Why become a member? ×

Avoiding sweaty hands when gigging!!

crazydancer

I'll start with the usual 'I'm very much a beginner' disclaimer.... We rehearse in a nice, usually air-conditioned room (although it broke down on Friday .... not good) and have played a handful of gigs. The last time it was very warm, and combined with nerves, I had sweaty hands, which led to 'sticking' on the strings with my plucking hand. That affected the sound, and by the end I'd build up some nice blisters as well. 

Any suggestions on what might help please? 

Thanks!

Good advice re the wristbands, reckon I'll try those too

I carry a little clip-on mains powered fan in my gig-bag for those really sweaty gigs - there's usually something handy to clip it onto - and also tend to use coated strings these days (DR Black Beauties)

1 hour ago, Shaggy said:

Good advice re the wristbands, reckon I'll try those too

I carry a little clip-on mains powered fan in my gig-bag for those really sweaty gigs - there's usually something handy to clip it onto - and also tend to use coated strings these days (DR Black Beauties)

I've been carrying a fan to gigs for a good number of years. I clip mine onto the handle of my K12.2 on the floor so that the pickups don't pick up the moving air from the fan which can happen if it's too close 

LOL I'm thinking the headband might not really be my 'look' but can rock the wristband!! Thanks, that will help to mop the forehead as well if it's warm (which I'm thinking in a small pub this evening it will be VERY warm!!).

I'll need the talc too, it's a bit more that my hands get 'sticky' rather than trickly sweat. I think we have some fans coming with the gear tonight too, although mainly for our drummer as she's type 1 diabetic with some other health challenges so our first concern is keeping her cool. 

1 hour ago, Roger2611 said:

I use a small squirt of silicon spray on to a cloth and then a quick wipe of the back of the neck before I go on stage, it certainly worked yesterday!

I think it can be an irritant.

9 hours ago, crazydancer said:

...last time it was very warm, and combined with nerves, I had sweaty hands, which led to 'sticking' on the strings

Stages can be hot under the lights, but there's a difference between sweat running down to your hands (which sweatbands help), and just general sweaty palms - which is usually nerves..  

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

I’ve got some nice Nike ones that have lasted 10 years so far.

i bet I spent less than you did over that time.

Maybe, I’ve only been using them for a few weeks. To me, at £1 for five pairs they’re just a consumable, like strings or picks. 

Perhaps I’ll invest in a better quality, longer lasting pair.

7 hours ago, TheGreek said:

What ever happened to the good ole bar towel left on your stand/amp???

Still using one I liberated from a pub years ago, it says "Great stuff this BASS" on it. 

That'll teach me to post without reading to the end as @The Greek has posted my very towel. 

Edited by Maude

LOL well thanks for all the helpful hints!! The gig went really well, I took a small 'travel size' baby talc and dusted my hands from time to time and that worked well. Also wrapped a 'buff' round my forearm which stopped that sticking to the body. Still buzzing......  :D :D 

• Like 1