Why become a member? ×

Playing different music to what you normally would

Reggaebass

On 02/05/2020 at 10:15, JottoSW1 said:

Thanks to Kiesel FB page have been getting into a startlingly good Country/Chickenpickin' Guitarist called Johnny Hiland. Sweep picking with additional fingernails and loads of Ghost Notes. Not my usual Genre at all but he's a Phenom for sure.

I also play guitar, being most partial to the Telecaster chickin' pickin style. Johnny Hiland is indeed a fine player. If you like his stuff I also recommend Albert Lee, Brent Mason, Brad Paisley, Vince Gil, Danny Gatton and The Hellecasters

• Like 2

• 6 months later...
20 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

It’s been a while since I played something different and I heard this during the week, quite a nice Bassline , it doesn’t look too difficult and there’s a few nice runs 🙂this guy does some nice covers 

Love that song and bassline. One of my favourite EJ songs just for the bass.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, casapete said:

IIRC the bass on the EJ original was played by David Paton (ex 70’s band Pilot).

Even better. Like Dave Paton and getting the best of Pilot as a wee Xmas pressie from my wife.

Until recently i wasn't aware Dave Paton played with Elton John. 

Dave

• Like 2

• 10 months later...
36 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

Thread resurrection, I’ve just heard this for the first time in a film, i like the Bassline, and it’s got a good rhythm, doesn’t sound too difficult 

We covered this years ago. Great song.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

like the Bassline, and it’s got a good rhythm, doesn’t sound too difficult 

You should have a good listen to some talking heads tracks. 

Tina Weymouth is a monster player. Their tracks have incredible groove and the interplay with the drums is what makes it more complicated than it initially sounds. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, TimR said:

What do they change?

- The key - this I can accept, as it's usually (not always though) to suit the singer;

- Often the structure;

- The intonation - I learn the song from the recording, play it in rehearsal as per the original, but it doesn't fit due to drummer excessive fills / wrong accents, guitar strumming patterns etc.

The real reason is that they don't listen to the original songs, and we don't practice enough to do our own versions of the songs competently.

:(

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Teebs said:

we don't practice enough to do our own versions of the songs competently.

Yes. Sounds to me though that the rest of the band don't have very good ears. Especially if the drummer is playing inappropriate fills. They're probably more interested in what they're playing individually than fitting in with the rest of the band. 

• Like 1

Our singer had to leave in 2019. We had been playing classic 'Dad Rock', David Bowie, Rolling Stones, Led Zepplin, Jimi Hendrix etc. 

We now have a girl singer who is around 20 years younger than us. Gone are all the old songs that no one danced to, we have learned (with a lot of leaning persuasion on the guitarist) a load of tracks by Pink and similar artists. They're fun and take quite a bit of arrangement to make sound good on Guitar and Bass. Lots of the tracks are keyboard and strings heavy on the originals. 

We have a younger audience now who get up and dance and gigs are falling into our laps, and the music isn't that hard to play, just takes some work to arrange them. It makes a change.

• Like 6

21 minutes ago, Ricky 4000 said:

Plus, I once got torn to pieces on here for suggesting Psycho Killer should be played using the open strings as Tina W does, so I'm not going there again. :ph34r:

Is that because you possess massive & unwieldy thumbs?

Finx.gif.38e5a959284efcdb0f75de29e61f08b8.gif

• Haha 2