Jump to content
dyerseve

Warwick Dolphin Pro 1 4 string broadneck?

Recommended Posts

So I think I am right in thinking that 5 string broadneck Pro 1s are quite rare. What about 4 string Pro 1 broadnecks? Is this rare, standard or just somewhere in between?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If the bass has 19 mm string spacing at the bridge and 4 strings, it is "broadneck" so standard by nature. But if it has 5 strings and 19 mm spacing, it certainly is a "broadneck" or wide 5.

5-string basses may have spacing between 14 - 21.5 mm. These very wide fretboards can be found from Ibanez BTB, certain Warwicks, and far more expensive custom instruments like Modulus Graphite. There are others, too, but I just keep this comment short.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, itu said:

If the bass has 19 mm string spacing at the bridge and 4 strings, it is "broadneck" so standard by nature. But if it has 5 strings and 19 mm spacing, it certainly is a "broadneck" or wide 5.

5-string basses may have spacing between 14 - 21.5 mm. These very wide fretboards can be found from Ibanez BTB, certain Warwicks, and far more expensive custom instruments like Modulus Graphite. There are others, too, but I just keep this comment short.

Well I'm sorry but I think the broadneck, at least for Warwick, also refers to width at the nut. Standard 4 string width at the nut for Warwicks is 38.5mm but they do 4 string broadneck with a nut width of 44mm.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The 4 String Dolphin is 44mm nut standard, whereas the 5 string is 45mm.  So, the 4 is a “broadneck” whereas the 5 is regular.  Bar the custom shop, the 5 string broadneck was a very limited run in 1991.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I wasn't aware of a broadneck option on 4-strings, but their webshop indeed lists the current 4-string Just-a-nut 3 in 36.5, 38.5 and 44 mm. The old Just-a-nut with individually adjustable string height also has a 40 mm option. Cool!

The 4-string bridges are listed in the webshop in one width only though, 19 mm at the bridge (whereas a broadneck 5-string has 20 mm spacing as opposed to the standard 16.5 mm spacing).

Edited by LeftyJ

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Kev said:

The 4 String Dolphin is 44mm nut standard, whereas the 5 string is 45mm.  So, the 4 is a “broadneck” whereas the 5 is regular.  Bar the custom shop, the 5 string broadneck was a very limited run in 1991.

Thanks Kev,  that's everything I needed to know. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The broadneck option was pretty wild. Not just for the 20mm string spacing - not such a big deal - but on the thicker necks the width combined with the huge depth of the neck made for a titantic piece of wood. I assume the early 90's BN models weren't quite like this due to the necks being slimmer front to back and with smaller shoulders back then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From memory, I don’t remember the difference between 1991 Dolphin BN5 and my 2013 SSI BN 5 being that different in terms of depth. Think the shape of the new necks are more D than the C of old. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dolphins have acquired a near mythical status... (No I'm not thinking of mermaids.) I'd love to try a 5 or a 6...

Are they as comfortable as they look?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, visog said:

Dolphins have acquired a near mythical status... (No I'm not thinking of mermaids.) I'd love to try a 5 or a 6...

Are they as comfortable as they look?

I’ve had 2 x 4s, and no. I wouldn’t say I found them uncomfortable, but the shape and the weight made them a bit borderline, although I loved the looks, neck and tone of my ‘91. I found the ergonomics just a bit weird. But hey, I find Rics the most comfortable bass out there, so YMMV. 😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Don't own a 5 ..

.. but my dolphin 4 is very comfy with excellent balance.  Lovely feel to the slim, wax finished ovangkol neck.   Needs to be worn unfashionably high to take advantage of the concave back, and the comfort is somewhat biased to playing in higher positions ... it's a long reach back along that endless neck to find a bottom F.

The through neck merging into the body is lovely too .. knocks the ergonomics of my Wals into a cocked hat.  Heavy .. 4.6kg ..but I have heavier basses.

all in all: looks weird, feels great, sounds "distinctive" ( though less so than a thumb )

 

Edited by NickA
weight

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, visog said:

Dolphins have acquired a near mythical status... (No I'm not thinking of mermaids.) I'd love to try a 5 or a 6...

Are they as comfortable as they look?

Did they ever come as 6? I have never seen one. But ergonomically they must be similar to Thumbs. If you get on with those I would think Dolphins are just as good. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

There is indeed a dolphin 6,  not included in the official price list, but I bet you'd need a mortgage to buy one.

 

Edited by NickA
spelling

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They even made a crazy 7 for a Mr Yamaguchi, with crazy LED inlays and wood pickup covers, solid flamed maple body, neck and fingerboard and a Karelian Birch top. Looks wild!

CO_0237MXXX56BWXXX3PW_web_02.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, bassbora said:

But ergonomically they must be similar to Thumbs. If you get on with those I would think Dolphins are just as good. 

Different altogether 'ergonomically'!  The Thumb's short top horn throws the first fret out wide, whereas the Dolphin is the opposite.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For some reason, I found my Dolphin Pro 2 much comfier than my Pro 1s.  And it wasn’t just the weight.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, warwickhunt said:

Different altogether 'ergonomically'!  The Thumb's short top horn throws the first fret out wide, whereas the Dolphin is the opposite.  

+1.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, 4000 said:

For some reason, I found my Dolphin Pro 2 much comfier than my Pro 1s.  And it wasn’t just the weight.

I agree... I sold my pair of Pro I's (inc Custom Shop which was quite light) and kept my Pro II in preference!  :/  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The '6' above looks wonderful but with the '7' it looks squashed and I suspect we're getting diminishing returns as an instrument. 

PS Still want one for some irrational reason...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, warwickhunt said:

I agree... I sold my pair of Pro I's (inc Custom Shop which was quite light) and kept my Pro II in preference!  :/  

My Pro II was better than my ‘96 Pro 1 by some margin. I sold it to a friend but would have it back in a heartbeat, except he won’t sell it. He gets a tremendous tone out of it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 04/07/2019 at 12:07, warwickhunt said:

Different altogether 'ergonomically'!  The Thumb's short top horn throws the first fret out wide, whereas the Dolphin is the opposite.  

My bad. I have never played one but for some reason I thought it might be similar 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 04/07/2019 at 08:33, NickA said:

There is indeed a dolphin 6,  not included in the official price list, but I bet you'd need a mortgage to buy one.

 

I have not looked at the current thing. I am really sad but I only like Warwicks from around 90 +- 1-2 years. And back then 6 was not an option. I read a review in Bass Player in 90 or 91 and that’s when I first saw one. Jazz bass on steroids was the description of the sound. It looked so different and interesting but sadly I never got one. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Trying not to derail this thread. I was just watching Dave Grohl’s Sound City. There are pictures of Nirvana recording Nevermind and Kris is pictured with a Dolphin in few shots. Not a fan of the band or album but I was surprised when I saw it. I have no idea if it was used on the album or what tracks but that would be quite funny if Smells like teen spirit would have been recorded with one. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...