Why become a member? ×

Best bass soft case recommendations?

Chrisbassboy5

On 29/06/2019 at 00:57, casapete said:

Cheap (but not nasty) alternative - Gear4music foam case. Shaped or rectangular, both £39.99. Had mine for 4 years plus now, done every gig with it and still looks new. Lightweight, superb protection even in a van and easy to use. 

This.  I've got one too.  Really good protection, and cheap.

On 28/06/2019 at 14:07, NickD said:

My partner bought a Blake for the last time she took her Jazz to Germany, as she'd struggled previously with a full on hardcase, but still wanted plenty of protection. It's since been perma-borrowed by me, and I'm really impressed with the level of protection, the weight and the general pracitical design... rucksack straps, useful pockets etc. It's not had a particularly hard life (yet), but strikes me as really well made and durable.

I have one of those, its my main case. The strap broke as I had too much stuff in it - I have fixed it now but don't use the straps much any more, and the little tags on the zips came off. I still like it as a case though

Roksak.  I have a BG20 which coped well with a couple of long haul flights (in the cabin) weekly practices and gigs.  Over 10 years old and looking a bit tatty now.  They also do a BG30 which is thicker padding.£35 and £50 respectively.

If you are intending to carry this case for any distance on your back make sure you try it first with the bass and anything else you indent to put in it. IME some of the cases mentioned are not very comfortable to wear for more than a couple of minutes walking.

Also the person who suggested a Hiscox case was being more serious than you might think. A lot of the semi-rigid cases are about the same size and weight as a Hiscox, and if you don't need to carry it on your back it may actually be a better option.

Protection Racket for semi-rigid soft case everytime - you'll get good service from Dean and Mandy at Pro Racket if there is ever a problem.  Having said that, i'd never carry my basses to a gig in anything other than a Hiscox hard case but they don't have shoulder straps which may be a downside for some people - soft cases on gigs are not my bag....(ahem, sorry)

• 2 weeks later...

Further to this, bought the Blake case from eBay.  Initial thoughts:

- Well-made

- Delivery a touch slow but not bad, just not the typical ‘next day’ (not that this was promised - just high expectations)

- Very solid - mid-way between a gig bag and foam case

- Roomy - almost too much, my Cort rattles around in it a bit

- Someone at the company is clearly a smoker. Quite a strong smell of second hand smoke, not very pleasant but sure it will go in time.

Overall I’m pretty happy with it.

On 19/07/2019 at 16:32, Moos3h said:

Further to this, bought the Blake case from eBay.  Initial thoughts:

- Well-made

- Delivery a touch slow but not bad, just not the typical ‘next day’ (not that this was promised - just high expectations)

- Very solid - mid-way between a gig bag and foam case

- Roomy - almost too much, my Cort rattles around in it a bit

- Someone at the company is clearly a smoker. Quite a strong smell of second hand smoke, not very pleasant but sure it will go in time.

Overall I’m pretty happy with it.

I've tried to find them online and nothing. There was one on EBay and it sold, contacted the seller asking if there were others to sell and he/she didn't come back.

Any ideas? Wonder if they've gone bump or something..?

Link or info anyone please?

Chris

The Blake cases were clearance stock, think the company went bust a while ago and they were auctioned off with a fair few finding their way onto eBay. Once they're gone I think that's it for new ones.

The next cheapest alternative would probably be a Gator Transit at £55:
https://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Gator-GT-BASS-TAN-Transit-Series-Bass-Guitar-Bag-Tan/2AFJ?origin=product-ads&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIk7OP3MHG4wIVFODtCh0TYQX7EAQYAyABEgKXM_D_BwE

Nice cases, not as sturdy as the Blake (I have both the Blake and the Gator Pro Go X which is basically the Transit) but more sensibly proportioned if you have a regular style bass and definitely lighter/easier to carry.

Edited by lemmywinks

18 hours ago, lemmywinks said:

The Blake cases were clearance stock, think the company went bust a while ago and they were auctioned off with a fair few finding their way onto eBay. Once they're gone I think that's it for new ones.

The next cheapest alternative would probably be a Gator Transit at £55:
https://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Gator-GT-BASS-TAN-Transit-Series-Bass-Guitar-Bag-Tan/2AFJ?origin=product-ads&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIk7OP3MHG4wIVFODtCh0TYQX7EAQYAyABEgKXM_D_BwE

Nice cases, not as sturdy as the Blake (I have both the Blake and the Gator Pro Go X which is basically the Transit) but more sensibly proportioned if you have a regular style bass and definitely lighter/easier to carry.

Actually, I like this and darn cheaper that the M80 or Fusion bags. Just want one to protect my Ibanez SR655.. might do the trick! Ta m8