Why become a member? ×

Replacing a trace elliot, any sugestions?

nunonaos

Hello, first post here, i've read lots of topics here but never registred until now.

If you don't want to read everything, just try to answer the questions in the end :) 

My current rig is a trace elliot gp12 300w and a gk neo 210 cab.

In the amp i turn of the pre shape and use the pre amp valve (not as distorcion, just to smooth the sound a little) and the compressor (dual band). I love the sound of this amp with these settings, it's fast a defined and i have enough volume. I never had the need to go past half the master volume. I play in a rock band with a loud drumer, two guitars and a synth. The guitarists use 2x12 cabs, one with a 40w bogner and the other with a 50w vox, but they never crank them.

So... my trace elliot sounds great but it is having some intermitent problems, sometimes the sound stops and only starts again if I punch the head!!! :) Sometimes the lights (that indicate the input gain) still work and other times they don't, indicating that there may be more than one problem. I've taken the amp to two techs, but they can't reproduce the problem and although they cleaned the jacks and had a look at the solders the problem remains.

Because of this, I need to replace the head. I though about the gallien kruegger RB700 II, but recently have been looking at the EBS Reidmar 750, Fender rumble 3 500 (combo) and ampeg combo 210. I have some heads but also combos, with a combo i would only use the combo if I dind't have space in the car but could take the gk 210 neo for gigs where I have more space in the car. Altough I don't know if my cab is going to sound good with a fender or ampeg combo...

I live in a small in portugal and have to order the amps from thomann or other online music store, local stores here don't have any of these amps so I can test them. Even if I could, i would never test them with the band so...

I'm hoping you can give me a direction...

1. Do any of the amps i've meation sound anything like the trace elliot?
  2. Will my cab (GK 210 neo) sound any good with combos like fender rumble 210, ampeg 210, or ebs magni 500. My cab is also 2x10 but has different drivers and positions...
  3. Do any of these have known problems?
  4. Do you have a better sugestion for me? :)

Thank you.

Buy another Trace (or two)!

There are some great amps about (and I’ve had most of them) but in my experience if you want the Trace sound and the familiarity of the preamp, you’re better off sticking to what you know.

I’m not sure on the availability of Trace heads in Portugal but in the UK they’re dirt cheap because they’re heavy and not fashionable. You could buy one as your main amp and one as a back up. 👍

As suggested get another Trace Eliot,one of the older heads which is wot I’ve got,had about 30 years and allways go back to it model is smx350

that Ashdown head that was for sale has now gone as I think it was mine which was a nice head

im currently using a Gallien Kruger mb fusion 800 w head which is tiny and weighs hardly anything,Well worth a look,It’s that good I got a second hand mb 500 head to go in my rack case as a spare 

On 30/06/2019 at 19:34, nunonaos said:

Hello, first post here,. . . . . 

1. Do you have a better sugestion for me? :)

Thank you.

Hi.

My suggestion is, if you are looking for gear that sounds like TE then get your amp repaired or buy some more TE. Anything else will sound different.

IMO a lot of the gear made today sounds just as good as TE ever did, but if you expect one make to sound like another then you will usually end up being disappointed. 

Good luck with your search.

If you want your amp repaired properly then Essex amps in Witham essex is the place to go or pmt Romford as Chris who worked for the bass centre for many years knows these amps inside out,I think if you take it to any pmt shop they will ship it down to him