Why become a member? ×

In Search Of New Music

Skybone

Bit of a rant, sorry, but also a bit of a "recommend something new for me to check out"...

Out of curiosity (and a free 90 day offer), I signed up to the Amazon Music, in the hope of discovering some new bands and some interesting music.

I like my classic rock & metal, as well as some other stuff, but I have to be in the mood. Listening to a lot of Rush, Voivod, Mastodon, Killing Joke etc. so a bit proggy, a bit angry, but a lot of just well put together music. Been listening to a bit of Tool recently as well (well, Aenima & Lateralus).

Tried listening to the "Progressive Metal" stream on Amazon, I think I've skipped pretty much every track that's come on so far. Either it's been way too noodly, "symphonic" (intense, beardy bloke with lots of keyboards), "Djent" (staccato, palm muted rhythms anyone?), or some "sultry" female vocalist (absolutely nothing against female vocals, but there's only so many "sultry" vocalists, singing over downtuned guitars & "symphonic" keyboards you can listen to before wanting to hold your head in your hands and weep for the state your sanity).

Tried the "Rock" stream, & there's too much mainstream stuff that's been played to death. The "Progressive Rock" stream is classic Prog Rock, no new bands. The "Metal" stream is either shouty, staccato palm mutes, "sultry" female vocals, "symphonic" keyboards, noodly rowlocks, or a mix of all of the above. The "Indie" stream also conforms to all of the ideas that you might have about the genre.

I know I'm getting old, no spring chicken etc., etc., but when did music start playing to it's "genre stereotype"? When did forward thinking musicians stop taking influences from all over the place, and add it into their music?

Thanks for watching. :D 

• Like 1

I've always liked bands that are pretty eclectic but it can be counterproductive to be like this so many listeners seem to cherrypick a few tunes but never buy a whole album. Take Faith No More. Hardcore rockers may hate their cover of Easy while people who like it probably hate Ugly In The Morning.  And groups who are cross/multi cultural in their influences like Transglobal Underground or Afro Celt Sound Systems have never bothered the charts or got daytime airplay. With predictability you get reliability which is why AC/DC an Status Quo are household names and those others are not.

Could be worth giving Spotify a look. They have some useful features (such as artist radio and user playlists) as well as the usual genres and "moods". 

Artist radio is great if you have a fav band as it will play songs by similar artists (Eg brand new heavies, incognito, jamiroqui etc). I've found new (to me) bands this way. 

User playlists are great too as tend to be more taste based (as opposed to genre), so a funk and soul play list can throw up loads of new bands never heard before which may be outside the classic definition of the genre (as per @barking spiders example with FNM). Once you've found a new band you like, the artist radio can then open up another load of bands to explore. 

Another option is dab radio. Since I got my new car I listen to a few channels which are much more genre specific, such as MiSoul, which has introduced me to new music. 

Edited by DoubleOhStephan
  • Like 1

@Graham will have to check out both of them. If Mr DiGiorgio is involved, it should guarantee a certain amount of low end interest and very interesting bass lines.

@hiram.k.hackenbacker, watched the vid from that other thread, maybe track some more tracks down & give them a more in depth listen.

Edited by Skybone
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Skybone said:

@Graham will have to check out both of them. If Mr DiGiorgio is involved, it should guarantee a certain amount of low end interest and very interesting bass lines.

@hiram.k.hackenbacker, watched the vid from that other thread, maybe track some more tracks down & give them a more in depth listen.

DiGiorgio only played on the first Soen record, which is this one

The guy they have now is extremely good, and has some great Sandberg tones, but lacks the fretless loveliness of this album.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest oZZma
On 30/06/2019 at 11:28, Skybone said:

Bit of a rant, sorry, but also a bit of a "recommend something new for me to check out"...

Out of curiosity (and a free 90 day offer), I signed up to the Amazon Music, in the hope of discovering some new bands and some interesting music.

I like my classic rock & metal, as well as some other stuff, but I have to be in the mood. Listening to a lot of Rush, Voivod, Mastodon, Killing Joke etc. so a bit proggy, a bit angry, but a lot of just well put together music. Been listening to a bit of Tool recently as well (well, Aenima & Lateralus).

Tried listening to the "Progressive Metal" stream on Amazon, I think I've skipped pretty much every track that's come on so far. Either it's been way too noodly, "symphonic" (intense, beardy bloke with lots of keyboards), "Djent" (staccato, palm muted rhythms anyone?), or some "sultry" female vocalist (absolutely nothing against female vocals, but there's only so many "sultry" vocalists, singing over downtuned guitars & "symphonic" keyboards you can listen to before wanting to hold your head in your hands and weep for the state your sanity).

Tried the "Rock" stream, & there's too much mainstream stuff that's been played to death. The "Progressive Rock" stream is classic Prog Rock, no new bands. The "Metal" stream is either shouty, staccato palm mutes, "sultry" female vocals, "symphonic" keyboards, noodly rowlocks, or a mix of all of the above. The "Indie" stream also conforms to all of the ideas that you might have about the genre.

I know I'm getting old, no spring chicken etc., etc., but when did music start playing to it's "genre stereotype"? When did forward thinking musicians stop taking influences from all over the place, and add it into their music?

Thanks for watching. :D 

Amazon Music is not exactly the place where I'd go to "discover good new music".

I always maintain it's a shame that Last.FM has been gradually going the way of the dodo for the last few years. Spotify might be alright if you know what you want to listen to, but I remain unconvinced by its suggestions for new discoveries via algorithm. Last.FM, on the other hand, switched me on to at least two or three artists who I happily follow to this day.

On 30/06/2019 at 12:27, DoubleOhStephan said:

Could be worth giving Spotify a look. They have some useful features (such as artist radio and user playlists) as well as the usual genres and "moods". 

Artist radio is great if you have a fav band as it will play songs by similar artists (Eg brand new heavies, incognito, jamiroqui etc). I've found new (to me) bands this way. 

User playlists are great too as tend to be more taste based (as opposed to genre), so a funk and soul play list can throw up loads of new bands never heard before which may be outside the classic definition of the genre (as per @barking spiders example with FNM). Once you've found a new band you like, the artist radio can then open up another load of bands to explore. 

Another option is dab radio. Since I got my new car I listen to a few channels which are much more genre specific, such as MiSoul, which has introduced me to new music. 

I have found Spotify pretty good for this purpose.  Particularly if you find and artist you like and then click the link on their profile for other bands that people who like this band also listen to.  I've found quite a few new bands that I've liked from there.

Also if you like a load of artists they make playlists of other stuff you might be interested in based on that.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

typed in Clutch and all the bands I expected to come up, did appear. Orange Goblin, Corrosion of Conformity, Lionize, Kyuss, Monster Magnet...........and Dr.Hook - WTAF?

You mean Sexy Eyes, Sylvia's Mother, etc didn't provide a suitable interlude? Who'd have thunk it? 😅

So we can all agree that there is still good music being made, but nowadays it requires a little more digging through the formulaic poo.

Also suggest you check out Intronaut (fretless bass too) and Russian Circles (instrumental)

Quite liking them at the moment.

Edited by HazBeen

2 hours ago, HazBeen said:

So we can all agree that there is still good music being made, but nowadays it requires a little more digging through the formulaic poo.

Also suggest you check out Intronaut (fretless bass too) and Russian Circles (instrumental)

Quite liking them at the moment.

I'm looking forward to the new Russian Circles album, which is out next week

Their bassist, Brian Cook (who's had an amazing career) is well worth a follow if you're on Twitrer

Guest oZZma
On 29/07/2019 at 13:07, Teebs said:

That's brilliant! :)

yeah that algorhythm is really good. 

I have tried typing stuff and the suggestions are spot-on and there are also lesser known gems I hadn't already discovered.

A good alternative to RYM! 

Someone said about Last.FM going the way of the dodo. Not sure how. Still my main way of finding new stuff, much better than Spotify . Bandcamp is pretty good too. Of course perhaps the best way to find new stuff are festivals. Went to Download this year mainly to see Lamb of God, Slayer, Tool, Slipknot and Godsmack and came across Beartooth, Fever 333, Toska and Batushka for the first time. Great stuff

Don't forget Youtube can spoil you occasionally, I went on to watch fellow Welshists Dream State and it immediately threw The Blue Stones, Blacktop Mojo, The Amazons, Devilskin, Evergrey and the new Simon Mcbride EP at me all at once. 

How the hell Evergrey have never crossed my path before I'll never understand. Still, it gives me 10 albums to catch up on, I suppose!

Edited by Vinny

2 hours ago, BassTractor said:

That's you? him? 
Congrats! I've seen worse music-maps:

0f5HquP.png

I have nothing to really add to the map you've posted. If that's us, then good company.

We're definitely called Lutz - we only chose it because we couldn't find anyone else with the same name at the time. There's another (very recent) thread elsewhere on these hallowed boards covering the newer stuff we're in the process of unleashing - there's a Soundcloud link to a new track called Jonestown.

We're very close to finishing album/collection #2, but our producer/guitarist broke his left shoulder and upper arm in a motorbike vs. car accident two days ago, so things will stall for a few weeks unless I pick up guitar duties in post.

• Like 1