Why become a member? ×

New Valves (Tubes) of the JJ variety..

VTypeV4

I've dropped some new pre-amp valves into the Fender Bassman 135 this week - I chose some JJ ECC803 types. They're a large plate version of the ubiquitous ECC83 / 12AX7 valve found in most amps these days and are apparently better suited to lower gain circuits and hifi applications that require more headroom. I've used them in my 60 watt hand-built amp too and they seemed to work great so thought I'd drop them in hoping for great results again..

48086387706_87b95e5377_k.jpg803 Fender 135 b by VTypeV4, on Flickr

48086349813_b51aec5818_k.jpg803 Fender 135 by VTypeV4, on Flickr

I've also put a new '81 in the driver stage as it had an incorrect Chinese ECC83 in that place. I've retained the original (Fender branded US RCA valves - they're still good!) for a rainy day. I'm happy to report that they work great! Big fat, warm, smooth with just a touch of natural compression when pushed - no all out drive - so they're working just as I'd hoped. At least as good as the old US valves but worth a lot less!

39802401683_a37e29ae41_k.jpgBeavis nearly by VTypeV4, on Flickr

32892158228_963b82597c_k.jpgBeavis nearly by VTypeV4, on Flickr

Beavis (60 watt hand-built) is bit higher gain than the 135 - think '70s Marshall. I've used the 803 types in both pre and driver stages and they've been rock solid offering an improvement over the Chinese valves they replaced - again, cleaner, louder, fatter etc.. 

If you're after a bold clean valve sound with smooth,  natural, unobtrusive compression then the JJ ECC803S come very highly recommended from me. Second only to my favourite ECC83, the Siemens production ones from the '80's. 

33760325598_75f44b5e00_b.jpgBuss bass by VTypeV4, on Flickr

• Like 2

I've not tube-rolled for a long while and nor did I do it enough to be able to have any authority to select favourites by ear. However, I have always liked the JJ valves when I have used them. Interestingly, buying from Watford Valves, the in house premium Harma brand STR ECC83 is in fact a specially selected, drive tested and low noise JJ :) - I mean, if you want the best of the batches, then the Harma represents good value for money. The ECC83S was the model I went with.. Umm.. I think ha ha! 

I've always had good results and good service from them. I had a Sound City years back which blew up not long after I'd had it so pilfered the valves and sold it on. Two of the six EL34 were JJ so dropped them into my 60w custom head (pictured above) with a notable improvement over the Sovtek '34s that were in it previously. This was my first experience of the JJ brand.

Many years later, the V4 had a re-tube by Long Time Fred of this parish when it was his and he had a full line of JJ ECC83 (standard small plate types) put in - I think there's seven in total! I've swapped a few out over the years opting for Sovtek LPS 12AX7 in the driver and inverter stages but just as a 'see how it responds' experiment - the differences are negligible to these ears..

So, ECC81, ECC83S. ECC803S (long plate), EL34, KT77 and 6L6 are well up to the mark in terms of price point, performance and longevity - I may plump for some JJ KT88 when the V4 is due next time..