Why become a member? ×

ABM issue. Advise needed

Stofferson

Hi guys apologies if wrong forum area.

Advice needed, currently testing some new pedals through my amp at home, thought I'd tweak the amp settings too,

It's an ashdown ABM IV 600.

Basically, I've always had the valve drive on and the knob to around 11 o clock for some slight fart, anyway thought I'd try it in full and no volume, basically as I progressively turn the gain knob for the valve drive the volume drops to nothing, turn the valve drive off and boom everything is back in full blast, guessing the preamp valve has blown ?

2 minutes ago, Stofferson said:

Hi guys apologies if wrong forum area.

Advice needed, currently testing some new pedals through my amp at home, thought I'd tweak the amp settings too,

It's an ashdown ABM IV 600.

Basically, I've always had the valve drive on and the knob to around 11 o clock for some slight fart, anyway thought I'd try it in full and no volume, basically as I progressively turn the gain knob for the valve drive the volume drops to nothing, turn the valve drive off and boom everything is back in full blast, guessing the preamp valve has blown ?

That'd be my first thought too, although it's maybe just been knocked/shaken loose. It could be one of the surrounding components or a power supply issue so maybe give @Ashdown Engineering a bell and they can walk you through some simple fault finding.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bigwan said:

That'd be my first thought too, although it's maybe just been knocked/shaken loose. It could be one of the surrounding components or a power supply issue so maybe give @Ashdown Engineering a bell and they can walk you through some simple fault finding.

Thanks dude I may give them a call, everything else still works, just that valve drive portion so no added grunt 

As above, could be the valve has worked loose a little which would be the first thing to check, just open up the head by undoing the top 4 screws and sliding the head unit out of the sleeve. Just check the valve is seated nice and tight and give it a wiggle. If that doesn’t solve the issue then the valve may need replacing so pop in a quality 12AX7. If that doesn’t solve it(it should) then just give us a call 01621 857853. Let us know how you get on. Good luck!

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 06/07/2019 at 14:12, bazzbass said:

can't get better customer service than that :)

Too True 🙂 oh this is sorted now, the valve needed changing, although i did call Ashdown just to check and they sent me some pots out just incase.

Top quality service everytime from Ashdown. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1