Why become a member? ×

i'm new here!

neil___lien

Dear BassChat community! 

i just signed up! i'm an independent musician who's released a few things here & there between 2009 & 2012, then quit music for a few years & came back to it in 2015 through guitar. Then i started focusing on bass from 2016 onwards. So i wouldn't say i'm an awesome musician but i'm a serious amateur who is desperately trying to get better! 

i've owned a couple of expensive instruments but i definitely feel more comfortable on budget basses. i currently own & play a Harley Benton BZ-6000 (active, 18V, 6 strings, neck-through, super heavy bass, essentially for composition, chords, looper stuff) & an Ibanez TMB30 (passive, short scale, with Black Nylon Flats, for vintage baselines). i also own a Vintage V74MRJP (passive fretless, flatwounds, Road Worn Jaco-like finish) but don't have it with me currently as i recently moved to Spain & will get it back from Paris over the summer. 

i'm a huge Neo-Soul fan, love classic Soul & all its variations. Jazz too, although i'm not able to play any of the songs that belong to that repertoire yet lol. The Sevilla scene doesn't even know these genres exist (i mean, sure, they've heard of Jazz... a little bit) so i haven't joined any band yet. i am composing and recording for other people, here & in Paris, using my own DAW, & i also release my own stuff as outtaseezun. 

Anyway, i'll be going to Coventry & Birmingham over the summer. Don't know if some of the members of this community live nearby, but i would love to know where the best places are to get a new or a second hand bass. i'm thinking either a low-budget precision to paint Lake Placid Blue (Harley Benton PB-50 to mod later?) or a low budget semi-hollow. i'm currently G.A.S.sing over the Greg Bennett RLB-4 but can't seem to find much about it. 

Anyways, thanks for reading through!

Welcome to the board - lots of good stuff on here, will keep you busy for hours!!

Plus, your fellow board-members will find lots of suggestions to help you to spend your money.....

Speaking of which....If you want a Harley Benton, Lake Placid Blue, you could do worse than this kind of thing:-

https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_enhanced_mp_4eb_lake_blue.htm

• Thanks 1

Hey guys!! Thank U very much for the warm welcome! 

3 hours ago, mangotango said:

Welcome to the board - lots of good stuff on here, will keep you busy for hours!!

Plus, your fellow board-members will find lots of suggestions to help you to spend your money.....

Speaking of which....If you want a Harley Benton, Lake Placid Blue, you could do worse than this kind of thing:-

https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_enhanced_mp_4eb_lake_blue.htm

I've considered this bass, it does have some features that I really like. Have U tried it? Do U own one? 

14 hours ago, outtaseezun said:

Hey guys!! Thank U very much for the warm welcome! 

I've considered this bass, it does have some features that I really like. Have U tried it? Do U own one? 

No I don't and no I haven't, I'm afraid; it was just something that I saw in an online review (which was quite positive) whil I was casting around for an inexpensive P-bass option; and so I thought that Thomann would be the place to check out the price. What impressed me most about the review was that the guy got all the way through it without saying "Sandberg" once... :lol:

Edited by mangotango
why can't I TYPE?!?!?!?!
  • Haha 1

Okay Thank @mangotango! i actually spent a good half hour watching a bunch of Youtube videos about those basses, but the slim neck, & the general sound and aspect of the bass is not what i'm looking for. If i could, i would just get one of those Lake Placid Blue Squier Classic Vibe 50s Precisions that are now super rare & "expensive" (for my pockets anyway). The Lake Placid Blue of these Enhanced basses is not the same, the body shape is not my thing, the slim jazz bass neck either... i'm looking for Pbass maple neck, passive, just one pick-up so that if i decide to upgrade it, i don't flip up too much lol.. i've never done this. i'm pretty good with my hands, good with the normal set up of my basses & dealing with minor issues, but i've never messed with the electronics. i'd like to do the copper tape isolation thing in the cavity, get a super good, clean sound. But i'm really struggling to understand how pick-ups work, the whole parallel/series wiring if i get something that has two pick-ups, the "ground" wires (where to connect, why, how?) ...

i'd like to have something simple that i know inside out! 

Thanks for the suggestion though, i admit it was very tempting! 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, outtaseezun said:

i'm pretty good with my hands, good with the normal set up of my basses & dealing with minor issues, but i've never messed with the electronics. i'd like to do the copper tape isolation thing in the cavity, get a super good, clean sound. But i'm really struggling to understand how pick-ups work, the whole parallel/series wiring if i get something that has two pick-ups, the "ground" wires (where to connect, why, how?) ... 

The Repairs and Technical and Build Diaries sections of Basschat can be very useful.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hey guys!

i'll be in Coventry between the 10th of August & the 17th. Do U guys know by any chance if anyone is selling one of those basses second hand in the area? 

- Squier Classic Vibe Precision 50s Lake Placid Blue
- Squier James Johnston Jazz Bass - Lake Placid Blue
- Greg Bennett Royale RLB-4
- SX SJB75 Trans Blue
- Squier Classic Vibe 60's Jazz Bass Daphne Blue
- Squier Vintage Modified 77 Jazz Bass in Sunburst or Black