Why become a member? ×

Giggling in Norway

Steve Browning

My band is going to be touring in Norway (probably) and I am keen to hear any advice people have. It's too far to go over in the van with our gear so how do others deal with it? Maybe it is better to do the drive with others flying over but I am keen to hear others experience.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

• Like 1

What's your route? Are you just playing a couple of shows in towns that are close to eachother, or are you travelling across the country? Distances here can get brutal, and roads (especially along the coast) can be windy and narrow. 

I've talked to a number of international musicians who tour Norway, and they all comment on the same thing: This country is freaking expensive. And they're right, especially for visitors who will have to rely on restaurants and cafes for their sustenance, where we are probably among the highest-priced in the world. Alcohol is also extremely pricey in bars and pubs, so be aware of that before the bill arrives. Taxis are also often a shock to many, especially people from the US, UK, etc. Expect to pay around £10 just for getting into a cab, and £30 for a 15 minute drive.

I have toured in Norway. But we gigged mainly around the south and were driven by local promoters. 

I echo the above regarding prices, it’s expensive so be prepared for that.

We flew out, so I checked about back line before going, and took a DH di pedal in case.

The people were amongst the friendliest I’ve ever met. We were out there during their national day, which was amazing. I recorded a local singer we got chatting to after a gig, she sang some Norwegian traditional folk songs, I was so taken with the language and history. 

Its a beautiful country. Enjoy your giggling. 

I played Norway last weekend and have played there before. Great country, great crowds. 

My thoughts would be;

• The airlines will fleece you if you don't do your homework. I'm talking about flying with instruments but Ryanair charged us £150 for a misspelling of the drummer's name! It was cheaper for my bass to have it's own seat last week. 
  • Alcohol is expensive so get it on the rider if you want a few drinks.
  • We got meals and accommodation included in every show which made life easier. With last week's festival we even got a driver to pick us up and ferry us around. 

Have fun. I can't wait to go back.

7 minutes ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Calling @BassTractor....

Always willing to help, but Steve was rather clear about the purpose of the thread, and as a classical musician, I'm not savvy in these things (I always bought an extra seat for my 65 stop pipe organ on one side and for the other organ on the other side, and that was that).

That said, If there's anything I can do, @Steve Browning, just send me a PM. You could also have my mobile phone number just in case.
Oh, and if you happen to be in the extreme South of Norway, then I'll buy you an extremely expensive beer!
(not as expensive as the £15 pint I bought next to the Notre Dame - they should've burnt that café to get even, not the goddemn church!)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I was in Trondheim in early June - a lovely part of the country. I have been in Oslo a few times, but only on short business trips. I have never gigged there, but I wanted to chime in about how expensive it is there. This cannot really be ignored. Now, bear in mind that I live in Sweden...not exactly known for being a cheap destination. On this last trip, my colleague and I stayed in an AirBnB and had to sort our own breakfast (despite the BnB part of the name...). A 1.5 litre carton of milk and a small pack of Corn Flakes was twice what I would pay for it in Stockholm which, my visitors say, is about 25% more than what it would cost in London. 

Be warned!