but has a dented front grille.  Has anyone got any good tips on how to repair the dent so I can refix the name badge.  I am DIY level pathetic unfortunately, however I am also a tightwad and dont want to spend any cash if I can help it.

Thanks everyone 

Get two squares of plywood bigger than the dent drill four holes in them,, matched up as a pair. Bolt the squares either side of the grille over the dent using bolts small enough to fit through the grille, really tight.This should flatten it rather than distorting it further.

Edited by Stub Mandrel
  • Like 1

Pretty much as mentioned above however if you have access to a large vice then you may have some success sandwiching the grill between two pieces of hard wood and tightening it all up in the vice. This works reasonably well if the dents are around the edge of the grill.

A footnote however is that whatever you do will only every be partially successful though. When a metal grill gets dented or dinged then it effectively stretches the metal. When you try to straighten it back out you are effectively trying shrink or compress the area that has been stretched and this is rarely 100% effective.

• Like 1

On 03/07/2019 at 11:25, Ghost_Bass said:

I would take it off, remove the badge to prevent damage, place it over a smooth surface like a matt ou a rug with the concave side facing down, and walk over it until it flattens nice. But that's me :D 

I'd do the same, but I'd jump up and down on it, threatening it & swearing until it did what I wanted!  smiley 

:D

Works for Mrs Teebs... :ph34r:

• Haha 2

On 03/07/2019 at 12:25, Ghost_Bass said:

I would take it off, remove the badge to prevent damage, place it over a smooth surface like a matt ou a rug with the concave side facing down, and walk over it until it flattens nice. But that's me :D 

The risk is that this could stretch it further. Squeezing it forces the mesh pattern to distort slightly to accommodate the stretching that's already taken place, but it's not going to be 100% perfect any way you do it.

1 hour ago, Teebs said:

I'd do the same, but I'd jump up and down on it, threatening it & swearing until it did what I wanted!  smiley 

:D

Works for Mrs Teebs... :ph34r:

What you two get up to in the privacy of your own bedroom is your business.....

I'm sort of surprised she lets you though......

Odd woman. 😮

• Haha 1

You could buy a new one....

http://www.speakergrills.co.uk/

Or, as you're a tightwad according to your original post, just live with the dents. If the grill is still doing its job of protecting the cone why bother? In fact, why not 'relic' it?

Stencil band name of your choice on it and then rub the stencil till it looks faded. Stickers, peeled and torn off. You know the kind of thing...

Hey, people do it to very expensive guitars so why not amps, cabs and combos?