Why become a member? ×

amp/cab stands - user views?

Soledad

Looking for a folding stand to get an RS212 off the floor and angled up a bit. Quite a few folding stands seem to angle a lot and I only want around say 15 degrees, maybe 20 (a guess). Found a Quiklock BS317 which might be OK seems the angle is adjustable.
Anyone using siimilar? and then I have to figure where to put the head (Tone Hammer). This thing might be really useful on my Genz Benz combo too.
One way or another I want the cab off the floor - Actually worth bothering with these, or chasing rainbows?

QL317.jpg

General consensus is that bass is directionless while higher treble is much more directional, and of course you'll lose proximity effect. So they are useful for guitar amps. I guess it would make the controls more convenient to access for a bass amp but I'd be worried about the alteration to the tone/sound/bass.

I used one just like that and hated it.  It was for a Barefaced FR800 (so Big Baby 2 size). It was wobbly and it made no real difference to me.  

I saw a guy on Facebook that had made a small metal shelf for such as situation. it had a lip that hooked down over the front edge of the cab and the amp head sat on the shelf with a lip at the back tlited up to stop the amp head sliding backwards. 

54 minutes ago, paul_c2 said:

and of course you'll lose proximity effect

That's the idea Paul, I don't like the 212 on the floor though it does depend on room, size, shape etc a bit. At £30-ish it's worth a go for me and I think I might like the BG combo on it... if I can lift it on :)

Thanks all as usual, good balanced advice and shared experience - top gang.

10 minutes ago, Muppet said:

I saw a guy on Facebook that had made a small metal shelf for such as situation.

I can do that... got a hammer. Neat idea really. The head's so light I was wondering a patch of Velcro between cab and amp. Can't do the ratchet strap @SICbass, I have to have everything straight and tidy, I mean have to.

12 minutes ago, Soledad said:

That's the idea Paul, I don't like the 212 on the floor though it does depend on room, size, shape etc a bit.

Is the problem that it sometimes sounds boomy, or that you cannot hear yourself very well?

I use something like this for a little lift and a little tilt. Folds down into a smallish shape too. And I put a micro amp head on top no bother.

Not sure if it's just in my head but it does seem to help with hearing myself on a loud stage. 

https://www.bax-shop.co.uk/speaker-stand/konig-meyer-28130-amplifier-and-monitor-stand?gclid=CjwKCAjw9dboBRBUEiwA7VrrzVyt0395iCw6ZINHSvBS2I-ZFzWfR20LvIZ9NWp0X2DiBNmFgN7GXRoCmE4QAvD_BwE

• Thanks 1

I had 2 of those Quicklock stands, they both broke. In the spec is says they're supposed to take up to 45kg. I'd say that's wildly optimistic. The combo I used it for was about 28kg and the 'locking' screw thread thingy sheared on both. I would never buy another one. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Marvin said:

I had 2 of those Quicklock stands, they both broke.

Well, so happens my GB combo is 28Kg... :) And the RS212 is about 22 I think.

May have hit a problem as the 212 is deep, about 50cm I think. Looks a bit like it would fall off the front of the stand.

On 28/06/2019 at 20:26, Soledad said:

Well, so happens my GB combo is 28Kg... :) And the RS212 is about 22 I think.

May have hit a problem as the 212 is deep, about 50cm I think. Looks a bit like it would fall off the front of the stand.

I can't remember how deep the combo I had was, but I was never very satisfied with the stability the cab on the stand.

• Like 1

I'm going to give this more think. In some spaces I know the 212 is better a bit off the floor, don't need the tiltback so much. A low flat platform with folding legs would probably do it. Maybe I just want a 410... :)

5 minutes ago, Soledad said:

I'm going to give this more think. In some spaces I know the 212 is better a bit off the floor, don't need the tiltback so much. A low flat platform with folding legs would probably do it. Maybe I just want a 410... :)

Or get a RS 112  and stick your 212 on top of it.....😉

5 minutes ago, Muppet said:

Or get a RS 112  and stick your 212 on top of it.....😉

Better still, pick up one of those bargain 810s that no-one wants anymore. Just use that as a stand for the 'wall of sound' look. Strange thing going on with used cabs: 210 around £300, 410 around £250, 810 around £200. Everyone wants a Barefaced 110 and a class D in their pocket. Girl's blouses :)