Why become a member? ×

Slippy strap? here's something I found

I recently bought a daphne blue Fender logo strap like this one:

91wwn7rp-wL._SX425_.jpg

It looks great with my '72 Daphne blue musicmaster, however I'm used to using Suede straps or ones with a similar grippy reverse side. Due to the webbing on the back of this one, my feather-light musicmaster does exhibit some minor neck dive which is not apparent when using a suede strap - My seafoam Levys Suede one previously used with this bass has been promoted to my JMJ Mustang and looks great with it as it is very close to the same colour.

I figured that something grippy stuck to the inside of the new strap might help, and today while browsing the popular high-street emporium, 'the land of pound', I found this stuff - 'Stick 'em up non-slip rug gripper'. I don't remember how much it cost though. 😝

It looks to be about a gnats wotsit narrower than the strap and the grippy dots are a pretty close match to daphne blue, so I am hopeful that it should work well and not look out of place. I will be trying it later and I will report back here with my findings. There's 1.5m on the roll, but I think I will only need to use about 50cm on the strap.

1858832603_ruggripper.JPG.4f278ff9abbc2105c3d58c634b063fae.JPG

Edited by Jean-Luc Pickguard
  • Like 3

I have stuck it onto the area where it is needed. The adhesive seems to be very good, on a par with carpet tape and the rubbery dots are nice & grippy.

Just tried the bass briefly and there is no longer any trace of neck dive.

I'll have to see how it works long-term - it it comes unstuck or starts to peel, but initial impressions are good.

If I redo it I might try sticking a load of one inch strips about an eighth of an inch apart instead of a single long piece to try to minimise any wrinkling that occurs when the strap is flexed.

1503711405_non-slipstrap.thumb.JPG.10efb4108b68d2517a2ecf860a61548f.JPG

• Like 4

update - this has not been a total success as the adhesive of the tape doesn't stick well to the polyester webbing of the strap and after leaving it overnight the tape actually fell off, so some additional sticking agent is requires.

If tape was cloth it could probably be sewn, but its like thick parcel tape or sellotape so sewing would probably cause it to tear. Not sure what to use to give additonal stickage - maybe some kind of contact adhesive? Any ideas?

Thanks for the suggestion, I remember  copydex from school - its the one that stinks of tramps' trousers if I recall correctly.

That could work, along with using thin strips of the tape rather than one long piece.

I can't remember whether the odour is likely to stay or go away once the glue is dry though.

Edited by Jean-Luc Pickguard

1 hour ago, Stub Mandrel said:

You could get a shark-skin strap - might get a bit bloody if you play shirtless...

Or glue wire wool to the inside of the strap? Perhaps the best way would just be to staple it to your shoulder. It shouldn't move then 😁

• Haha 1