Why become a member? ×

What’s the go to ‘light but low’ rig these days?

Moos3h

Hi all,

Have a budget (subject to credit card limit!) of £1k and looking for something that fits in my car’s stupidly small boot.

Thinking 2 x 1x12 and a class D amp.  Have just got a five string and need something that doesn’t just handle the low B but bosses it!

Throw ideas at me folks :)

Cheers,

James

I can recommend the Quilter Bass Block 800 head. Very reasonably priced with tons of performance on tap. In my experience its power delivery is significantly more robust than its competitors at the price point.  Should leave you with enough money to get a decent cab, too!

• Like 2

Useful parallel thread on whether the BF 110 will be enough - the answer I guess will entirely depend on what setting you're using it in.

A BF SC should tick the boxes in terms of compact size and also gives a bit more headroom than the BF 110. They're around £500 used, and do come up from time to time, so that should leave you with plenty of budget for any number of excellent amp heads. Be good to know what 5 string you've just got and what sound are you looking for in terms of sound to give you a steer on amp heads?

But if you want a compact cab that not only handles the low B but "bosses it" then a Fearless F112 is unsurpassed in terms of being able to do that and all round quality. It's just awesome. However, new, they are around £810 delivered, which is not going to leave you much budget for your amp. There have been a couple sold for around £625 to £650 used but they seem to be less prevalent with BC'ers and therefore tend to come up less often used. In terms of size, the F112 is also another very compact cab, comparison next to my BF SC:

Fearless F112 & BF SC I.jpg

Fearless F112 & BF SC II.jpg

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1

On 30/06/2019 at 21:38, Moos3h said:

Have a budget (subject to credit card limit!) of £1k and looking for something that fits in my car’s stupidly small boot.

Thinking 2 x 1x12 and a class D amp.  Have just got a five string and need something that doesn’t just handle the low B but bosses it!

My main gigging rig is a TC RH450 into a Barefaced Compact. Would cost close to £1200 new (substituting the no-longer-produced Compact by a Super Compact) but you should be able to get it within budget 2nd hand. It certainly fits your criteria for being small and making everyone in the room instantaneously pregnant when you hit the low notes.

S.P.

An RCF 732A is a bit like a Fearless F112 with a built-in power amp.  They are £760.  My 5-string sounds great through it and has enough volume to overpower a drummer.

If that's not loud enough, there are more powerful models: 735A (£780) or 745A (over budget at £1150).

Anyway we still need to know the dimensions of your car's boot :D

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, jrixn1 said:

An RCF 732A is a bit like a Fearless F112 with a built-in power amp.  They are £760.  My 5-string sounds great through it and has enough volume to overpower a drummer.

If that's not loud enough, there are more powerful models: 735A (£780) or 745A (over budget at £1150).

Anyway we still need to know the dimensions of your car's boot :D

RCFs are excellent. Be interested if the 732A really could go head to head with a Fearless F112 at the low end, given that the Fearless has more low-end punch than most cabs I've come across (including excellent cabs such as the VK 210 LNT and BF SC)? Appreciate we are really focusing on the first harmonic of the low B at 60Hz and above but the 732A does have a low end f response cut-off of 50Hz, so it's not catering even for the open low E fundamental at 40 Hz and, as a FRFR PA speaker designed to give great performance across the full f range, it's not been attuned to bass frequencies in the same way that a bass cab would be.

Edited by Al Krow

2 hours ago, Twigman said:

My GT86 has a 'stupidly small boot' - my goto rig is a Barefaced Supermidget and a TecAmp Puma900 - significantly more than your £1k budget new but secondhand might work.

I remember the amazing amount of sound that came from your rig, Ian, pretty astonishing fir the size.

Quilter bass block 800 then £400-500 on a second hand cab. 

I found the barefaced super compact not enough if I'm honest, but if you're not a loud band should be ok.

I use a laney n410 which may be slightly too big for your car boot? But amazing at 21kg.

I used the quilter and n410 outdoors in a castle and didn't even get close to half volume.