Why become a member? ×

Markbass Super Synth power

ironkerton

Hey,

I've given up trying to find a reasonable way to power my MB SS through a brick and accept it needs its own power supply. However the one it came with didn't have a UK plug and I'm sick of it wobbling about in its adapter.

Can anyone please recommend a specific power supply they are happy with for this - I know I need 12vdc minimum 550mA (!!!), but beyond that have too many memories of power supplies frying so if anyone has had joy with a specific one pls let me know! 

Which power bricks have you tried? I agree that it does need 12V for sure, but in my experience it worked fine with around 300mA to 400mA current draw - I managed to power mine quite happily with a Ciocks DC8 power brick.

Edited by Al Krow

I've honestly lost count. Voodoo Power, an MXR, T Rex... Whenever anyone has one I haven't had a go on I try it like bloody Cinderella 😂.

That's really good to know though, not tried yours. I'll take a look at it. Thanks!

7 hours ago, ironkerton said:

I've honestly lost count. Voodoo Power, an MXR, T Rex... Whenever anyone has one I haven't had a go on I try it like bloody Cinderella 😂.

That's really good to know though, not tried yours. I'll take a look at it. Thanks!

Depending on if you're using a 'flat' pedal board eg a Pedaltrain Metro, you may want to consider either the Ciocks DC5 or the One Spot CS6 instead, so that your PSU can fit snugly underneath.

The DC8 is better for angled boards with a bit more space underneath. I've replaced my DC8 with a MXR IsoBrick (oodles of power and 10 outputs) for my big PT2 board and got a One Spot CS6 for my smaller flat Metro 24 board. 

The key with MB SS is definitely having access to 12V outputs and if you have more than one on a brick you can use a 'current doubler' lead to combine eg 300 mA + 100mA outputs to get you 400 mA. 

But if I was to give you 'best advice', I'd be saying forget the MB SS, it's now pretty dated 2009 pedal synth tech; sell it and together with the saved cost of a new PSU get yourself an used Panda Future Impact! :) 

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1

Now now, I don't need any more encouragement to add more pedals to my board! I've been keeping an eye out already for one 2nd hand 😂

I have a very angled monkeydream board which would fit one of these under just great so I'll have a look. Thanks very much. 

• 2 weeks later...

I bought an Eden Californiwah and then proceeded to fall in love with the sound it makes only to fin pd it needs a 15V supply when trying to put it on my pedal board. Swapped my T-Rex Fuel Tank for a Palmer power supply from Thomann. The PWT12 has four outputs which can switch between 9V, 12V, 15V and 18V. 

https://www.thomann.de/gb/palmer_pwt_12_mk_2.htm

Warning though, it comes with a European  power supply (they don’t make a 3 pin one yet) so make sure that Thomann throw in a free adaptor socket. Works really well with my pedalboard and is slim enough to mount underneath.

On 09/07/2019 at 19:49, TrevorR said:

I bought an Eden Californiwah and then proceeded to fall in love with the sound it makes only to fin pd it needs a 15V supply when trying to put it on my pedal board. Swapped my T-Rex Fuel Tank for a Palmer power supply from Thomann. The PWT12 has four outputs which can switch between 9V, 12V, 15V and 18V. 

https://www.thomann.de/gb/palmer_pwt_12_mk_2.htm

Warning though, it comes with a European  power supply (they don’t make a 3 pin one yet) so make sure that Thomann throw in a free adaptor socket. Works really well with my pedalboard and is slim enough to mount underneath.

Oooh that looks dead good that! I'm gonna check it out. Cheers!