Why become a member? ×

NBBD - Yamaha BB435

Danuman

Well, NBBW really...

And oh dear. I joined the bandwagon. I’d been gassing for a 5-string PJ and some of you recommended a BB. Of course, it was only a matter of time before a BB435 came along and I just couldn’t resist...

Initially, I thought the neck and string spacing were too wide, but after a few days getting used to it, it seems like I can play a lot faster... it’s an odd sensation.

The overall balance of the strings across the fretboard is OK. I wish the E and B stings were a bit snappier around the middle of the neck, but then I realise this is an entry-level bass.

Overall I’m impressed by the quality at this price-point. It’s well-designed, with the right attention to detail. It plays great and the pickups sound brilliant. The bridge is the only thing about it that feels a little underwhelming. It’s not a deal-breaker, but anybody know of any drop-in replacements?

Anyway, I didn’t like a few specific things about the 735 - plus there are some big changes happening in my life - so I decided not to go for a more expensive bass. Time will tell if that was the right thing to do. Until then at least it’s a lot of fun to play!

• Like 2

Minor update: I decided to put some fresh strings on, even though I thought the old ones still had some life left in them. 

Well, turns out I was wrong! The new strings sound waaay snappier. Good news, I suppose, if old strings like that still sound pretty nice. B is still a little less defined, but very very acceptable. I’m super pleased. :)

The BB neck is quite slim for a 5, the nut width is the same as a modern 4 string Fender Precision, about 42mm. I started with a Fender P5 and found it far too chunky; I thought I'd be done with 5's, but the BB was a revelation!

Edited by dannybuoy

On 28/06/2019 at 13:11, Danuman said:

Minor update: I decided to put some fresh strings on, even though I thought the old ones still had some life left in them. 

Well, turns out I was wrong! The new strings sound waaay snappier. Good news, I suppose, if old strings like that still sound pretty nice. B is still a little less defined, but very very acceptable. I’m super pleased. :)

What make of strings have you on now and gauge,   glad you're enjoying the bb

Edited by whamni

Ernie Ball Regular Slinky’s. (45-130)

They sounded great, but they’ve already gone a bit dull due to a couple of ridiculously warm rehearsals with a few large groups in rather small studios. I’m guessing they normally have a longer life-span.

On 04/07/2019 at 15:20, Danuman said:

Ernie Ball Regular Slinky’s. (45-130)

They sounded great, but they’ve already gone a bit dull due to a couple of ridiculously warm rehearsals with a few large groups in rather small studios. I’m guessing they normally have a longer life-span.

Strange they went dull, I have used Ernie Ball on all my basses down the years and they would last forever and a day lol, I also have EB on my BB734 albeit flats and love them.