Why become a member? ×

Edinburgh and Glasgow

Lebowsky

Hi there, long time since I have posted something!

I will be moving to Edinburgh for a year in October, and before that will travel there as well in July. I was thinking of maybe buying a bass during the summer and leaving it there (will already have access to the flat). This would avoid having to bring a bass from Switzerland and then back, along with all the other luggage.

Any recommendation for instrument stores in Edinburgh and Glasgow? Especially some that might carry decent 2nd hand instruments?
Otherwise I might just haunt the classified section for a while ;)

Also, if you know of any good records shops in those cities, I'd love to get some addresses as well :)

Thanks!

There's also Red Dog Music, Scayles & Rimmers in Edinburgh (I think there's a Rimmers in Glasgow too).

For Glasgow, there's Kenny's Music near Central Station & in Merchant City/Trongate there's GuitarGuitar, Merchant City Music & Strung Out (which is mostly 2nd hand instruments).

4 minutes ago, xgsjx said:

There's also Red Dog Music, Scayles & Rimmers in Edinburgh (I think there's a Rimmers in Glasgow too).

For Glasgow, there's Kenny's Music near Central Station & in Merchant City/Trongate there's GuitarGuitar, Merchant City Music & Strung Out (which is mostly 2nd hand instruments).

Red Dog went bust, I heard.

21 hours ago, casapete said:

In Edinburgh, Duncanson and Edwards pawnbrokers on Queen Street often have a good selection of used instruments at fair prices.

They've still got that Adam Clayton Jazz when I walked past last week. Been there for months!

thanks for all the replies and tips so far, sorry I haven't been able to reply earlier, it's been a hectic week!

one more thing I just thought about: what would be the best way to find people to play with in Scotland? are there specialized ads website or so? or if you know some bands  who have a bassist with a broken wrist ;) Mainly in the heavy rock/noise/hardcore/post-rock/post-metal etc. genres

cheers!

• 3 months later...

Hey everyone! Just realized I didn't give feedback to your advice. I visited all music stores you guys listed during the summer, except the Guitar Guitar in Edinburgh because it wasn't really close to where I was. The Guitar Guitar in Glasgow has a huuuge bass department. Merchant City and CC Music had some nice instruments as well!

In the end, I ended doing my removal by truck, so I brought my own basses with. It was still cheaper this way than buying a new bass :) Just moved a week ago, loving the city so far!

Two more questions for you guys - whats the best classifieds website for general second hand equipment in the UK (music, but also computer gear, etc,)? ebay and gumtree? Any other to know about?

Also, what about new music on CD (no vinyl), any stores carrying them in Edinburgh? Or is FOPP the only one? All those I tried only had second hand albums. Mono in Glasgow of course, but I need the equivalent in Edinburgh ;)

(I wasn't able to visit the Record Shak, closed when I went by, or Vinyl Villains, wasn't on my itinerary last summer, haven't been able to go back since I arrived)

Edited by Lebowsky

3 hours ago, Crawford13 said:

There is a lot of good Facebook groups for finding people to play with, lots of bands in Glasgow / Edinburgh looking for bass players. If you PM me your Facebook username I am happy to invite you to the groups.

Damn, I'm not on facebook but I guess I might have to break with my ethics if it's to find people to play with! I'll let you know in pm once I'm setup, thanks!

4 minutes ago, Lebowsky said:

Damn, I'm not on facebook but I guess I might have to break with my ethics if it's to find people to play with! I'll let you know in pm once I'm setup, thanks!

Eurgh. I think I'd rather be bandless.

Good luck.

I'm actually a bit scared of playing here, Scottish lads are *good*

On 15/10/2019 at 22:49, jacko said:

There's an HMV in livingston still. About the only reason to visit though.

I think there's still an HMV at Ocean Terminal in Edinburgh, FOPP is probably the main stockist for CDs in the city though. There's also Coda Music at the top of the mound which does more Folk and Jazz.

Andy

Couple of other Glasgow shops (good for used vinyl, not sure on new/used CDs): Mixed Up Records on Otago Lane, near CC Music; Missing Records, under the rail bridge at Argyle Street station; Love Music, Dundas Street, not far from Missing; Oxfam, Byres Road is also good. 

For instruments, I don't think Jimmy Egypt on Great Western Road has been mentioned, probably not overrun with basses but occasionally has some interesting used pieces.

Edited by KevL
spelling