Why become a member? ×

Grime.

bubinga5

6 hours ago, project_c said:

Not true, grime is huge these days, it’s very popular in the USA. Drake is putting music out on Skepta’s label, Stomzy is hanging out with Jay-z, Dizzee is doing stuff with US rappers - not saying any of it is any good (most of it is terrible) but US rappers have definitely embraced UK grime. And look at Trap, arguably the most popular genre in the US for the past few years - it’s pretty much grime / dubstep beats adapted to a slightly more mainstream audience. Then look at all the soundcloud rappers, all that mumble rap stuff, it’s connected to both UK grime and US rap. 

It’s far from a UK only thing - that was true maybe 10 years ago, but these days it’s way beyond that.

I think there’s an element of ‘showing our age’ in threads like this - we are essentially a bunch of middle aged men talking about a genre of music which is created by 23 year olds to appeal to people between 12-25. It’s kids music, it’s not really meant for us. Plus if I was a 25 year old rapper, I definitely wouldn’t want a bunch of 45yr old men listening to my music.

It might be quite a big deal in US rap circles but with respect to the US mainstream it's not a big deal  at all as RIAA stats show. 

2 hours ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Again, don’t know if it fits the genre, but I like this....

2 hours ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

This was one of songs I was sent. I have no idea which sub-genre it sits in. I was told grime, but you may tell me otherwise.

Really well put together I think....

I don’t know what you’d call those first two, but I wouldn’t call them grime. Grime is more like UK council estate gangsta rap with atonal metal riffs played on a Bontempi organ.

Edited by dannybuoy
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, YouMa said:

Sick of hearing rappers whinge constantly. Just like I'm sick of hearing "young people" whinge. If you don't like it here sod off to somewhere else and whinge there otherwise deal with it.

Haha, yeah. By contrast, "old people" never whinge. Nope. Not known for it in the slightest. Never happens.

"Hi Roger! How's your mood today? Oh..."

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRRzozDJf31KZNDHNenSCO

“Hey Steven! What's that? You’d like to say something about meat-eating and contemporary politics? Oh. Oh dear..."

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcThVr7LdBbWISZyoF0Viiy

"Well, perhaps if you don't like it here you could both sod off to somewhere else and whinge there. Otherwise deal with it. Okay?" 

...yeah I really don't think young people have a monopoly on moaning in the music industry 😉

Edited by Skol303
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, YouMa said:

Sick of hearing rappers whinge constantly. Just like I'm sick of hearing "young people" whinge. If you don't like it here sod off to somewhere else and whinge there otherwise deal with it.

Hope you don't mind, I took a little photo of you while you were typing that.

_40706427_keyboard203.jpg

• Haha 4

On 30/06/2019 at 15:51, bubinga5 said:

Oh dear where do I start. I love HipHop, old/new/ gangster/funky/alternative /skate. Herbaliser, GangStarr, DJ Premier. Jurassic5  east coast, west coast, south north, Euro Rap.   really interesting samples, scratching, amazing subject matter etc etc...  But Grime. Its like they have got a Casio keyboard and a drum machine and then rapped over it.Its sooooo boring. Is Grime a UK thing.? I hear Capital One at work and its literally all they play. I feel like smashing the radio with a claw hammer after 3 hours of it. 

I don’t know if it’s a sign I’m getting old, or I should get out more, but apart from hip hop I have no idea what any of those are 😆

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, YouMa said:

Yes hungover,but let's be honest here the basis of most British rap music is whinging about social injustices.

LIkewise the basis of most British acoustic guitar singer songwriter music is whinging about feeling fragile and broken and hurt and terrified. The reason for this widespread spinelessness is not that the artistes in question are feeling fragile and broken and hurt and terrified. Not a bit of it. Exactly like their pop forerunners the stars of today are bathing in cash, driving expensive cars, snorking cocaine by the kilo and slipping the brisket to anything with a pulse.

The difference is that their fans are not bathing in cash, driving expensive cars, snorking cocaine by the kilo or slipping the brisket to anything with a pulse. Their fans feel fragile and broken and hurt and terrified and are buying music to reflect their mood.

Do these fans feel fragile and broken and hurt and terrified because they are not driving expensive cars, snorking cocaine by the kilo and slipping the brisket to anything with a pulse? Or is it because they are genuinely fragile and broken and hurt and terrified?

And if the fans of British acoustic guitar singer songwriter music genuinely are fragile and broken and hurt and terrified is it because they have been taught to feel this way by a generation of howling pinko social workers, commie educators and loathsome 'journalists'? Or are they fragile and broken and hurt and terrified because they are in a sense cut from shoddier cloth than those who came before. And would repeated listening to The Immigrant Song or Ace of Spades or The End put some much-needed iron in their souls?

I do not know but I think we should be told.

Edited by skankdelvar
  • Like 2

I’m down with the kids so I was going to respond with “word” and a couple of little fist-bumpy icons.

But the nice man from the broadband people didn’t show me where the little emoji-ma-flips live so you’ll have to make do with a “well said, sir” instead.

Searing analysis as ever, Mr D.

Oh, and isn’t Flash tough on grime?

Edited by Skinnyman
  • Haha 1

I couldn't listen to too much Grime but then it's not aimed at me (old bloke). But I can appreciate how it appeals to "the kids". There was a great article in The Guardian the other day about Fight The Power by Public Enemy (30 years ago) and I remembered how it sounded to me at the time but I'm sure it sounded pretty discordant and noisy to a lot of middle-aged people. I think it's also worth making a distinction between music that has a bit of actual creativity to it, versus the safer, blander stuff that you get in all genres. The Grime that I've heard does seem to have something new (sonically at least - I don't really listen to lyrics). 

In general, I'd rather live in a world where people are creating new types of music even if I personally don't listen to them :)

• Like 5

2 hours ago, dannybuoy said:

You certainly are, and one of the best UK rappers to boot!

Hahaha!

That man is an imposter!

I am Skinnyman (and so is my wife!).

weirdly, it does look as if they filmed it outside our house....