Why become a member? ×

Aria Pro II SB-R150 Electrics Restoration

Deedee

Wasn’t sure whether this should be in here or in Repairs & Technical but here goes….

The restoration of the electrics on my '83 SB-R150 is finally complete and I'm very pleased with the result. Huge thanks go to @Prostheta for his wizardry and patience and also to Rautia Pickups for the pair of MB-1E replacement pickups.

This bass was originally listed for sale on here several years ago although I subsequently found it through an ad elsewhere (EDIT - I was actually given the heads up by @Fionn of the ad on FB). Turned out that the BC ad was indeed still live. I purchased it because it was in such beautiful condition, including the original case. The big (very big) and obvious issue was that the original pickups and electronics had long since been removed and disposed of. After conversations with Prostheta as to what was or wasn't possible I decided to push on with trying to get it restored to as close to stock as possible.

The first pictures show the bass as I bought it, then with everything stripped out. Note the packers that had been fitted inside the pickup cavities to take the screws for the previously installed Armstrong pickups. Fortunately after some careful chipping away I managed to clear the old glue off to reveal the original pickup screw bushings.

As you can see the loom (including 6-position Varitone and preamp) that Prostheta provided is a work of art and it seemed a shame to have to try and cram it into the seemingly tiny electronics cavity in the back of the bass. It was a squeeze but it went in and it is beautifully quiet running. No humming, no buzzing, even sat directly in front of the amp with the volume up to gigging levels it is uber quiet.

Finally there are a couple of pics with this now complete bass taking its place alongside my R60 and R80. I may look out for a set of black or bronze pickup screws as the silver ones do stand out a little but all in all I'm thrilled with it. It sounds great with a powerful preamp and a huge range of tones and I know it’ll be good for years.

I'm a happy chappy and I hope you enjoy the pics showing the seemingly simple but oh not so simple transformation.  😀

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.JPG

9.JPG

10.JPG

11.JPG

12.JPG

13.JPG

14.JPG

15.JPG

16.JPG

17.JPG

Edited by Deedee
Typo!
  • Like 16

Lovely

I needed to replace the MBll pickups in my SB900, but i didnt like paying the Paypal fees for Rautia pickups, and on top of that, i couldnt have them till August, so i got Aaron Armstrong to make a custom set, and i had them within a week

Aria SB900 b.jpg

Edited by fleabag
  • Like 3

On 29/06/2019 at 17:06, Deedee said:

Wasn’t sure whether this should be in here or in Repairs & Technical but here goes….

The restoration of the electrics on my '83 SB-R150 is finally complete and I'm very pleased with the result. Huge thanks go to @Prostheta for his wizardry and patience and also to Rautia Pickups for the pair of MB-1E replacement pickups.

This bass was originally listed for sale on here several years ago although I subsequently found it through an ad elsewhere (EDIT - I was actualy given the heads up by @Fionn of the ad on FB). Turned out that the BC ad was indeed still live. I purchased it because it was in such beautiful condition, including the original case. The big (very big) and obvious issue was that the original pickups and electronics had long since been removed and disposed of. After conversations with Prostheta as to what was or wasn't possible I decided to push on with trying to get it restored to as close to stock as possible.

The first pictures show the bass as I bought it, then with everything stripped out. Note the packers that had been fitted inside the pickup cavities to take the screws for the previously installed Armstrong pickups. Fortunately after some careful chipping away I managed to clear the old glue off to reveal the original pickup screw bushings.

As you can see the loom (including 6-position Varitone and preamp) that Prostheta provided is a work of art and it seemed a shame to have to try and cram it into the seemingly tiny electronics cavity in the back of the bass. It was a squeeze but it went in and it is beautifully quiet running. No humming, no buzzing, even sat directly in front of the amp with the volume up to gigging levels it is uber quiet.

Finally there are a couple of pics with this now complete bass taking its place alongside my R60 and R80. I may look out for a set of black or bronze pickup screws as the silver ones do stand out a little but all in all I'm thrilled with it. It sounds great with a powerful preamp and a huge range of tones and I know it’ll be good for years.

I'm a happy chappy and I hope you enjoy the pics showing the seemingly simple but oh not so simple transformation.  😀

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.JPG

9.JPG

10.JPG

11.JPG

12.JPG

13.JPG

14.JPG

15.JPG

16.JPG

17.JPG

WOW! That is a lot of love for Aria's right there! Impressive, they are lovely basses ;)

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, BassTool said:

WOW! That is a lot of love for Aria's right there! Impressive, they are lovely basses ;)

I'm nor sure whether you're showing off or just being greedy...😉

Either way...nice collection😍😍

• Haha 1

On 29/06/2019 at 17:06, Deedee said:

This bass was originally listed for sale on here several years ago although I subsequently found it through an ad elsewhere (EDIT - I was actualy given the heads up by @Fionn of the ad on FB). Turned out that the BC ad was indeed still live. I purchased it because it was in such beautiful condition, including the original case. The big (very big) and obvious issue was that the original pickups and electronics had long since been removed and disposed of. After conversations with Prostheta as to what was or wasn't possible I decided to push on with trying to get it restored to as close to stock as possible.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.JPG

9.JPG

10.JPG

11.JPG

12.JPG

13.JPG

14.JPG

15.JPG

16.JPG

17.JPG

• Like 2

1 minute ago, TheGreek said:

Just being greedy............ but I am quite proud of them too! 😆

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
1 hour ago, W1_Pro said:

where did you get the aria knobs? They are like hens teeth....

I used the volume and tone knobs from my R60 (that bass is a little more beaten up). The pointer knobs can still be bought new.

Edited by Deedee

51 minutes ago, W1_Pro said:

Didnt know that! Where from if you don't mind me asking?

I managed to get mine from a UK tool company through eBay but they don't appear to be a registered user anymore. ☹️

The part code is MS91528-1P2S and they are made by a company called EHC. They have plenty of distributors but the minimum order costs can be prohibitive. The first part of the part code is the name of the range but it's the last 4 characters that actually denote the type of knob. They also do a skirted version which is suitable for taller shafts if the pots have been replaced.

EDIT - Just to note, these have 2 set screws instead of the original 1. I couldn't find the 1 screw versions anywhere.

Edited by Deedee
  • Thanks 1

• 7 months later...

Glad you got this restored fine! I feel like I missed out on the action 😕

From the outside, that's absolutely spot on. I've got a lot of love for the SB-R150, my white whale! So much so, I got around to making my own hybrid SB-1000/R150 build. Single pickup like the 1000, with the R150 appointments but with the cats eye inlays. Also, there's something distinctly different on one side....

IMG_9476.thumb.JPG.48139308afc1e9f4078cf1a1279c7866.JPG

IMG_9491.thumb.JPG.3d90fd80a79b45d86e8a51ed0a0f67bd.JPG

I'm glad that I didn't go for two pickups....those toggles make the circuit another level of complex on top of how they are anyway! She'd look quite comfortable amongst your existing bijou clutchette!

Edited by Prostheta
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Prostheta said:

Glad you got this restored fine! I feel like I missed out on the action 😕

From the outside, that's absolutely spot on. I've got a lot of love for the SB-R150, my white whale! So much so, I got around to making my own hybrid SB-1000/R150 build. Single pickup like the 1000, with the R150 appointments but with the cats eye inlays. Also, there's something distinctly different on one side....

IMG_9476.thumb.JPG.48139308afc1e9f4078cf1a1279c7866.JPG

IMG_9491.thumb.JPG.3d90fd80a79b45d86e8a51ed0a0f67bd.JPG

I'm glad that I didn't go for two pickups....those toggles make the circuit another level of complex on top of how they are anyway! She'd look quite comfortable amongst your existing bijou clutchette!

That looks stunning. Great work 👍

On 29/06/2019 at 19:06, Deedee said:

5.jpg

7.jpg

It's funny how much you can learn from seeing photos of instruments in restoration. One thing of note is how Matsumoku processed the neck blank on the control side between the pickups before the wings (and their stringers) went on. It looks like they went in with a router or even a table saw to the side of the neck blank whilst still a five-piece laminate, built the whole thing up and then "revealed" the channel between both pickup routes later in the game. It's a valid technique, and I did something similar to this with a Firebird build.

The control cavity looks like it possesses some of Aria Pro II's "afterthought" processing work, which seems to be pretty common. The 70s SB-1000 was the master template which was then modified for the 80s SB-1000 and further for the SB-R150. Even though the cavity machining is better than the SB-1000, it still looks like they went in and did some manual machining anyway. Is that the pickup access wire emerging over the control cavity lip?! Man, that was so close to being a total Friday job. One false move and the world would be one SB-R150 short, perhaps one stressed worker less. Either or.

Have you also noticed that most SB bass neck laminations have mismatched Maple, usually with one having figure and the other not? Looks like your R150 has some Birdseye in one!

• Like 1

I think there’s a compliment in there somewhere 😂

Yes, that is the hole for the pickup wires but it looks pretty neat In the flesh. I did change the rather shouty silver screws from Rautia for some other black ones that look more in keeping with the originals.

29614163-B2F0-465C-88A7-3DAEC30E6322.jpeg

• Like 1