Why become a member? ×

13 types of bass player

This was from a 2018 edition of Music Radar so it might've been mentioned here but I've not seen it if it was so....

NB it's clearly light-hearted in tone so not to be taken seriously

https://www.musicradar.com/news/13-types-of-bass-player-a-spotters-guide

clearly I'm #12 😀

Edited by Barking Spiders

Such an article must surely have occurred after the following exchange at the office:

Editor: 'Folks, we are on a tight deadline and we need some bass content urgently. Rob, can you just draw up some kind of list thingy based off your own preconceptions which requires no research whatsoever?'

Rob: 'Sure thing boss, I will get right on it after I finish this Pot Noodle.'

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Wow surprisingly accurate on two for me haha

The Blues Baron, I do have a custom built black not quite gold bass and i am partial to taking it for a walk.

Mr Metal, My Corvette is my baby but i do use my thumb more nowadays and plenty of fuzz, only on breakdowns though!

I enjoyed that.  With the following edits this sums me up pretty well.

1. The Rocker

Bass: Battered Fender Squier Precision

Technique: Rock solid Limited

No pedals, no picks, no prancing about: the Rocker’s creed is simple but devastatingly effective. They have come to rock, and rock they will.

Usually found having the time of their life with their covers band at the local pub, they plays it unapologetically loud and care not for your eardrums. There is no purer sight in all of bassdom. 

I thought it was quite amusing and not at all lazy. Stereotypes they may be but quite well-written. Obviously the hep jazz cat wasn’t very good - as we know, jazz is more aimless noodling* rather than odd time signatures - that would be number 14 - the ex-music school fusion nutjob who listens to the Elektrik Band, Tribal Tech, UZEB and the Yellowjackets all day and cannot for the life of them find the “1” ;)

* not my phrase but beloved by some on BC...

• Like 1