Why become a member? ×

Playing different music to what you normally would

Reggaebass

21 hours ago, Ricky 4000 said:

Sounds like the band need a kick up the 'arris. Except you Teebs, of course.

Plus, I once got torn to pieces on here for suggesting Psycho Killer should be played using the open strings as Tina W does, so I'm not going there again. :ph34r:

It's quite funny looking at Within You Without you on UG to see how earnestly people defend their fingering as being 'how Adam Clayton' does it because they can 'tell by the sound'. I notice that on the live at BBC video he plays it a semitone down and uses both the A and E strings (and looks completely bored).

And that's probably one of the simplest basslines of all time...

22 hours ago, Teebs said:

I suggested to my covers band that we might try playing the songs the same as the original versions.

No success.

:(

Good covers need to be either pretty close to the original, at least in feel but better in actual notes and arrangement.

Or the band needs to successfully rearrange the whole song into a completely new and musically interesting version.

Either way, talent and playing for the song not for oneself are required.

IMHO of course.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

I’ve tried a few times to play this  but I’m struggling a bit as I can quite work out the notes, I think there’s lots of ghost notes in there, I’ve been through some YT videos but none sound quite right to me and lots of tabs are saying different things, if anyone can point me to a decent video or tab It would be muchos appreciated 

I checked to see if our @Bilbo had done this one but dont see it.

There was someone else on BC that was doing VIDS with music tabs i saw their post recently might have done this one.

I'll see if i can find his post. I did comment on it as it looked good. Its a youtube channel if i remember right.

Dave

Sorry @Reggaebass couldn't find it but did a search and found this bass TAB that might help.

I did find a few VIDS on youtube without bass tabs that showed how they play it that might help.

Foreigner-i-want-to-know-what-love-is.pdf

Edited by dmccombe7
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

I checked to see if our @Bilbo had done this one but dont see it.

There was someone else on BC that was doing VIDS with music tabs i saw their post recently might have done this one.

I'll see if i can find his post. I did comment on it as it looked good. Its a youtube channel if i remember right.

Dave

Thanks Dave 👍

1 hour ago, dmccombe7 said:

Sorry @Reggaebass couldn't find it but did a search and found this bass TAB that might help.

I did find a few VIDS on youtube without bass tabs that showed how they play it that might help.

Foreigner-i-want-to-know-what-love-is.pdf 119.3 kB · 1 download

Just noticed you added this, that’s great Dave, top man thanks 👌

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

Just noticed you added this, that’s great Dave, top man thanks 👌

The guy does have a vid on youtube but not the smoothest of players IMHO. I got the impression he wasn't comfortable with some of the changes soi didn't include the vid. Plenty of good ones on Youube tho.

Dave

• Thanks 1

On 27/06/2022 at 10:30, Reggaebass said:

I’ve tried a few times to play this  but I’m struggling a bit as I can quite work out the notes, I think there’s lots of ghost notes in there, I’ve been through some YT videos but none sound quite right to me and lots of tabs are saying different things, if anyone can point me to a decent video or tab It would be muchos appreciated 

I have knocked this one up if you want to have a look at it. Much more interesting than I thought it would be. If anyone wants to redo this as a tab chart, be my guest.

https://bilbosbassbites.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2022/06/I-Wanna-Know-What-Love-Is-Rick-Will-Bass.pdf

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Bilbo said:

I have knocked this one up if you want to have a look at it. Much more interesting than I thought it would be. If anyone wants to redo this as a tab chart, be my guest.

https://bilbosbassbites.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2022/06/I-Wanna-Know-What-Love-Is-Rick-Will-Bass.pdf

Many thanks bilbo, much appreciated 👍

On 27/06/2022 at 10:30, Reggaebass said:

I haven’t checked it out yet but apparently at 5.09 on this it’s the isolated Bassline