Why become a member? ×

Playing different music to what you normally would

Reggaebass

28 minutes ago, DaveFry said:

Just in case anyone doesn't know who the singing bass player in Poco was , he was the man who , when Carvin wanted to make a signature bass for him , he asked that it should only have the one control knob , a volume control .

And , back on topic , give Santana;s Flor De Luna track a listen , particularly the coda (3:47) where the bass does that typically Latin thing of pushing the track along by anticipating the one of the bar by playing on the four and the four and of the previous bar . So simple , but it rolls along .

That is superb Dave , I’ve heard it before but I don’t know where 🙂

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Reggaebass said:

I heard this today, it couldn’t be farther away from what I play , but I love the Bassline, it really drives the song along, i used to play blues but I’ve never tried country,      I’m adding it to my list 😁

Edited by Kawarthabass
duplicate comment
  • Like 1

On 03/07/2019 at 08:48, Monkey Steve said:

because white men playing reggae badly is one of the worst musical crimes on the planet

You beat me to it. 

I joined a band that had some Bob Marley in the setlist. I found some MP3s to download and set about learning them. Reggae is one of the hardest genres to learn. All those swung 8th/ triplet feel fills and syncopation. Thought I had nailed the tunes quite well, until I turned up ready to play them only to find the rest of the band couldn’t get the feel at all. 

• Like 1

Usually play old covers, and modern Christian songs in the church band, but have played a couple of times in a ceilidh band.

One occasion was at a wedding where the bride was from Japan,, and all the calls had to be repeated in Japanese....

• Like 1

Sometimes I like playing a bassline in a different style to how it was originally, typically playing around with the rhythm, syncopating or funking up a relatively simple line is a good fun.

A nice example of someone doing something similar is how Clapton changed the rhythm of Layla for his unplugged version to give it a 'rolling along' feel.

• Like 1

On 01/07/2019 at 13:44, Teebs said:

The open mic at my local is a bit chaotic at the moment, with people with all different tastes in music wanting to play. As a result, I've told them I'll learn anything as long as they tell me in advance, and it's working quite well so far & I'm listening to & learning all sorts of music.

Update: I am now running the open mic night along with a drummer, and things are progressing, but not how I expected! :o

There's varied mix of ages and tastes in the bar, as a result I'm always on my toes as to what we'll end up playing.

For example, Sunday night included songs by:

Adele, Neil Young, UB40, Christy Moore, Belinda Carlisle, The Levellers, Nirvana, Bob Dylan, Texas, John Holt, Bruce Springsteen, The Pogues, Elvis Presley, Fats Domino The Stone Roses, Bob Marley and a few original songs.

It's a very good way for me to discover music I wouldn't previously have countenanced, and learn new styles and meet (some) interesting people.

Fab thread @Reggaebass :)

*ps I have banned capos from the building :)

Edited by Teebs
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Couple of yrs ago i was asked to join a band doing blues / funk style rock and i told them up front its a style haven't done before but went to the audition and got the job. I subsequently found i really enjoyed doing Doobie Brothers, Tony Joe White, Robert Cray, Little Feat and even John Mayall. 

Some of them were quite challenging but not so much technically but getting the feel for the song was what i found hardest part.

Thoroughly enjoyed it tho.

Dave

• Like 2

Coming from a metal, prog and grunge background, I joined a rock and roll band 5 years ago.  Did 3 stints with them over 2 years, I quite enjoyed it and learned some stuff.  However, the whole 12 bar thing started to annoy me after a while so I moved on.

• Like 1

I'm still very much learning having converted from guitar.  I'm a dyed in the wool a rocker, from AOR through prog and hard rock and nibbling into heavy metal in my tastes, particularly earlier HM.  However, some of the scales I've been practicing have had me tapping out some classic 50s-60s rock n roll bass lines this last week, over and over, consolidating my skills.  If Mrs Bassfinger hears me play Rock Around The Clock again I'm liable to end up in hospital having a bass guitar removed from my skull.

• Like 1

I believe in a thing called love - I despise the Darkness, it’s utter rubbish so imagine my ‘joy’ at it being asked for a mates wedding we are doing. Turns out it’s actually ok to play, has quite a nice feel to it (but two weeks yesterday will still be the one and only time I play it in front of anyone other than the band)

• Like 1

My main calling is rock, across a fairly broad spectrum. However, I've done quite a few years in a ceilidh band (I still do a barn dance once a year with an ever-varying scratch band which I just turn up and play with), and my current main band is a rather eclectic covers band doing a wide variety of 80s (new romantic, punk, ska, reggae) which not only would I normally play, I wouldn't normally listen to it either. It's fun and we entertain - it's always nice to see a positive reaction.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, tauzero said:

My main calling is rock, across a fairly broad spectrum. However, I've done quite a few years in a ceilidh band (I still do a barn dance once a year with an ever-varying scratch band which I just turn up and play with), and my current main band is a rather eclectic covers band doing a wide variety of 80s (new romantic, punk, ska, reggae) which not only would I normally play, I wouldn't normally listen to it either. It's fun and we entertain - it's always nice to see a positive reaction.

That’s a nice wide range of music you play there tauzero, and the barn dance sounds especially fun 🙂

5 hours ago, Reggaebass said:

That’s a nice wide range of music you play there tauzero, and the barn dance sounds especially fun 🙂

Barn dances are great fun, especially if the audience doesn't what they're doing- you just stand there whilst the caller teaches them! If you do one on guitar your brain will become addled by every conceivable combination of D, G and A when a Bm comes along ITS THE HARDEST CHORD IN THE WORLD!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 5 weeks later...

Played various styles of reggae for many years. Then ended up playing soul covers in a functions band several years ago. But two years ago got asked to play with a 90's Grunge outfit (distorted guitarses are still too loud!) - was a total new experience discovering mid range frequencies in Grungey rock, prefer dub. Last week the reggae guys talked about reforming (covers) which is exciting...Natty Dreadlocks will be at the dinner table 😉. Yet in between recent jams I've been gigging Madonna, B52's etc with a Ukulele band...it's all a bit eclectic these days.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Raslee said:

Last week the reggae guys talked about reforming (covers) which is exciting

That sounds great Raslee, keep us posted on how it goes ☝️.  I’ve always played reggae and dub since I was 15 , I’m 55 now and still love it , but I think I need to broaden my music a bit 🙂

• 4 weeks later...

I happened to hear this a while ago,  I remembered  it was out when I was 14 in about 1978 ,and I liked it then,   I’ve never played it before, so I’m looking forward to nailing this one , listening to it, it seems fairly straightforward, it’s such a great tune and a nice heavy Bassline which I like .   Are any of his others anything like this 🙂