£2195
Huddersfield

Misdee

Lakland USA 44-60 J-Sonic

Alder body

maple fingerboard with ebony dots

Quartersawn graphite-reinforced neck

Vintage -style tweed  OHSC

After much deliberation I have decided to put this bass up for sale. I am the original owner, and the bass is in brand-new practically unplayed condition . The case has never been used and all the case candy is unopened and intact.  The bass was a custom order from Lakland ,  delivered to me at the end of May 2013. I don't play in a band and the bass has had only very occasional home use since I got it. For most of the time this bass has had Thomastik flats on it, but I have just put a brand new set of D'Addario XL  nickel roundwounds on for the next owner.  Anyone who has played a USA-made Lakland will know the level of  quality . Hand-made in Chicago, these instruments really are up there with the very best. 

The neck profile of this bass is an exact  replica of Joe Osborn's  famous 1960 prototype Fender Jazz bass and is the best Jazz neck  I have ever played. I couldn't describe the fingerboard as highly figured, but it does have some subtle and attractive birdseye figuring.  The concentric stack knobs are a nice  feature too, and are reputed to give a slightly different sound than the three -knob vol/vol/tone arrangement that replaced them on later Jazz Basses. This bass also has a beautiful piece of vintage-style tort for the pickguard, much better than the run-of-the-mill examples you see on most basses nowadays. 

The ChiSonics pickups  are a true single-coil made with neodymium magnets  and have Jazz Bass- like   overtones, but with a higher output and wider frequency response. They are  a unique- sounding passive  pickup with  deep lows , a  muscular and very musical  midrange and a nicely extended treble. John Pirrucelo at Lakland told me that they wanted to make a pickup that was reminiscent of the Hagstrom Bisonic/  Hammond Dark Star but that was less finicky to adjust properly . The Chisonics really are a seamless blend of the modern and vintage tone and are quite addictive. I bought this bass because, after getting my Yamaha BB2024X,  I was looking for another  high-end passive bass that similarly  had the depth of tone and dynamic range of an active bass but without being too "hi-fi" and with  the more organic tone  you get from a passive bass. These Chisonics really deliver in  all those respects. 

I shudder to think what a new one of these basses would cost at the current exchange rate and you would have wait about six months for it . This is an absolutely mint example that has belonged to a very careful  middle aged man who has no life whatsoever. Please let me know if you have any questions or want any more info. The bass is located in Huddersfield, West Yorks. I have still got  all the original packing material that the bass arrived with from the States  so I am willing to ship at cost ,  at my own  discretion, of course. Definitely no trades. 
image.thumb.png.5184c04a32a37a77af948a63660a3e53.pngimage.thumb.png.ea65973b49ffbd80861feb096806bb02.png

image.thumb.png.266df39edcd9dc94fb9ed46dc74b6a5c.pngimage.thumb.png.ba390433566c62302b11e04046f7592e.png
image.thumb.png.3cce5d438f03ec08626cd481c089c5e0.pngimage.thumb.png.293f6168dfe916cf1bdc4171894a3a09.png
image.thumb.png.8a2aa268e83bc73d10e2c48202021975.pngimage.thumb.png.9780d29b6c32dad11c0379fe56bce249.png
image.thumb.png.a32c45599ade61ddb93149b8d3d496d0.pngimage.thumb.png.b4a7f2fe8df436bdf22525bed6ac0290.png
Edited by Misdee
Sold
  • Like 7

• 4 weeks later...