Why become a member? ×

Fender Super Bassman cutting out issue

sirmuppet

So I have a Fender Super Bassman and a Neo 4x10. A little while ago it starting playing up. After a couple of minutes of use I'd get these loud buzz for a second then the amp wouldn't output anything other than a slight buzz. If you turned the volume up the buzz just stayed at the same volume. All 6 valve warning lights would go red on the back. If I restarted the amp then all would be fine.

I later found out it only seemed to happen when the amp was first turned on, almost from a cold start. I took it to my local music shop who were able to get it to do exactly the same thing as me and they contacted Fender. Fender said it was the board that houses the valve check/self biasing. It was replaced but I can't remember what they said but it was something along the lines of it wouldn't work like it should then all of a sudden it was working perfectly. They tested it for a few days and no issue. Took it to a gig and same thing. Tried it at home and the same thing. FYI I moved house so I know it's not a wiring issue with the building as it's happened now in 4 locations. 

So I took it back to my local shop who tested it and couldn't get it to go faulty. They suggested it might be a faulty speaker cable. I've ordered one but thought I'd ask on here for any other ideas as I'm not hopeful that a new speaker cable will fix it. I should also add that when the amp was in the shop the first time they were using their own cab not my Neo, so it's not a cab issue either. 

Any ideas?

On 28/06/2019 at 10:33, geoffbyrne said:

Have you tried looping the FX Out to FX In?  (If it has one?)

G.

I haven't tried that but it does have one. I have bypassed the pre-amp by going into the FX return and that was the first time I can remember it doing that. Would doing what you suggest rule anything out?

It will disable the bypass switch which sometimes sticks or partially shorts.  Looping with a guitar cable would make things work normally if this was a fault otherwise you're back to where you were.  What was the result of bypassing the pre?  Good luck solving prob.

G.

Edited by geoffbyrne

2 hours ago, geoffbyrne said:

It will disable the bypass switch which sometimes sticks or partially shorts.  Looping with a guitar cable would make things work normally if this was a fault otherwise you're back to where you were.  What was the result of bypassing the pre?  Good luck solving prob.

G.

Ah, ok. So bypassing the preamp would have the same effect really? If that's the case then it still happens. In fact the first time it happened was when I bypassed the preamp and went direct into the FX return. 

• 2 weeks later...

Still happening even after replacing the speaker and power cables. 

So I play for about 5 mins or so, maybe not even that and then the below happens. When I restart it the amp is fine and will run without issue. Seems to only be when you start it up from cold. 

On 13/07/2019 at 15:28, bazzbass said:

well, let it warm up first, so be it

True, but it shouldn't be doing this. I also do let it warm up. For over a minute in stand by like the manual says. 

Edited by sirmuppet
More info