Why become a member? ×

Avoiding sweaty hands when gigging!!

crazydancer

4 hours ago, NikNik said:

Just what you need to use in your Van Morrison-inspired off-stage tent to wipe your sweat-stained crotch.

And I have it on very good authority that this occurred, somewhere in South America. Except not with the Bass towel!!! 🤣😉

Here's a funny thing... You say your palms sweat... the palms of our hands only sweat when we are under stress, not when we are hot. It's thought that it improves our grip a little - useful in most stressful situations but not if it makes you fingers stick to the strings...

But i'm all for rock-star sweat bands, check this groovy one out 🙂 Mostly these days because they reduce my risk of RSI from my wrist rubbing the body of the guitar!

image.png.d9776b50a72ee4e33ff11a8e06f0a6e4.png

On 30/06/2019 at 12:07, gary mac said:

These days I don't often suffer the sweaty hand thing but have done in the past. Baby talc rubbed liberally over my sweaty mitts helped. 

WHAT??? I must admit to never having used, or even considered, using baby talc to combat sweaty paws. That seems like a recipe for disaster! Aside from the gloopy mess on your hands and strings that I imagine would result... what about the mess it would make of your stage attire (which, in my case, is predominantly dark colours) :/.

If you suffer from really sweaty hands, then just have a small towel on stage, and wipe between songs. Although, I find a little lubrication (in my case from forehead) is beneficial, particularly on a newly strung bass.

On the talc subject, as my hands were just 'clammy/nervous' and not 'rock-star dripping' then it worked well, just a sprinkle and wiped over fingers. Silky dry hands......

If you are going to get rock-star sweaty then I guess you just embrace it and keep everything lubricated.

It's the 'sticky' stage between the two that's problematic!