Why become a member? ×

This looked interesting...

prowla

My first thought was that it might have been damp and the wood underneath had expanded; the pic of the neck pocket looks decidedly ropey.

However, with the colour underneath showing through, I'm wondering if it was refinished without proper prep?

Edited by prowla
  • Like 1

Looking at the picture with the strap button, it looks like the body has been plastic wrapped , or is it paint ? it’s a shame really, if it was just paint issues it would be a nice project 🙂

FBF56A6D-F0DC-40FF-9D49-A959B45E4BF3.png

Edited by Reggaebass

32 minutes ago, TheGreek said:

No pretense that it's working or belonged to a long lost Uncle. Currently £12 with 6 days to go - the winning bid may come from somebody who has read this thread.

Yep - fair dues...

It's an odd bitsa - the neck & tuners are from an old MIJ bass, I'm guessing a shortscale EB0 copy, likely Matsumoku trom the trc shape. The body, and I think, the bridge, are home-made and the pickups & surrounds are the same as those used on Italian-made Melody EB copies.

The cracking to the finish is similar to damp damage but possibly the result of applying finish over very unseasoned wood - there's no evidence I can see on the neck. I had an old Watkins Rapier guitar with very similar finish issues - turned out that was common to many of them, the result of a thick, plasticky poly lacquer on top of untreated wood.

Probably worth about £30 for some interesting parts that would stay in the spares box for ever... :lol:

That folks is a Hayman 40/40 or Shergold Modulator  body with a cheap Japanese neck transplanted to it and a custom pickguard and pickups. Note the Perspex bridge. The lacquer cracking is typical of a Hayman, looking closer it has F holes so definitely a rare Hayman 20/20 ?semi acoustic body. It’s something I will definitely be having a bid on! 

Edited by ash
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ash said:

That folks is a Hayman 40/40 or Shergold Modulator  body with a cheap Japanese neck transplanted to it and a custom pickguard and pickups. Note the Perspex bridge. The lacquer cracking is typical of a Hayman, looking closer it has F holes so definitely a rare Hayman 20/20 ?semi acoustic body. It’s something I will definitely be having a bid on! 

Dammit! I was planning on bidding too, but only if it stays cheap...

1 hour ago, ash said:

Ah yes - it did look reminiscent of something...

Presumably not a Modulator, as it's not got the rectangular cutout for the module?

Edited by prowla

If it’s the same one and it would be an amazing coincidence if another with a replacement MIJ neck existed It’s turned up on eBay a few times. Looks like it’s been parted out as last time it had it’s original pickup assembly on, that must have been sold separately. I actually have an original smoked perspex bridge and pickup cover set for the 40/40.  

3 hours ago, ash said:

Giving myself a brisk slapping for not having noticed the F-holes & not registering having seen that bridge before - which I have.

Best of luck if you have a punt!

• Thanks 1

Just racking my brains over this - didn't a batch of NOS Hayman necks come up comparitively recently, like within the last 5 years or so? I remember the headstocks drilled for the (absent) clear insert badge.

Might have to use the "search" function...

Edit - just did a search and I might just be hallucinating, unless it's longer ago than I thought - search results didn't go much further back than 2014.

Edited by Bassassin

26 minutes ago, Bassassin said:

Just racking my brains over this - didn't a batch of NOS Hayman necks come up comparitively recently, like within the last 5 years or so? I remember the headstocks drilled for the (absent) clear insert badge.

Might have to use the "search" function...

Edit - just did a search and I might just be hallucinating, unless it's longer ago than I thought - search results didn't go much further back than 2014.

I'm pretty sure I recall that too.

That was a few years ago I think. You can get them still there’s a chap on the Shergold site who stockpiles all the old Shergold and Hayman stuff and sells bits occasionally. I bought a 6 string bass bridge off him once. I think he has great difficulty parting with anything associated with Shergold as I had a long wait for it! He’s a nice guy and a total enthusiast for this kind of thing I’m sure he’ll have his beady eye on this! 

Hmmm I seem to recall the 50/50 as having a shorter scale length but I maybe wrong

Edited by ash

6 hours ago, ash said:

Do you know I had it on watch. But knowing others here are after it - I’ll not bother.

im already in another bidding war. 🤦🏻‍♂️😂

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, ash said:

That was a few years ago I think. You can get them still there’s a chap on the Shergold site who stockpiles all the old Shergold and Hayman stuff and sells bits occasionally. I bought a 6 string bass bridge off him once. I think he has great difficulty parting with anything associated with Shergold as I had a long wait for it! He’s a nice guy and a total enthusiast for this kind of thing I’m sure he’ll have his beady eye on this! 

Hmmm I seem to recall the 50/50 as having a shorter scale length but I maybe wrong

Rarer than hens' teeth, the 50/50. It was defo short scale, that much I remember. Last one I saw on evilbay or Reverb several years ago and the seller wanted well over a Grand for it.

• Haha 1