Why become a member? ×

Grime.

bubinga5

Oh dear where do I start. I love HipHop, old/new/ gangster/funky/alternative /skate. Herbaliser, GangStarr, DJ Premier. Jurassic5  east coast, west coast, south north, Euro Rap.   really interesting samples, scratching, amazing subject matter etc etc...  But Grime. Its like they have got a Casio keyboard and a drum machine and then rapped over it.Its sooooo boring. Is Grime a UK thing.? I hear Capital One at work and its literally all they play. I feel like smashing the radio with a claw hammer after 3 hours of it. 

Edited by bubinga5
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, bubinga5 said:

Oh dear where do I start. I love HipHop, old/new/ gangster/funky/alternative /skate. Herbaliser, GangStarr, DJ Premier. Jurassic5  east coast, west coast, south north, Euro Rap.   really interesting samples, scratching, amazing subject matter etc etc...  But Grime. Its like they have got a Casio keyboard and a drum machine and then rapped over it.Its sooooo boring. Is Grime a UK thing.? I hear Capital One at work and its literally all they play. I feel like smashing the radio with a claw hammer after 3 hours of it. 

I think you are just not ready for it yet , neither am I. 😊

Ditto my own appreciation of grime.

I love 80/90s hip hop, jungle, drum’n’bass... and I’ve tried my best to like grime, I really have. But it does nothing for me. Just dull.

But that undoubtedly a good thing. I’m a middle-aged dude (45 years) and I’d be sorely disappointed in the youth of today if their music wasn’t incomprehensible to the likes of me; just as “my” music was to the generation above me, back in my day.

So all is as it should be. The balance of the universe in harmony 🙂

Edited by Skol303
  • Like 4

It’s like literally any other musical genre, 98% is trash. Whatever genre you’re into, I guarantee that almost all of it is unlistenable garbage. 80s funk? Almost all terrible. Jazz? Most of it is just a bunch of weird men showing off. Metal? Tragic fat men with small penîses and poodle hair. Etc etc. Doesn’t mean any of those genres are terrible, it just means you need to dig a little deeper to find the treasure, and be a bit less judgemental. In any genre, it’s the remaining few gems that are the genre-defining works of art. 

Although I must admit you’ve got me on happy hardcore, that has no redeeming features at all. (However early 90s pre-jungle, original hardcore kicks butt, I won’t have a word said against it).

Here’s a good current grime tune, check this: 

2 hours ago, Skol303 said:

Ditto my own appreciation of grime.

I love 80/90s hip hop, jungle, drum’n’bass... and I’ve tried my best to like grime, I really have. But it does nothing for me. Just dull.

But that undoubtedly a good thing. I’m a middle-aged dude (45 years) 

45 , you are just a wee bairn :lol:

happy hardcore , is that like hardcore with a happy ending B| 

My only deep sorrow is the unrelenting insistence of recording and motion picture companies upon purveying the most brutal, ugly, degenerate, vicious form of expression it has been my displeasure to hear—naturally I refer to the bulk of grime*.

It fosters almost totally negative and destructive reactions in young people. It smells phony and false. It is sung, played and written for the most part by cretinous goons and by means of its almost imbecilic reiterations and sly, lewd—in plain fact dirty—lyrics, and as I said before, it manages to be the martial music of every sideburned delinquent on the face of the earth.

*(changed from rock 'n' roll as it appeared in the original Frank Sinatra disquisition upon the evils of Elvis and his co-conspirators)

• Like 5

37 minutes ago, Barking Spiders said:

On the plus side the Americans are having to the good sense to ignore it like they tend to do with all lame attempts by Brits to come up with their own take on rap. Grime doesn't seem to be be troubling anywhere else outside of UK cities.

Not true, grime is huge these days, it’s very popular in the USA. Drake is putting music out on Skepta’s label, Stomzy is hanging out with Jay-z, Dizzee is doing stuff with US rappers - not saying any of it is any good (most of it is terrible) but US rappers have definitely embraced UK grime. And look at Trap, arguably the most popular genre in the US for the past few years - it’s pretty much grime / dubstep beats adapted to a slightly more mainstream audience. Then look at all the soundcloud rappers, all that mumble rap stuff, it’s connected to both UK grime and US rap. 

It’s far from a UK only thing - that was true maybe 10 years ago, but these days it’s way beyond that.

I think there’s an element of ‘showing our age’ in threads like this - we are essentially a bunch of middle aged men talking about a genre of music which is created by 23 year olds to appeal to people between 12-25. It’s kids music, it’s not really meant for us. Plus if I was a 25 year old rapper, I definitely wouldn’t want a bunch of 45yr old men listening to my music.

• Like 1

I'm with skankdelvar on this one. As the genius who penned that wonderful reply to the Join my Band ad (which was featured on here recently) said, virtually all this stuff is pushed by cynical white guys in boardrooms on insecure gullible young male punters who are desperate to look cool and tough.

3 hours ago, project_c said:

I think there’s an element of ‘showing our age’ in threads like this - we are essentially a bunch of middle aged men talking about a genre of music which is created by 23 year olds to appeal to people between 12-25. It’s kids music, it’s not really meant for us.

^ This.

2 hours ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

If you mean by showing my age in that I can tell the difference between quality music and talentless drivel, then yes, I guess I am showing my age. It’s a fad. It won’t stand the test of time.

Grime is essentially a UK spin on hip hop, which has itself been around since the mid-'70s and now outsells rock music. So respectfully, I'd say it's a little naive to say it "won't stand the test of time".

People said precisely the same about house music, drum'n'bass, dubstep, UK garage... all of those genres are now pretty much geriatric in terms of their lifespan, but they're still very much pulling kids into clubs.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

If you mean by showing my age in that I can tell the difference between quality music and talentless drivel, then yes, I guess I am showing my age. It’s a fad. It won’t stand the test of time.

That's exactly what old men of each era said about the Beatles, Jazz, Rock & Roll, Punk, Metal, Grunge, House Music, Hip Hop, Techno etc. All fads that won't stand the test of time. People said jazz was primitive 'jungle music' for degenerates. (Pretty sure that was a German Nazi party line actually). People said the blues was the devil's music, and a guitar was the "devil's plaything".

It's just us getting old. Enjoy the music that you're lucky enough to have lived through, and enjoy the fact that 12 year olds have invented their own way to be musically creative. If they were copying whatever music your generation listens to, you'd probably be more annoyed by that.

• Like 2

Sick of hearing rappers whinge constantly. Just like I'm sick of hearing "young people" whinge. If you don't like it here sod off to somewhere else and whinge there otherwise deal with it.

Edited by YouMa

16 minutes ago, YouMa said:

Sick of hearing rappers whinge constantly. Just like I'm sick of hearing "young people" whinge. If you don't like it here sod off to somewhere else and whinge there otherwise deal with it.

I'm sure we'd never catch you whinging about anything...