Why become a member? ×

Playing different music to what you normally would

Reggaebass

• 2 weeks later...

I’m still working my way through, watching the detectives on and off , (in between brushing up on some tunes for a upcoming reggae party, ) and really enjoying it, and I also want to give this a try,   I’m guessing it’s in  D , so do I detune my E to D or would I be better using my 5 string , cheers and Happy new year 🙂

Just now, Reggaebass said:

I’m still working my way through, watching the detectives on and off , (in between brushing up on some tunes for a upcoming reggae party, ) and really enjoying it, and I also want to give this a try,   I’m guessing it’s in  D , so do I detune my E to D or would I be better using my 5 string , cheers and Happy new year 🙂

I play that one. It is a noticable one for me as I sing, play bass and do the synth part with my footpedals in the guitar solo. I did mess myself up by having a 4 string in my hand when it started!

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

It’s been a while since I played anything apart from reggae and dub,  and I heard this on the radio and liked the rhythm, so I thought I might give it a go today, I found this cover by Constantine  , it doesn’t look too difficult, but I’ll find out 🙂

• Like 1

We were an eclectic cover band. We played just about every style going apart from jazz. We even delved into Scottish traditional which is harder than it sounds if you don't know the songs back to front. I think my most enjoyable would indeed be reggae as the bass is the forefront.

• Like 2

Just now, Reggaebass said:

Hi ubit, I used to play a lot of blues, but the jazz thing doesn’t appeal to me, I like the idea of Scottish traditional, would you have an example of something to try 🙂

Mate, there are so many but a "strip the willow" is great fun. Dead easy to play but the reaction from the audience/dancers is well worth it.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, ubit said:

Mate, there are so many but a "strip the willow" is great fun. Dead easy to play but the reaction from the audience/dancers is well worth it.

Loving that 👍. I like this one 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

It’s been a while since I played anything apart from reggae and dub,  and I heard this on the radio and liked the rhythm, so I thought I might give it a go today, I found this cover by Constantine  , it doesn’t look too difficult, but I’ll find out 🙂

If you are used to Reggae it won’t be hard. I love Nirvana but some of the bass lines are a bit tedious, come as you are is my favourite.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

Thanks very much Jotto, I’ll have a look 👍, I’m really enjoying these different genres 

Thanks to Kiesel FB page have been getting into a startlingly good Country/Chickenpickin' Guitarist called Johnny Hiland. Sweep picking with additional fingernails and loads of Ghost Notes. Not my usual Genre at all but he's a Phenom for sure.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, T-Bay said:

If you are used to Reggae it won’t be hard. I love Nirvana but some of the bass lines are a bit tedious, come as you are is my favourite.

The other one i quite like is ,  smells like teen spirit. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Reggaebass said:

I like many of Krist Novoselic's basslines, even simple ones tend not to be cliched. We do In Bloom and that's fun to play and challenging to get teh right feel, you need to be 100% locked in with the drummer.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Stub Mandrel said:

I like many of Krist Novoselic's basslines, even simple ones tend not to be cliched. We do In Bloom and that's fun to play and challenging to get teh right feel, you need to be 100% locked in with the drummer.

Dave Grohl was very solid.

Just now, Stub Mandrel said:

Couldn't  agree more Stub, many "simple" bass lines are what makes a song so good.

20 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

Is that who the bass player is in that video 

No, Ashley Hutchings is Fairport, Albion Band, Steeleye Span etc. Pretty much set the mould for traditional UK folk-rock bass if Dave Pegg set that for bass as a melodic instrument in folk rock.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Stub Mandrel said:

No, Ashley Hutchings is Fairport, Albion Band, Steeleye Span etc. Pretty much set the mould for traditional UK folk-rock bass if Dave Pegg set that for bass as a melodic instrument in folk rock.

Thanks stub 👍

• 3 weeks later...