Why become a member? ×

NBD - first in 20 years

skankdelvar

Two whole decades after my last bass guitar purchase I've finally lashed out and increased my collection by 100%.

But - you ask - what can it be? A classy Fodera? A Wal? An original stack-knob Jazz with OHSC?

Spoiler

Behold a cute little mint condition Squier Bronco from BC-er hooky_lowdown, destined to be adorned with a Musicmaster scratchplate, a couple of Jazz knobs and a tug bar. 

I'm so happy :)

pic: hooky_lowdown

DSC7296_670.jpg

• Like 17

I'm  slightly confused and if I'm honest I  am solely responsible for my confusion. 

We have never met, are unlikely to meet and in addition, I have never seen a picture of you.  Yet, I've somehow always  imagined ( as one usually does conjur a mental image of others based purely on their ramblings within these forums) that you were a rather large Nicholas Soames /Patrick Moore type look-alike. 

Based on that assumption being correct, this bass is far too small for you.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Update:

I've shimmed the neck to drop the action a touch, tweaked the relief and filed the nut a bit lower. It was already a nice easy player but now it's exactly how I want it. Sorting the intonation required the Telecaster compromise where one string is very slightly flat at the 12th and the other similarly sharp. Maybe a cent or two out and therefore not audibly a problem. IMO, 2-saddle bridges not a problem (for me).

So half an hour's work and it's spot on for my purposes.

Other things: immaculate paint job; really nice neck profile with a pleasant satin finish;  smooth and tidy fret ends; supposedly 'cheapo' tuners actually feel perfectly solid. Minor issues: a bridge plate screw is slightly squint and the neck pocket's a bit rough. Slight fret buzz at 11 on the G but I won't often be going up the dusty end.

That's the geometry sorted. Next step, the sonics, then bling it up.

Still happy :)

Edited by skankdelvar
  • Like 4

50 minutes ago, Dan Dare said:

Could I enter a plea that you don't bling it up? It's cute as it is (and also likely to be rare because relatively few will have been sold).

All blinging will be reversible :)

Edited by skankdelvar

51 minutes ago, Dan Dare said:

Could I enter a plea that you don't bling it up? It's cute as it is (and also likely to be rare because relatively few will have been sold).

I think we can rely on Skank to keep any adornments tasteful. A bit like this, perhaps....

images(14).jpg.010c8eadb0357708002761523ba91969.jpg

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Skinnyman said:

Nice.

I think I prefer my more restrained approach though 😀

There is much to admire about the 'explosion in a Swarovski crystal factory' approach but it would clash with my intention to pair the instrument with a stage costume comprising white tie and tails, this in keeping with my plans for a one man Fred Astaire tribute act.

Tappa tappa!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, skankdelvar said:

There is much to admire about the 'explosion in a Swarovski crystal factory' approach but it would clash with my intention to pair the instrument with a stage costume comprising white tie and tails, this in keeping with my plans for a one man Fred Astaire tribute act.

Tappa tappa!

Who gets to play Ginger?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SpondonBassed said:

Either of Richard Baker or Ted Rogers in a ginger wig would do.  Skank's not that fussy...

I'd be be perfectly satisfied with architect Richard Rogers in a Ted Baker blazer

1 hour ago, Skinnyman said:

Hopefully, neither are they.....

giphy.gif

• Haha 2

On 26/06/2019 at 23:23, leschirons said:

I'm  slightly confused and if I'm honest I  am solely responsible for my confusion. 

We have never met, are unlikely to meet and in addition, I have never seen a picture of you.  Yet, I've somehow always  imagined ( as one usually does conjur a mental image of others based purely on their ramblings within these forums) that you were a rather large Nicholas Soames /Patrick Moore type look-alike. 

Based on that assumption being correct, this bass is far too small for you.

Nicholas 'Fatty' Soames....bloody hell!! LOL!!!

8 hours ago, NikNik said:

Nicholas 'Fatty' Soames....bloody hell!! LOL!!!

Not so fat these days but still the chap about whom a woman once observed: "Nick Soames' approach to seduction is like having a wardrobe fall on you with the key sticking out".

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, skankdelvar said:

Not so fat these days but still the chap about whom a woman once observed: "Nick Soames' approach to seduction is like having a wardrobe fall on you with the key sticking out".

He must have been BoJo's mentor, then?