Jump to content

NBD - first in 20 years


skankdelvar
 Share

Recommended Posts

Two whole decades after my last bass guitar purchase I've finally lashed out and increased my collection by 100%.

But - you ask - what can it be? A classy Fodera? A Wal? An original stack-knob Jazz with OHSC?

Spoiler

Behold a cute little mint condition Squier Bronco from BC-er hooky_lowdown, destined to be adorned with a Musicmaster scratchplate, a couple of Jazz knobs and a tug bar. 

I'm so happy :)

pic: hooky_lowdown

DSC7296_670.jpg

 

 

  • Like 17
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm  slightly confused and if I'm honest I  am solely responsible for my confusion. 

We have never met, are unlikely to meet and in addition, I have never seen a picture of you.  Yet, I've somehow always  imagined ( as one usually does conjur a mental image of others based purely on their ramblings within these forums) that you were a rather large Nicholas Soames /Patrick Moore type look-alike. 

Based on that assumption being correct, this bass is far too small for you.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Update:

I've shimmed the neck to drop the action a touch, tweaked the relief and filed the nut a bit lower. It was already a nice easy player but now it's exactly how I want it. Sorting the intonation required the Telecaster compromise where one string is very slightly flat at the 12th and the other similarly sharp. Maybe a cent or two out and therefore not audibly a problem. IMO, 2-saddle bridges not a problem (for me).

So half an hour's work and it's spot on for my purposes.

Other things: immaculate paint job; really nice neck profile with a pleasant satin finish;  smooth and tidy fret ends; supposedly 'cheapo' tuners actually feel perfectly solid. Minor issues: a bridge plate screw is slightly squint and the neck pocket's a bit rough. Slight fret buzz at 11 on the G but I won't often be going up the dusty end.

That's the geometry sorted. Next step, the sonics, then bling it up.

Still happy :)

Edited by skankdelvar
  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, Dan Dare said:

Could I enter a plea that you don't bling it up? It's cute as it is (and also likely to be rare because relatively few will have been sold).

All blinging will be reversible :)

Edited by skankdelvar
Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, Dan Dare said:

Could I enter a plea that you don't bling it up? It's cute as it is (and also likely to be rare because relatively few will have been sold).

I think we can rely on Skank to keep any adornments tasteful. A bit like this, perhaps....

images(14).jpg.010c8eadb0357708002761523ba91969.jpg

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Skinnyman said:

Nice.

I think I prefer my more restrained approach though 😀

There is much to admire about the 'explosion in a Swarovski crystal factory' approach but it would clash with my intention to pair the instrument with a stage costume comprising white tie and tails, this in keeping with my plans for a one man Fred Astaire tribute act.

Tappa tappa!

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, skankdelvar said:

There is much to admire about the 'explosion in a Swarovski crystal factory' approach but it would clash with my intention to pair the instrument with a stage costume comprising white tie and tails, this in keeping with my plans for a one man Fred Astaire tribute act.

Tappa tappa!

Who gets to play Ginger?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, SpondonBassed said:

Either of Richard Baker or Ted Rogers in a ginger wig would do.  Skank's not that fussy...

I'd be be perfectly satisfied with architect Richard Rogers in a Ted Baker blazer

1 hour ago, Skinnyman said:

Hopefully, neither are they.....

giphy.gif

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 26/06/2019 at 23:23, leschirons said:

I'm  slightly confused and if I'm honest I  am solely responsible for my confusion. 

We have never met, are unlikely to meet and in addition, I have never seen a picture of you.  Yet, I've somehow always  imagined ( as one usually does conjur a mental image of others based purely on their ramblings within these forums) that you were a rather large Nicholas Soames /Patrick Moore type look-alike. 

Based on that assumption being correct, this bass is far too small for you.

Nicholas 'Fatty' Soames....bloody hell!! LOL!!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, NikNik said:

Nicholas 'Fatty' Soames....bloody hell!! LOL!!!

Not so fat these days but still the chap about whom a woman once observed: "Nick Soames' approach to seduction is like having a wardrobe fall on you with the key sticking out".

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, skankdelvar said:

Not so fat these days but still the chap about whom a woman once observed: "Nick Soames' approach to seduction is like having a wardrobe fall on you with the key sticking out".

He must have been BoJo's mentor, then?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...