Why become a member? ×

Budget studio monitors?

SH73

I'm after a pair of budget studio monitors.

At the moment I don't have a music room  to keep them on studio desk so until then I need something I can store after use. Budget preferably under £100 or around as they may get knocked etc. Not child proof.

Beringer

Alexis

Pre sonus.....

Mackie

Edited by SH73

It may not be for you, but £100 would buy a better pair of headphones than it would buy speakers.  Lots of people mix on good cans these days.  Also takes poor room acoustics out of the equation.

If you are set on speakers, I’d get old Gifu speakers and an amp from ebay.  It’d p#ss all over any studio monitors in the £100 budget range.

48 minutes ago, Pea Turgh said:

It may not be for you, but £100 would buy a better pair of headphones than it would buy speakers.  Lots of people mix on good cans these days.  Also takes poor room acoustics out of the equation.

If you are set on speakers, I’d get old Gifu speakers and an amp from ebay.  It’d p#ss all over any studio monitors in the £100 budget range.

Git three good quality headphones.The problems is that headphones are good when I play late evening.

6 minutes ago, Jus Lukin said:

Samson BT4s seem pretty good. They won't compete with 'real' studio monitors, but are very good for the price.

I have the BT4s in my music room which I listen and play through, and BT3s for the TV downstairs, which sound good too. The 4s are specced down to 45hz, the 3s to 80hz.

Are they good enough to play bass through? 

1 minute ago, Jus Lukin said:

Depends how loud you want to go, but yep, good for learning material or noodling at home. I'm getting ready to move home so my room has no treatment, so I'm using the 80hz low-cut on the to get rid of that low extension which gets a bit washy in the small space. In a decent sounding room they would be great so long as you're happy to hear the sound rather than feel it in your nuts!

The drivers are covered to, so a little better protected around kids! I did notice a bit of a break-in time- they seemed to need a bit of playing time to clean up and realise their full frequency response.

To me , it's getting all technical with low-cut  etc. I will be getting a room dedicated to music in near future and have no intention to put some hideous room treatment foam etc on walls, therefore I'm after a good set of monitors. From internet research, Yamaha HS7 seem to be best suited for this purpose.

I have been looking for budget monitors in meantime to assist mixing and mastering without constantly relying on headphones.

3 minutes ago, Jus Lukin said:

Ah, well, read up as much as you can. Monitors are, after a point, only as good as the room you put them in and the smaller it is, the worse.

It's not as much fun as buying gear, but if you want good sound it is really worth boring yourself silly finding out how to at least ease the worst issues of a small-room music space. Decent gear won't fix the room, but a decent room makes cheaper gear sound a lot better.

I suppose I get the room dimensions windows, door layout to work out what's best. I still read that Yamaha monitors are bung for the buck.